What items would you recommend for labour bag

Ragna

Reaction score
Morning All

As Im now starting to get together my bag for Hospital & getting all the first little bits for when we come home with little Brenty I was wondering if anyone had anything that they would suggest firstly for taking into Hospital with me. Been 11 years since I last went & although I have got all the recommended lists I always think its better asking other mothers cos they have the best ideas !! Also when I get home with baby is there any one thing you bought that you found invaluable ??? And also was there something you bought that you wished you didnt cos it was a waste of time ??

Thank you :0)

Ragna xxx

There's a really good list somewhere around but I can't find it. :?

Things I found useful.
- Camillosan (nipple cream) if breastfeeding.
- Maternity pads. (and some normal panty liners for a few days after.)
- Snacks/Drinks
- Good magazines or a good book.
- Water mister for face
- massage oil for hubby to rub your back.
- front opening nightie for skin-to-skin contact.
- cheap undies to throw away after.

One major point which i KEEP saying on these boards is to get your partner to pack the bag You won't want to rummage through it, and you want want to watch him struggle to find stuff you need!

My hubby couldn't find the nappy immediately after my sons birth and I almost ripped his head off cos I had showed him where I had packed it! Next time HE'LL be packing!

My most valuable item was probably the nipple cream and good breast pads ( I went for Johnson's)

Waste of money...bath thermometer, and any neutral coloured clothing.
I'm bound to think of more so i'll probably come back!

I can't find the other list either but one thing I do remember reading was not to buy disposable maternity knickers as they are supposed to be horrible and to use think maternity pads instead of the ultra thin ones as they leak apparently.

Sarah W Baby Belly said:
and to use think maternity pads instead of the ultra thin ones as they leak apparently.

Yeah the maternity ones are def. needed at first, but get some regular ones for at home after, I found the maternity ones too big and bulky after a day or so, they're not very comfortable!

I think one other major thing that is always missed off 'recomended' stuff for hospital bags is stuff for our poor birthing partners. Just because we wont feel up to eating our dinners when it all kicks off. Just think, our partners may have to be with us, coaching us for a labour that could last 24 hours or more, and lets be honest they arn't going to be of any use to anyone if they pass out from starvation. I know my OH gets the shakes and headaches if he misses meals, so I will be packing some sausage rolls and pasta pots and drinks to help keep him going too!

Working as a doula I am an expert on what you REALLY need in hospital, which isn't as much as you think. A few things I will advise that I have found invaluable over the years is:

A tennis ball for back massage (much cheaper than massage tools)
Pack of blu tak (to plug up overflow on a bath to have deeper bath if labouring in the bath due to birth pool not available)
Pack of straws (you need to drink but aren't always upright enough to drink from a cup properly)
CD of relaxing music (or 'bat out of hell' as one women I was with chose!!)
Lavender oil to dab on a tissue and put in the room somewhere for relaxation.
Bottle of rescue remedy.
Plenty of food and drink for you and your partner.
Flannel (or two) for mopping your brow!!
Glucose tablets.
Lip balm
Facial spray
Scrunchie (if you have long hair)
Warm socks as your feet can get cold in labour
camera!!

As well as all the usual nightware, knickers, maternity towels, towels (dark in colour) clean clothes, breast pads, feeding bra's, etc etc

The list has endless possibilities as you then of course have to pack for the baby.

The truth is that if you plan to go home soon after the birth you don't actually need very much. With my first baby I took in a suitcase full of stuff and used hardly any of it.

Hope the above list has been of some help.

Much love

The thought of packing too much reminds me of the lady who came into hospital for a short stay when I was on hospital bed rest with callum - 2 suitcases overflowing (nothing for baby as she was only about 32wks). Me and the other roommates watched in amazement as she unpacked (all our stuff was still in carrier bags that had been brought in when needed). Hairdryer, curling tongs and other hair stuff, portable cassette recorder, and shoes - loads of shoes!!!! She demanded to see one of the hospital directors when she wasn't allowed to plug any electrical items in until they'd been tested. She only stayed for a couple of days, and made her OH repack everything - poor bloke

Tracy xx

Thank you so much everyone....

Brilliant Suggestions and I will take them on board.

:0)

Ragna xxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back