What point do you get admitted?!

Summergurl

Reaction score
As a ftm I know nothing!
My midwife care so far hasn't been the best & everything I've learned to far has come from on here or the NHS website.

I'm just curious as to what stage do the hospital consider admitting you?
I hear lots of people going up with contractions and being only a few cm dialated & being sent home. This scares me!

They will keep you in once you are 4cm or if your contracting 3/4 times in ten mins. Best thing to do is call once you think labour is happening and they will talk to you. They could tell you go in and get checked then send you home again. They like you to stay at home for as long as possible as it helps your labour progress. I hoped to go into natural labour but think il be induced now so they will keep me in for monitoring. Hope this helpsx

It's the unknown that is worrying me. I love to plan & hate lateness, plans not going to plan but this is one thing I have no control over! Haha

I know tell me about it but I'm now most likely going to have an induction so I guess I will get the control and the knowing. That's if I go along with it. I have questions for them at my appointment x

This panics me a little as I have no clue when to go to hospital. I was induced with harper so was at the hospital the whole time. Harper was also born quick for my first, I was in active labour for 1 hour 15 mins. I didn't find out until I had been induced that I had a weakened cervix due to a biopsy and lazer treatment I had a few years previously due to an abnormal smear. This was apparently the reason my labour was quick and the midwife said other labours I have will be quick too. I really don't wanna give birth at home on my own, OH works a lot of awkward shifts so can be out the house a number of hours in the day and night, so I think I'm gonna call the hospital as soon as I get any pains. I'm gonna discuss all this with my midwife next week x

Let us know how u get on blue.
It is a terrifying situation isn't it, I too panic that I'll put it off thinking I don't want to bother them &'then give birth at home!!

I was told to stay at home until you get 3-4 minute contractions or you can no longer bare the pain. Lots of my friends had gone in and been sent home and I really didn't want that to happen so I really did wait until I couldn't bare it. I remember her checking me when I got there and saying I was 6cm and I was so relieved as I knew 4cm was the cut off

Last edited:
I never made it in with my first as it all happened very fast, so have been told to go in as soon as I have my first contraction this time!

I was quite worried about this, also about being disheartened by slow progress... So I took a hypnobirthing course & it completely changed the way I thought about it. The longer you stay at home the better, your labour progresses better & you are less likely to have unwanted interventions etc....

On the day I was so distracted doing my hypnobirth practice that I didn't even realise I was in labour until it really was kicking off and I was in no doubt at all. So when I transferred to hospital it was all systems go. I was so grateful for the tools & perspective that hypnobirthing gave me & I highly recommend it.

Last edited:
When I arrived at hospital I was 8 cm. My waters didn't break until I was 9cm. The hospital said not to go as my watts hadn't broken but I lied and just said I thought something had gone. The day before us had extremely painful Brackton hicks which the hospital had monitored me for so I didn't realise I was actually in labour. Labour is defo somethings you can't plan for unless it's arranged you just have to go with the flow.

Usually they'll keep you after 4cm I think, however if you live quite far and depending on the severity of your contractions they may take you sooner, I didn't really know I was in labour for the first 6 hours my waters must have broken when I went to the loo or had a shower or something because I had no gush, no leaking hadn't noticed, I went from 4cm at 10.30 and had my son at 14.18, I didn't find it too bad or maybe I just don't remember I didn't get into labour room until an hour before he was born as there weren't enough midwives to cover on labour ward so I was told if they didn't get a room soon I'd have to give birth in the wee observation room where you get assessed, had my wee birth plan all ready....waste of time for me anyway lol barely got my trousers off and said no epidural and he was coming

Yes generally it is 4cm (established labour).
With my first I went in at 10cm haha kept thinking are they bad enough yet?! Still took another couple of hours to actually deliver her though.
My second I was keen to avoid that as I wanted a water birth so went in not dilated at all haha! The midwife gave me a sweep though & let me stay, although that was in a midwife led unit & there was no one else there! I then got to 6cm an hour & a half later, got in the pool & then she was born two hours later in the water. Was a great experience x

our labour ward (had a tour before going in) said that they wouldn't admit until you couldn't talk through the contractions, however they admitted me after my waters went, which was 12 hours before she was born

our labour ward (had a tour before going in) said that they wouldn't admit until you couldn't talk through the contractions, however they admitted me after my waters went, which was 12 hours before she was born

Ooh really, my waters went before labour actually started both times & both times I went in to confirm my waters had gone and then went home again. That's why I ended up going in so late the first time, as the mw actually told me not to come in until I felt like 'I wanted to curl up in the corner & die' - haha!

With my first my waters broke 3 days before I had her! And they checked me and said nope your waters haven't broken so that pissed me off instantly because it was my waters after all... Anyway, I went to hospital when I really felt like I couldn't cope with the pain any longer and I got in and I was 4 cms dilated.

They let me stay but really encouraged me to go for a walk so I did that for a couple of hours round the whole hospital.

I had her 5 hours after walking into the hospital! And you guessed it, no waters to be seen! I told them they went days before so I had to stay in 24 hours so they could just check the baby for any signs of infection.

I had such a good labour last time, my midwife told me last week that when it is your second baby, you should call them when contractions are really regular as second babies can arrive a little quicker than the first so you go in when they are super regular and in pain.

So just try and stay at home as long as possible when you go into labour until you literally can't stand it any longer.xxx

It panics me staying at home for a while I just feel like I want to be in the hospital environment to be sure that everything is OK as I really really don't want to give birth anywhere but a hospital!

Thing is they will just send you home if you go in too early xx

I know that's what panics me. Keep hearing all these very short first labour stories :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back