What is Baby Led Weaning? (BLW)

Thanks for those MM-they're really helpful x one quick question though-it says don't limit the different foods you're giving but I know that there are guidelines about giving babies meat cooked under done (like medium rare beef/steak), kiwi fruit and pineapple-do these still apply or are they ok to give? x I'm absolutely fascinated that breastfed babies already control their food intake x

I think that means dont limit them to just fruit or veg but vary it within reasonable sensible guidelines. I dont know about kiwi or pineapple but I wouldnt give under cooked meats to children personally so I'd stick with that. Dont they say no stawberries too as they are a big one for allergies? I've given strawbs from 6 months. i remember avoiding honey early on too as that's 'unpasteurised' iykwim.

Yes, I think its strawberries they say to avoid! I havnt let Jacob touch one as theres a few people in our family with an allergy to them. x

The only ones Id heard of was the kiwi and pineapple x I'll probably just stick to the undercooked meat rule then x tbh I heard nothing about pineapple, kiwi or strawberries when I was weaning summer so I'll just be sensible x thanks x

I think if you've a family history of anything it's best to take sensible precautions. :)

:yay: I'm loving this.. I feel so stupid though :oops: All you girls are doing these great things with your children and I wouldn't have had the sense to take it upon myself to look into all of the different things I could be doing with/for Odhrán.. Thank you for this info.. And am loving this new area on the forum.. I will definitely be sticking around in here xx

Great tip i have heard (and remembered ;) ) is that if you are giving little uns quite squishy stuff (like banana) if you roll it in granola it makes it a bit friction-y for them and gives them something to grip on
works for loads of stuff apparently, anything thats slimey :)

My LO managed ok with banana but I did try it rolled in crushed up breadsticks on the same basis. A friend said she used crushed up cheerios :)

I tend to just give mine what we are eating, whether that is rare steak, curry or (tonight) pepperoni pizza!

In fact, today I got tutted at for giving the baby (vegetable) sushi! Yet somehow spooning sloppy "baby rice" into an unwilling baby is fine? How odd.

Jack has flurished with BLW his cousin is the same age and won't eat half of what jack does

Girls are any of your trying this or have done BLW?

I think Ethan is ready to start picking food up and eating it himself, he does very well when i give him rusks (as he is teething) and always puts it to his mouth and chews/sucks!

Have you got any tips on what to start giving him first? And ideas for breakfast, lunch and dinner? xx

Girls are any of your trying this or have done BLW?

I think Ethan is ready to start picking food up and eating it himself, he does very well when i give him rusks (as he is teething) and always puts it to his mouth and chews/sucks!

Have you got any tips on what to start giving him first? And ideas for breakfast, lunch and dinner? xx

anything you are eating, plus fruits and veggies that are soft when cooked or soft enough anyway (banana, pear, cooked carrot, brussell sprouts are great)

use your imagination! if you wait til six months they can eat practically anything, though formula fed babies will be more unsure of trying different flavours than breastfed babies so bear this in mind when you have a ff baby x

Thanks hun. Yes he is on formula but has been willing to try new flavours so far in the form of purees and then recently mashed up so fingers crossed he is with finger foods. xx

I did this with Lacey from 6 months! I used to give her toast for breakfast then things like butter sandwiches, carrots, bread sticks then spagetti bolenese, pasta for tea! She took to it really easy and she was formula fed. She's only ever choked once and she was 3 by then on a hot sausage so don't worry to much about them choking just keep an eye on him!

Oh and I used to give her all fruit, she didn't and still doesn't like melon though! She's not a fussy eater and I think it's cos I did BLW!!

I also did this with DD and she's the least fussy eater I know and always willing to try new things even now x she was ff and had absolutely no problems trying new flavours x I actually can't wait to do this again with Seb! I'm really looking forward to it!

Oh and if they appear to dislike something keep offering them it alongside other things as it can take babies and children lots of tries of something to like it and our taste buds change as we get older as well (I used to hate pears with a passion but love them now!) x

thanks so far girls, today i tried him with a piece of toast! He sucked it for a while but did get bored :lol: and kept dropping it. I imagen this is how it's going to be for a while?? I was wondering when you both started BLW had you previously given purees etc? I have from 4 months so am unsure - do i stop giving him mashed food or offer finger food along side it? I don't want him to all of a sudden not be eating enough iykwim? Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back