What I didn't know would happen!

pinkyprincess

Reaction score
Just thought I'd share a couple of post birth things I wasn't expecting but are totally normal! I'm sure other people who've done this before will be able to share some others.

Thought this may prepare some of you!

* the size of my jelly belly! No one prepared me for how big and how wobbly it goes!! I kept touching it expecting to have my bump but NOOO it feels so different and VERY strange! It does go down, Tyler is 2 weeks old and it's gone down a lot and not so jelly like! My waist has started appearing too!
* post c section ankles! Omg my ankles swelled up HUGE!! Me and my OH were quite concerned at one point but again very normal!
* uterus pains! Sometimes (mainly when I feed not sure if it's related) I get pains and twinges in my uterus. My mum had them too so normal :)
* baby's dry skin! Tyler was 2 weeks late and was COVERED in dry skin. Rubbing olive oil on him cleared it up!
* bleeding cord stump! As long as it's only a tiny bit and not weeping this is ok according to my HV totally freaked me out when I saw it but luckily my HV was in my house as I noticed it. Best to get it checked by the midwife on their next visit tho to be sure.
* sniffles! When I was in the hospital he was really snuffley and seemed to almost struggle to breath. This us the excess mucus apparently! I got the midwife to check him and he was fine but coughed up some yellow flem!

Hope this helps you :) wish I'd known some of this before I brought him home!

thats funny my nephew is a week old and he is suffering from the mucus thing. The midwife told them to rub his back over your shoulder or lay him on your knees to get it up. Thanks for the c-section ankle warning never had that with my first but bet I do this time!!!!

Always nice for some feedback and warnings. lol. xxxx

My nephew had really bad mucus too, it's not very pleasant lol. My friend said she was horrified by the bleeding afterwards cos no-one had prepared her for it to be that much xxxxxx

By the way pinky your avatar is beautiful xxxxxx

Awww thanks pinky! It's really helpful as I didn't know any of that! And I second the comment about your avatar, it's gorgeous x

Thanks all things i didnt know yet

Although im allready very worried about my clumsyness making me drop her so think il avoide making her all slippy with olive oil hehe

Thanks for all those tips Pinky its good to know that these things are normal. Any induction tips of making it easier or what you were and werent expecting?? Sorry know youre busy with you LO (who is gorgeous btw) but im curious as thats the route Im going down! XX

Thanks for all those tips Pinky its good to know that these things are normal. Any induction tips of making it easier or what you were and werent expecting?? Sorry know youre busy with you LO (who is gorgeous btw) but im curious as thats the route Im going down! XX

Take the epidural!!! Lol! And the other drugs!

Tbh I had a rough time of it and my body just said 'no he's not coming out!!!' I only got to 5cms!

Induction can be long ( they said 3 days to us) so you want to be as comfortable for as long as possible. Also take a portable DVD player or laptop or something as it's a long process and boring! I took a book and couldn't concentrate on it but could on tv!

Thanks ladies he is beautiful :) ooh another one

* your little one - nothing can prepare you for just how much you will love your baby!!!

Thanks for the tips pinky. My friends bay was mucus' for about 3weeks, :) x

I think they say that baby is only dry if you go over, because it get's dry in there because of water/baby ratio?

i found the after pains horrible, like contractions as your uterus shrinks, gets worse when you hold baby near you aswell/ when BF'ing

the amount of bleeding scared me! it went after 2 weeks though.

difficulting going for #1 and #2, for number one i used to stand in the shower to help me wee, also used to shower after each wee to help clean down there, as it can get quite smelly. number 2's were really smelly and horrible because of the medicane they give you to go home with (or just me) i did notice when the tablets ran out though, my poop's hurt!! :(

the effort and pain you get when shuffling off the bed / sitting up in the middle of the night to get your baby, i didn't expect it to hurt that much.

Took ages for me to walk up stairs, and when you get up and do stuff it makes the bleeding worse.

the desire to keep EVERYTHING clean, even when the MW comes round and tells you to take it easy, you get up the moment after she goes and tidy while baby's sleeping ....

I'll try think of more :) xx

this is a great post thanks ladies, its all the things that arent in the books!

xxx

I don't know if it's just because I had a c section but the feeling of your bladder moving back down once you've had a wee! Such a strange and weird feeling at first.

I also turned the tap on in the bathroom and stared at it when going for my first wee and it really helped me :)

With c section as well, the feeling of never being able to walk again soon goes as well and it only took me 3 days to be back on my feet but I would definitely say do what the doctors tell you and take it easy as I didn't one day this week and suffered from it all night!

Thank you so much for this post! Love your pic too! Xx

I had the swollen feet and ankles for a week after O.
also the jelly belly is just weird!

Also for those who have vaginal birth if u have stitches peeing and poopin is scary but not as bad as u work ur self up for!
I would suggest asking for lactulose so ur poop is soft for the first few poops less scary.

So true about the belly. It actually made me feel queasy at first feeling it. Very wobbly and looks very odd lol! But i dont care cos one look at my boy and i know its worth it!xx

Last edited:
Great thread .. thanks ladies lots of things I'd never of known :)

i remember looking at my jelly belly in the mirror after having my first nd was in total shock and disgust...but it went down rapidly thank god ha!!prepared for it this time :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back