what to expect?

ab11

Reaction score
hiya girls, iv got my first appointment at the fertility clinic on thursday.
(this month as gone so quick)
i dont kno what to expect.
what do they ask?
what questions should i ask?
everytime i think about i get butterflies in my tummy.
i dont wats gonna happen at the appointment, really i hope i get a nice gyno
xx

Basically it will just be a summary of everything that has happened to date, what it means and how they intend on proceeding.

They might also take your stats like height and weight to work out your BMI and ask you questions about your lifestyle like smoking and things.

They might also do a carbon dioxide test to make sure that neither of you smoke.

All i'd suggest is to have an idea about what you want to happen so that you can ask them about it and also ask questions about the timescale involved between then and you actually starting treatment and the different stages between.

Take a pen and paper and write it all down xx

okay thanks lou, so nothing much really happens on the 1st appointment.
well i kinda thought not much would happen.
i dont kno wat i want to happen, jus to hav our lil family as soon as!!
okay i'll take pen n paper :)
xx

Hiya hun, my first appointment went pretty much as lou explained (apart from i didnt have a co2 test) I also had a smear test done. She then referred me for 21 day bloods, a hycosy scan and OH's Semen analysis tests.

Went for our 2nd appoinment last month and was prescribed provera to induce a period and then clomid to start on day 2 of my new cycle.

Good luck hun - dont be shy to ask them questions and just be as honest as you can answering the questions they ask you

xxxxx

really hope they do a smear, im more nervous now.
i cant stand someone down there.
so even if i hav already had my 21day blood and hubby as had his sperm done already will we hav to do it again do u think?
how long did u hav to wait for ur 2nd app after u had ur 1st?
hope it wasnt too long
xx

My first appointment was 10th October and my second was 30th January. They gave us the 3 month time frame so we could get all tests done. My 3rd appointment is on the 30th April to see how im going on the clomid (if obviously i havent had my bfp by then) I've got 3 cycles of 50mg Clomid and on the second i have to go for 21 day bloods again to see if its working.

I'm not sure if they will repeat your tests again. Think a smear is pretty standard. Trust me tho hun once you get started on treatment you will get used to having someone other than your OH down at the bottom end. And you get used to it. After my first transvaginal scan i felt completley at ease and it doesnt bother me at all anymore. Just remember its all for a good cause.

just try and relaz about it all

xxxxx

ahh okay so cause we've already had semen test n my blood done hopefuly- with abit luck we dnt hav to do it again.
tbh i dont even let my oh down there, i dont feel comfortable.
so hope i dont hav to hav a smear on thurs, im gonna hav to prepare my self just incase.
that seems like a long gap between appoitments, oct to jan, suppose it is the nhs though.
xx

Trust me it flies by and before you know it your feeling nervous all over again about the next appointment. If you dont mind me asking what were the results of your OH's SA?? And im guessing by your 21 day bloods you ovulate regularly? xxx

his SA was satisfactorty, thats all they said to us.
ye i ovalate, im like clock work.
af every 28 to 32 days.
i had a early misscarige last march.
i only kne i was pregnant for 2days.
so i might aswell get used to these butterflies eh :(
xx

Yeah but a few butterflies and nerves are a good thing hun. Better to be that way than to be super confident and then come back down to earth with a thud.

My situation is a bit different to yours then. If you dont need any more tests they may just start you on a treatment. But im not 100% sure

xxxxx

Hi hun we started tests last november, at out first appointment they just did our hight, weight ect and had a chat about our life style, i'd already had bloo tests and OH had a seaman test but because he was drinking/smoking during the first one they told him to cut all of that out and test again in 6 weeks.

They booked me in for an ultrasound mid november and then i had to book for a HSG on my next cycle but as it was so close to christmas they couldnt get me in so i had that done at the start of Feb, at that appointment they said everything was ok and prescribed clomid. I've just finished my first course of tablets and am going for an ultra sound on Wed to see if they're working.

Once you get the ball rolling things can move pretty quick, and dont worry about having people @down there' i was terrified but now i dont care its just somthing you get used to!

Good luck x x

we were much the same - no scans or anything on first appointment, just a chat with the nurse who asked us to get a load more tests done (ultrasounds, smear, more sperm, redo bloods, hsg) and next appointment was 3 months later. That wasn't too bad as we had all those things to do in between so we felt like we were working towards things.

My 1st appointment was like Louise's, just chatting through everything really.
I needed 21 day bloods done and they arranged those.
I was also asked what I wanted from my referral.

There was only 4 weeks between our 1st and 2nd appointment. Were NHS too.

My second appointment. I had a transvaginal scan, a little uncomfortable and we discussed arranging HSG for next cycle. I was offered clomid but wanted to make sure tubes were clear before potentially wasting 3 cycles of clomid.

My 3rd appointment is Thursday coming :) So 8 weeks to allow for unpredictable cycles.

Honestly, its not pleasant but you get used to having to get your bits out :lol:
And sorry to have scared you in my journal :( Feel bad now :hug: x

thanks girlies :)
it seems rather daft that ask what ur after from the referrel hmmm let me think a baby!!!!
hopefully my appointments wont to far apart with abit of luck.
its okay charliebear, i need to man up really anyways :)
xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back