What is normal movement?

SpinSugar

Reaction score
I'm not concerned for me but I've seen a few people talk about reduced movement. I'm curious as to what this is.

Does it mean you don't feel baby move for a few days?

I've got a lazy bugger and I honestly think the frequency or force of movement hasn't changed in ten weeks lol. But I will usually feel something at least once a day!

Xx

Different midwives say different things.. they used to say that you should feel at least 10 movements a day. But now its more about recognizing the pattern of your baby.

So if you only feel baby move say 5 times a day and that's normal then that's fine, but if you normally feel baby 20 times a day and it drops to 10 then that's reduced ifykwim x

Reduced movement is what's reduced for you. Some women have quiet babies or have babies who, due to where they attached, just don't kick in the places that women can actually feel.

I would also say that reduced movement is anything that causes you to worry and get yourself to a hospital ASAP. I don't say this from a scaremongering point of view, just someone whose perspective has changed a whole lot in the last four weeks. Someone I know of recently miscarried within a week of her due date but only went into the hospital when she mentioned casually that she hadn't felt the baby move for 24 hours and someone insisted that she went in to get it checked. It wasn't anyone's fault; there were liver abnormalities that led to the baby's death in utero, but she'll probably always have that doubt though about whether the doctors could have done something if she'd reported the reduced movement earlier. As someone who had a few weeks previously dashed off the Maternity Assessment Centre at 9.30 when I realised I hadn't felt anything since waking up at 6.30, I know now it really is better to be safe than devastated.

What happened to that poor woman is extremely rare and there probably wasn't anything that could have been done. But the baby's kicking is a sign of good health and it's pretty much the only thing we have to go on before he/she's out in the world. Just like we'd pay attention to a baby's colour, temperament and temperature out in the world, we need to pay attention to these little signs. Again though, it's what's normal for you and whatever deviates below the norm should sound alarms. If you've got a quiet baby, then it's what's reduced for you.

Reduced movement is what's reduced for you. Some women have quiet babies or have babies who, due to where they attached, just don't kick in the places that women can actually feel.

I would also say that reduced movement is anything that causes you to worry and get yourself to a hospital ASAP. I don't say this from a scaremongering point of view, just someone whose perspective has changed a whole lot in the last four weeks. Someone I know of recently miscarried within a week of her due date but only went into the hospital when she mentioned casually that she hadn't felt the baby move for 24 hours and someone insisted that she went in to get it checked. It wasn't anyone's fault; there were liver abnormalities that led to the baby's death in utero, but she'll probably always have that doubt though about whether the doctors could have done something if she'd reported the reduced movement earlier. As someone who had a few weeks previously dashed off the Maternity Assessment Centre at 9.30 when I realised I hadn't felt anything since waking up at 6.30, I know now it really is better to be safe than devastated.

What happened to that poor woman is extremely rare and there probably wasn't anything that could have been done. But the baby's kicking is a sign of good health and it's pretty much the only thing we have to go on before he/she's out in the world. Just like we'd pay attention to a baby's colour, temperament and temperature out in the world, we need to pay attention to these little signs. Again though, it's what's normal for you and whatever deviates below the norm should sound alarms. If you've got a quiet baby, then it's what's reduced for you.

This is heartbreaking to read :'( did they know baby had liver probs throughout the pregnancy?

I have been in 3times for reduced movements. And would still go back tomoro if I thought they were reduced again. It doesn't bare thinking about.

Xx

Tapatalking. X

Awww thats so sad :( :( :(

Im having my 2nd scan today to check on little Noah, been quieter than normal this week.
No doubt hes all fine and dandy and just like to make his mummy look silly ;) x

Agreed its what is reduced and abnormal for you and your baby so less than you usually feel should always be checked out x

Im having my 2nd scan today to check on little Noah, been quieter than normal this week.

Has he been quiet again? What times ur scan? I'm sure he's fine Hun :) Noah and Hallie both like to scare their mummies! Lol xx

Tapatalking. X

Has he been quiet again? What times ur scan? I'm sure he's fine Hun :) Noah and Hallie both like to scare their mummies! Lol xx

Tapatalking. X

Yeah hes being a lil bugger haha!
Up here now waiting to be called. Hopefully wont be to long but consultants want a word aswell either today or gotta come back!

I think hes all fine tho, checking placenta aswell as its still at front. Just making sure its not in way for foofy delivery! Xx

This is heartbreaking to read :'( did they know baby had liver probs throughout the pregnancy?

I have been in 3times for reduced movements. And would still go back tomoro if I thought they were reduced again. It doesn't bare thinking about.

Xx

Tapatalking. X

No they didn't know anything. It was only found in the autopsy. Nothing that could have been detected unless they were specifically looking for it apparently.

that's really sad but a real warning to us all. Squiggle is very active so when i go a few hours without any movement I worry..so make sure I take some time o lie down, have a cold drink, and she always perks up. She seems to love me lying down, gravity seems to make her kick really low when I'm stood up or sat up at work.
It's all about knowing your own baby, labour triage happily check for you, from what I hear. Not had to go in yet!
I have a friend who went in virtually once a week because her baby wouldn't move for a whole day frequently. he was fine but they didn't mind checking every time. It's all we have to go on really.
xxx

Its always a worry, thankfully so far my bubs has been pretty active but it does make u paranoid. My placenta is at front/top of uterus so apparently its alittle more cushioned in there so kicks etc can be softer. On a similar note, can everyone tell what position their bubs is in? I have no clue, dont know if thats normal either. Would luv to be able to tell, mayb that will come later. Had scan this week, wee blighter is breech, will need to start moving its bum in next few weeks x

mine lies tranverse - across my belly - a LOT. can guess which end is head, sort of feel it, hard to tell though. sometimes goes breech and kicks down low though, which I dislike!!

Thanks ladies that makes a lot of sense!

I don't know how he is lying but I can def feel empty bits of my bump and solid bits. I think he moves from lying across my bump to curled up feet down on my right, bum out, as there's a hard bump just to the right of my belly button and I feel flutters very low down!

Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back