what kind of mattress?

melhoney

Reaction score
hi,

We bought our cot from abroad, and therefore need to have the mattress made to measure.
I have found a website but there are so many different sorts of mattresses, that I am really confused! sprung/foam/coconut fibres/ 5 cm thick, 10cm thick, etc...
According to you, what the best buy?

Thanks
mel xx

Hi Mel

I'm hoping to buy a sprung mattress with a washable cover and I'm going for the 10cm thickness. My sister in law had a foam mattress for their cotbed but found that they needed to replace it as it had dents in it from where the baby laid and as it was cotbed they wanted the mattress to last just as long.

The assistant in John Lewis told me that sprung mattresses are also good in preventing flat head syndrom.

HTH

Lucy
28 + 5

I brought a spring interior matress with a wipe clean surface. It also is meant to be 'breatheable.'
I think the general rule is that foam ones are fine for cots and the most basic. Spring ones are better than foam and are recomended if you have a cotbed because you will probably use it until the baby is about 4 or 5 and the springs will support your childs back where as they would be too heavy for foam.
Then there are all types of allergy resistant ones and ones that are supposed to kill germs and mites etc.
I think it's safest to go for the spring matress because it's middle of the range :)
Hope this helps xxx

ok, thanks a lot for sharing your experiences.
have not made up my mind yet...money, money, money! :roll:

mel xx

I've just gone for good old foam in the crib and cot, I'll turn it once a month to stop dents.
The shops tried to sell me the foam one saying it did this that and the other but my mate is the manager in a Mothercare and she said it's all just selling techniques - whether that's true or not.
But it's what you personally prefer and can afford is what it boils downt o mainly I guess.

If you look on ebay there's a supplier there who sells mattresses that are catalogue returns because of a scuff mark on the corner or something like that. They have to be safety approved and more often than not come from Mothercare.

I got a large cot sized coolmax sprung mattress delivered to my home for £12 (that's the cost of the mattress and the postage). All the was wrong with it was that a small part of the plastic wrapping had come off the corner and left a small black mark (which cleaned off easily). It would have cost £84 from Mothercare.

I can't acutually see the seller on there at the moment or I'd add the link but it's well worth checking every few days.

This is on there though:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MOTHERCARE-COOLMA ... dZViewItem

Thank you everyone.

Louise, I had noticed that "shop" on Ebay, but unfortunately, our cot is not standard size at all, and none of what they had could fit properly in the cots (we have 2 cots: a small one fitting in the big one)
I have found a website online, but wow, prices are too high.
I'll probably go for a foam for the small cot (as baby will only be in there for the first months, and will purchase a stronger mattress for the bigger cot later, when we actually need it (I can start saving a little bit for it! but with Xmas on the way, not sure how far I'll get! :? )

mel xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back