What TENS Machine?

megsmeadow

Reaction score
Anyone have any good or bad experiences with a particular make?? Any machines that can be used as a straight forward tens machine for after pregnancy?
I would like to buy one, probably second hand to maybe ebay or local gumtree. I'd prefer not to rent as I'd like something I could use again if it has a bit of durability.
Any ideas? :think:

Haven't used one hun but hope someone knows for you hun :)

I spoke to my midwife about tens machines and how do you choose. She said any 'labour' tens will do as they all work the same, she said the price difference is just down to branding.

Thanks Lauren, that helps!! My OH said just to go ahead and get one, because I'll hopefully be able to reduce my co-codamol leading up to the birth using it too, and of course for our 2nd baby when the time comes (hehe). Right, now for some shopping :)

I thought hospital had them for you to use...didnt realise you had to bring your own!! :confused:

Apparently you have to PAY!!! On the leaflet my midwife gave me it has info on hiring them and there all roughly £30 for 6 weeks. I have just bought the one above^^ so i can use it at home before i go to hospital.

Tiny I think some hospitals do, mine doesn't!! Someone I know got one from her physio but mine don't have any to lend out either (looks like I'm in the poor end of town!). My midwife gave me a leaflet for the mamtens hire which is from Mothercare I think, still about £25-30 for 6 weeks. Because of my SPD I want to start using it as pain relief sooner, my GP said I could start now although there's mixed messages about them bringing on contractions (GP said if that were true everyone would be using them and there'd be no membrane sweeps and the likes!).
My OH felt £40 was reasonable for new, I want to invest wisely though and get the most for my money.

So...theyre happy to give us epidurals, but not tens machines?! :wall: How much do you reckon one epidural would cost when you count in the anaesthetist (sp?) time, cost of the drug they use and the equipment? sometimes I think the world is just upside down. Or maybe the world is the right way up and Im upside down!!

So...theyre happy to give us epidurals, but not tens machines?! :wall: How much do you reckon one epidural would cost when you count in the anaesthetist (sp?) time, cost of the drug they use and the equipment? sometimes I think the world is just upside down. Or maybe the world is the right way up and Im upside down!!

Here, Here!!!!!!

I've had a TENS Bodyclock and TENS Elle they were both very similar. :)

I totally agree about the other costs of pain relief compared to TENs, I just think the medical community are scared of that sort of progression. I know the consultant I work with gets quite anxious when he feels he can't 'treat' someone with medication so they end up being on all sorts of weird and wonderful combinations when all they might have needed is some straight forward behavioural therapy!! One of the GP's at my practice certainly doesn't rate TENs at all, and I suppose since pain is so subjective different things will work for different people, and if they have not experienced or coped with pain in that way they aren't as likely to recommend it.
I'm still on th hunt for a machine, my OH is getting sick of mae comparing all the functions and prices, poor guy :)

I really liked mine - it worked well for the first hours and through some pretty intense contractions!

I rented the Elle Tens and was fine for me, used for hours before going up to hospital and used it there for a while.

I just bought an Obi TENS on Ebay for £20!!!! My friend gave me her spare electrodes as she had borrowed a TENs for her labour and got extras. Looking forward to trying it out!!

:yay: I dont really care much about evidence base for pain relief, as long as there is enough evidence to know that it is safe Im prepared to try it out, like you say, pain is subjective and what works for one might not for another BUT Im sure it wouldnt cost much to have half a dozen on the labour ward and offer it to women to try if they want to.

My tens came today! Looking forward to trying it out, although i did swiftly put it away in the cupboard - out of sight, out of mind!!! haha

:yay: A good old bit of denial, you can't beat it ;) I'll be trying mine out as soon as it arrives, anything to get off these co-codamol!! :)

The advice is not before 36 weeks as some think it can start contractions although the evidence that happens is pretty poor. The manufacturers say use before then under medical supervision only, and my GP said it was fine for me to try rather than creeping up to stronger painkillers now for SPD.
So even if you're not in any pain, there's no harm having a practice with it after 36-37 weeks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiara.y2
Back