what help can my sister get being so young?

kimmy318

Reaction score
hey....i have signed up here to get some advice for my sister as we are going around in circles!

she is due to have a baby in 4 weeks and is 18. purely an accident and no longer with the dad who is an absolute ass.

she is at college doing 18 hours a week and wants to remain at college, and on maternity from a 4hour a week contracted job, although she does do more than 4 hours.

she does not want to bring a baby up on the dole and says she didnt get pregnant to be a bum and get a flat etc like alot of her friends have, and wants to bring it up correctly.

anyway she has received a letter to say she cannot get smp, so i rang benefit people they say she can get maternity allwance instead, and income support. she is not entitled to the sure start thing as she doesnt claim benefits, so just wondered if anyone knows of any advice or any help she can get?

thanks kim

She'll be able to get child benefit of £20 a week. I'm not sure what else. Hope someone can help x.

Once she's on income support she should be able to claim for the sure start grant up to 3 months after baby us born. Have you tried citizens advice?
X

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Shel b able to get maternity allowance if she's paid natinal insurance for 26 weeks in the 66 weeks til due date. If not she should b entitled to ESA (employment and support allowance) which she'l b able to get for 13 weeks. If she claims income support then she won't receive any of these.
She will get the maternity grant after baby's born cos she'l b on benefits. She should also claim child tax credit to be paid along wiv her income support x

hey thanks for all your help. i have managed to get hold of a number for her to ring as they are saying she is not entitled to anything as she wants to stay at college!

if shes entitled to maternity allowence she will get a average of her wage so shouldnt matter that her contract is only 4 hours :)
Dont worry That dad to my babys a ass.
Am in same position best advice i can give is contact ur council for an appointment with a benifits advisor they are great help. did she get her Health in pregnancy grant?

best thing to do is go to the job center explain the situtaion to them and they should be able to help her

she might get working tax creditx

I'd also contact the local council, the benefits advisers are great and will help apply and find out what your sister is entitled to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back