What the heck is this terrible two's business!!!

katie05

Reaction score
Hello, :D my lo is 22 months and has started having awful tantrums, often for not much. Its not everyday but have just started randomly and he's had no changes etc. A friend at mums and toddlers said its maybe the terrible twos starting. Crikey, i hope thats not for the entire 2nd year! Is this something all lo's have and how long does it last?
Also, how do you deal with a screaming, headbanging toddler!! :wall:

Love Katie.x

My 15 month old has started this recently, please dont tell me i am going to have this for months :pray: :D

Ignore them. :D

DS only ever had 2 tantrums - one in a supermarket - I walked off and carried on shopping. He suddenly realised I wasn't there and shut up and trotted behind me.

One in a shopping centre, I tucked him under my arm and carried on the conversation I was having. he stopped when he got bored.

My niece had vile tantrums till we took her away on holiday at 3. We never spoke to her in a tantrum, would simply carry her if we wanted to move then put her on the floor and ignore her again. After a few days she stopped - and never had a tantrum for us again. At 7 - she still has them for her mum - who tries to talk her out of them.

reward good behaviour - such as talking about a problem, asking for something politely, ignore bad behaviour (but afterwards offer no rewards for stopping bad behaviour - otherwise they learn to do bad behaviour, then stop to get rewards :wink: )

haha Lydia has tantrums now and again but not too often. She's really defiant though, and has developed selective deafness when it's convenient for her to pretend she hasn't heard us. Drives me bonkers.

Aimee is having tantrums a couple of times every day :twisted: I just ignore her! She hasn't figured out its not getting her any where yet though. Jess grew out of it when she was about 3 and a half but she still has the odd tantrum now.

Totally ignore tantrums, they get the message. Oh, and don't be afraid if they "head butt" walls or furniture, they will soon find out it hurts and stop! If you try to stop them doing it, they are getting attention. It looks painful and the temptation is to restrain, just remember, nobody deliberately hurts themselves for long! Its just another form of attention seeking! :shock:

:hug:

Lisa

alschafr said:
lol it only gets worse but in different ways

hmmm I think some days I'd rather have a tantrum than a 14 year old twisting what you say :roll: they're far easier when they can't argue back :wink:

Thanks for your replies ladies. :D

Why has my thread been moved? I cant see it anywhere else:think:

Its in babies and toddlers - general

ask a mum is for pregnant mums to ask questions of mums with LOs :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90