What is the most likely explanation?

mayday

Reaction score
My baby is nearly 18 weeks old, and for the last couple of days and in particular the nights, she has been very VERY grumpy, and demanding milk a lot more. There are a few reasons I can think of that might explain it, but I'm not sure which one is most likely, and whichever one it is will determine what I do about it.

Firstly, she's 18 weeks - about time to start weaning? I wanted to do the baby-led weaning thing, but I think 18 weeks is a bit early for this. Does she need more than just her breastmilk yet?

Secondly, she could just be having a growth spurt which is making her a bit hungrier than usual.

Thirdly, I took her abroad with me because I had to do some work setting up our ski apartments, and it was quite a stressful few days for her. I'm wondering if it wore her out and she is needing a bit of help and comfort to get back to normal. It was also stressful for me and I was wondering if this could have affected my milk supply and she is feeding more because I'm not giving her enough. She's got plenty in her nappies though!

Should I start her on solids now or is it just a phase? If I can wait just a couple more weeks to give her solids I will have the help and support of my husband and mum.

Try her on a bit of babyrice, she isnt to young to have it now.

when is her bed-time?

melissa used to go to bed with us (at midnite or 1am) and was fine right up until around 3 months when she became terribly grumpy in the evenings. turned out she needed a bed-time routine. so now she has bath, milk, bed at 7pm and is no longer grumpy.

although, we had her sleeping thru at first, at 4 months she started to wake more duting the nite again, and we thought it was coz she needed weaning, so we did it but it didnt make a difference :?

good luck :hug:

Hi mayday,

My daughter is a very similar age to yours and I've been having exactly the same problem. I too am very very keen to go down the BLW route so hoping to get through this without weaning as I'm really keen to wait until at least 5 months + (hopefully nearer 6).

Anyway, she has been pulling at my breast, crying during feeds (as if there's nothing left and I've had to change sides - never had to do that before) and being really chompy during feeds (I hope you know what I mean by that - she grabs onto my boob and really knaws me!). However she is still sleeping well and now wakes up once (was sleeping through from about 6.5 to 16 weeks but I can't have everything) but she just has a breastfeed and goes straight back to sleep.

So, anyway (after that ramble) - I don't know whats wrong either. She may be teething as she's a bit droolier than usual and is biting things rather than sucking them (our fingers etc) but I'm not convinced. I've been at someone's house today and they were CONVINCED she was teething but I'm not sure - she's just the same to me and I'm sure I'll kind of know. She may be going through a growth spurt, but if she is it's lasted for a good 2-3 weeks now, but someone did tell me that 18 weeks is a key time for growth spurts and to hold off weaning if you can (and want to wait til 6 months to do BLW). She may be unsettled as, like you, we've been away from home. Or maybe she was just having an off day. Who knows.

I know this has been no help as I don't really know what to do either, but I just wanted to tell you you're not alone and I'm puzzling through it to. I am going to keep an eye on the situation over the next few days and try and think it through. If I do wean earlier than 6 months, then I am really keen to wait until after all the Christmas fandango anyway so I won't be doing any solid feeding in the next couple of weeks hopefully - I'll try and ride it out.

Let me know how you're getting on and if you get to the bottom of the issue!

Valentine Xxx

Thanks everyone, especially Valentine - good to know I'm not alone! She has had a couple of days now where she has been more settled, so I am hoping the disruption unsettled her - that's an easy thing to sort out, I just need to get her routine re-established. I know what you mean about the chomping! Every now and again I'm happily feeding her and then - WTF!? and I think she may have taken my nipple off. We also had a couple of days when she did a lot of scratching too.

She has a very well established bedtime routine. 7pm - bath, story, feed, bed, with her music and light box playing, and is always asleep by the time the music has finished.

I did nearly get her some baby rice the other day, but then she settled again and I got enough enthusiasm back to wait for baby led weaning. My mum is intrigued, she has never heard of it. She says she is looking forward to the spectacle of my baby trying to feed herself!

Alex is exactly the same. I, too, have no idea why. I'm not tempted to give baby rice though - I'm just gritting my teeth and carrying on with the breastfeeding, despite his grizzly behaviour.

I'd leave it for a week or two to see if it passes as it could just be a growth spurt. If she is still waking then maybe try her with some baby rice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back