what size baby clothes to pack in hospital bag

Positive37

Reaction score
am really struggling ..... i have most of my bits:
breast pads
maternity pads
toiletrees etc

but unsure what size to pack for Moo - there is newborn 7.5lbs or newborn 10lbs?
as we need to pack vests /body suits and an outfit what size do i pack?
dont want to buy too much 7.5lb but what if shes small??

ahhhhhhhhh

mw did make suggestion to pack her first outfit in a separate bag so midwife at time can dress her along with clean nappy

whats everyone else doing and whats best way to start packing this bloody bag!!
have i left it too late?

It's never too late till ur in hosp lol but iv packed a couple of newborn and a couple of 0-3mnths plus a few sleeveless body suit/vest things a hat and scratch mittens then nappy size 1 with cut outs for cord iv packed 8. And a bag of cotton wool and a hooded towel and shawl for photos hoping not to need all that really but best to be prepared ha x

I've packed newborn upto10lb size vsts and sleepsuits. I haven't bought any up to 7.5 lb clothes cos at my last growth scan she was already measuring nearly 7lb. It is hard though if you have no idea how big baby is going to be. Luckily I have some idea. Just hope now she isn't over 10lb lol xx

I've packed 5 sleeveless body suits and 5 sleep suits in a mixture of newborn, up to 1 month and 0-3 months. I just wasn't sure as my bump has measured big, but a growth scan also showed lots of fluid. If worst comes to worst, there is a big Tesco Extra about 5 mins away and I'll have to send hubby to get things! I don't think I'll need any 'tiny baby'. I'm already looking at some of the newborn things I have and doubting they will fit!

I've only packed 2 vests and 2 sleepsuits and a cardigan, do you think i should put more in? X

I've got a mixture, some newborn up to 7.5lbs and the some up to 10lbs and some 0-3 months too. Figured 1 will have to fit! Hopefully x

i packed 2 asda starter packs, newborn and 0-3 and one newborn outfit, 10lb one. since i had no idea my lo was gonna be big im glad i did, plau i was in hosp for 3 days so used all those while in there. newborn clothes literally just fit her and only lasted a week, the 0-3 stuff lasted a month and fit from the start so id say deffo pack at least 1/2 0-3 babygrows and the rest newborn as your baby will probably be a more normal size than mine lol, and if you have small things then take them, if theyre too small then at least your oh can take them back to the shop n swap them

I've only packed 2 vests and 2 sleepsuits and a cardigan, do you think i should put more in? X

Iv only packed 3 of each figured hubby can bring more in if I need them x

I have 4 newborn sets (vest and sleep suit) and 3 0-3 sets as will be in after for baby to have blood sugars done (as I have GD) and they pee/poop and spew over everything rather have more than less.

Last edited:
I took all newborn and was lucky that she fit into them! I'd definitely take some 0-3 just in case. And take around 4 or 5 outfits! I was there overnight and she got through the four original outfits quite quickly so more had to be bought in. It'll depend if you're staying in long or not x

I've packed 4 sleepsuits in newborn but they really vary in size so I know at least one or two will fit. He has five vests all newborn and a first size outfit to come home in. 2 pairs of scratch mits, 1 pair socks, 2 cellular blankets, 1 normal blanket, nappies and wipes. I've shown OH what a sleepsuit and vest looks like and where to find sizes, if we need more he can just bring them in.

I've packed 2 7lb suits and 2 slightly bigger ones.

My daughter was 6lb 9 and everything drowned her. She spent her first 12 hours in a blanket and nappy as I had complications afterward and noone got round to dressing her!

If you're breastfeeding it's advised to spend lots of time skin to skin. So that lessens the need for too many clothes :)

----------------
baby giz born 6th Feb 2011
next one due 12th Aug 2013

I've packed 4 sleepsuits in newborn but they really vary in size so I know at least one or two will fit. He has five vests all newborn and a first size outfit to come home in. 2 pairs of scratch mits, 1 pair socks, 2 cellular blankets, 1 normal blanket, nappies and wipes. I've shown OH what a sleepsuit and vest looks like and where to find sizes, if we need more he can just bring them in.

Thatss a really good idea I think il also show hubby as its a fact he prob doesn't know where iv put stuff where sizes are etc. Really good idea same with where iv got nappys diff sizes and mat pads too I think x

I was expecting a 9lb whopper like the rest of my family so only packed 0-3 months and ended up having to phone my mum from hospital and ask her to go to Sainsburys and buy a load of newborn stuff that still drowned her! She was 7lbs 3oz.

ah thanks girls i think tomorrow i will get everything out that i have brought and see what i have and go from there. Planning a big wash tomorrow of all her bits
TBH clothes is the one thing that we really havent brought as yet - and when we do it will only be all in ones, little outfits i will wait for once i know what size she is
its a tough one isnt it... so far shes measuring really well and was 4lb at my 29 week 4D scan so she might be a big girl!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back