What happens when you first see a Doc about fertility?

Loola

Reaction score
This question is pretty similar to Denice's - If I dont get pregnant this month then I want me and my OH to go to the Docs to discuss our fertility. What happens then? Will he/she take a semen sample there and then? What tests would they do on me? I just want to know what happens so I can prepare my OH! and myself. Thanks.

I think it depends on the doctor. If as your profile says you've only been trying since May this year they may say to try a bit longer and then come back. Most doctors like you to have tried for a minimum of year before they'll investigate unless you have specific problems.

Goodluck

Thanks!! I was thinking of perhaps telling the doc a little white lie and saying we have been trying for longer. I know its naughty but I just really need to know that we are both ok. I really feel that something is wrong, it sounds awful but not so much with me but with my OH, I fear that he may have a low sperm count as he is overweight and enjoys a drink. The sooner we find out, the sooner I can get him to do something about his drinking and hopefully it will be enough to spur him on to lose some weight. Me nagging him constantly doesnt seem to work!

Its not all about me wanting a baby so much, its because I worry about him so much, I think he would take it more seriously coming from a Doctor.

depends on your age aswell as to how long they think you should try ..it depends on doc but they may do blood tests for you and sperm sample for hubby but you would get a form to go to local hosp for that.

I went through the whole feritlity screening believing i couldn't concieve naturally it took me 4 years then i did after IUI treatment failed so don't give up hope

cloud9 said:
depends on your age aswell as to how long they think you should try ..it depends on doc but they may do blood tests for you and sperm sample for hubby but you would get a form to go to local hosp for that.

I went through the whole feritlity screening believing i couldn't concieve naturally it took me 4 years then i did after IUI treatment failed so don't give up hope

Thank you so much. We are both 28, Ill soon be 29. I have been pregnant before, which happened pretty easily, but this was with a previous partner, hence why I worry that my OH may have a problem. Though I do realise that 4 years have passed since then and it will get harder the older I get. I just want to know what his sperm count is really. I suppose I could always get a home test, but Id still rather my OH see a Doc so that they could tell him he has to improve his diet and drinking habits before we have a baby. For all our sakes.

Hi loola!

I went to see my GP about 2 months ago on my own. I explained that we had been trying for a baby for 7/8 months but because of our ages (i'm 33 and OH is 37) we were worried that time would be an issue. He said that even a year trying isn't a long time but because of my concerns he did a load of blood tests on me and gave me a quick internal and sent my OH down to Singleton for a sperm count test. So far all has come back ok so now we have been referred to the fertility clinic in Singleton for further investigations.
A few white lies won't harm the situation so go for it and good luck
:hug:

Sorry, I'm gonna be controversial and but in here, I think if you have no reason to suspect you have a fertility problems (i.e from medical history) and are still young then it is unfair to lie and say you have been trying longer than you have just because you don't want to have to wait.

If you want investigations sooner then by all means pay and have them done privately, there are plenty of private clinics, but i think it is unfair on the people who have waited over a year to be competing for the doctors time with people who haven't waited, and possibly wasting NHS money on unneeded tests.

Sorry.

Goodluck

I'm sorry hun, I agree with chellieboo. My brother and his OH have been through the mill and back. She is 37 and they have been trying for 3.5 years. They have had to wait an age for tests/cyst removal/IUI as the waiting list was so long.
(They had their first IVF meeting yesterday, so its all fingers crossed :D)

Honestly hun 8 months is not long at all, give it some more time :hug: It took me (from stopping the pill to my BFP) 28 months to fall with Dan and as heartbreaking as it was there wasn't anything wrong with me or OH. It just took a while.

Its all ok, we wont be going to the Docs for a while yet. My OH has been on anti-depressants which may have caused temporary low sperm count, so that with his heavy drinking and over eating have more than likely made getting pregnant impossible, so we are going to leave TTC for a few months until he is healthier and off the pills.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back