What happens when you have a D&C?

PeanutButter

Reaction score
So I'm thinking I might need one because I've had no bleeding at all. HCG levels are still high. With my others they've always passes on thier own.
Going to the EPU next week, worried they'll tell me I need one. Xx

I had an erpc when I had my 8 week loss.

I had a tablet put in my vagina by a nurse to help open my cervix. Then I was put under GA for the procedure. I had a bit of pain when I came round, but had iv pain relief immediately which helped very quickly. I felt quite unwell after the anaesthetic and kept hot flushing and was sick when I got home. I had to pass urine before I was allowed home. I had minimal bleeding and my cycle returned to normal very quickly as your hormones drop off much more quickly as they take away baby and some of the lining too.

I'm not sure if your procedure will be the same. But I found that I recovered within 24 hours physically and it was certainly the best option for me.

I'm so sorry that you are going through this hun, it's so sad :-(

XX

Peanut, I am gutted for you, life is so bloody hard sometimes, I have had two Missed Miscarriages & two D&C's, with the 2nd MMC I was expecting twins we had seen heartbeats at 8 weeks but at our 10weeks scan both babies at no heartbeat. My consultant recommended having a D&C so they could run tests to try and determine why we had the MMC (I also had a D&C after my first MMC at 11 weeks.)
Prior to my D&c's I had never been to hospital so I was quite nervous about the General Anaesthetic, however I found the procedure itself straight forward, the emotional side of losing the Pregnancies was the tough part.
Went to hospital early & fasting, they placed a very small tablet in to soften cervix, then I was brought to theatre and given the GA, I felt no pain at all, took about 20minutes then I woke up & returned to ward, then waited at hour in bed waiting for tea & toast, then they checked no etc and I was checked out in the late afternoon, I had very light spotting , but no cramps.
For me it brought closure in a controlled environment. Sending you lots of strength & hugs xxxLouise

I really am so sorry that you are going through this. I have had 4 losses and 2 erpcs. I have to say that I found the erpcs took away the anxiety of waiting for it to happen and for what I might see, plus recovery after was quicker as like Emily says the hormones drop quicker. Again, I am so sorry xx

Your awake for it?!!?!?! No and no. If they need to do they're putting me to sleep. Fk that. Ikno you said theres no pain, but I have lots of issues with things going into my vajayjay. Ugh. D:

No hun, it's done under GA.

The only thing I was awake for was the tablet being put in to soften and open cervix.

XX

Having a GA means you are asleep. The only bit you are awake for is the initial tablet, don't panic.

If you have stopped the progesterone your body may well mc by itself before next week depending on how fast your hormone levels drop.

I've had 3 natural miscarriages and 1d&c. Would go for the d&c again if I had to rather than wait for it to pass naturally. I had minimal pain and cramping for about 12 hours after, hardly any bleeding. With the natural miscarriages I felt it was much more horrific and lasted up to 10 days. They look after u really well in hospital Hun. It's only a quick 20 min procedure but you'll be in most of the day . Xx

Oh, Lol. That's OK then xD
Ivery stopped the progesterone now anyway. Had sexy time this morning, not sex bit I usually cramping afterwards if anything is happening even my period makes me cramp and I had nothing at all. :/ Just a waiting game x

Ive just realised, my last appointment at the gyne, they said i need to a d&c if possible so they have more of a chance of testing the baby to see what was wrong.

I dont know how to go about this?? xx

Is there a contact phone number on your appointment letter from that appointment? If so call that, if not either call the EPU or your GP if they are helpful and they can get you the number and you can tell them what you were told.

If you start to mc naturally before if you catch as much as you can in a plastic container you can take that in for testing too.

Call the epu and they should arrange it for you xx

Think it might be too late by the time they arrange it. Started spotting and cramping, im peeing the the bath (gross iknow) but they said i cant let anything go into the toilet water. Had some fleshy bloody come out just. Stopped again now. Hopefully they can get me in for Tuesday, might still be in there. xx

I had a D&C 6 weeks ago after miscarrying at 11 weeks (second miscarriage....no baby yet!!). I have to say it was nowhere near as bad as I expected. I opted for general anaesthetic...I was told if I'd had a baby before probably best to do it under local anaesthetic but if you haven't given birth before your cervix is quite hard so doing it even under local can be uncomfortable!! TBH after all id been through I just wanted them to knock me out. I woke up, had quite a bit of bleeding for 2 days but hardly any cramps. Felt totally normal (physically!) after 3 days. Had my first period 5 weeks after. I didn't have to take any painkillers or anything after and it was quite a relief to have the whole ordeal out the way without wondering when I would miscarry naturally. Good luck xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back