What happens at first appt?

SarahH

Reaction score
This might be a stupid question but I'm a first time Mum and SOOOOO nervous!

What all happens at the first appt with your midwife. I have mine a week tomorrow and am getting more and more nervous!

I know I'm probably being silly but thats just me!!

We've been trying for a baby for SO long and now I am pg - it's like OMG what have I done! Can you tell I'm a first time mum!!!

S. xx

hya sarah i think it differs on the area you live in at my appointment with midwife at 8 weeks we just filled in all the pregnancy notes family history etc advice on what you can and cant eat she might weigh you take your blood pressure and maybe test your urine she will explain all the blood tests and scans that you will have during pregnancy and what they are looking for with each one she might also take your bloods although mine were done at the hospital when i had first scan if they do them it will be to test
iron levels, see what blood group you are, they also ask if you are willing to have blood tested for syphilys and hiv although those tests are not compulsory it is advised that you have them
all in all the first appointment is quite boring and just lots of questions and really nothing to worry about i promise you :D
good luck hope all goes well xxxxxx

Mine was much the same as Rach's.

We filled out my pregnancy notes (all about you, any illnesses in your family etc)
I was weighed and I had bloods taken for iron levels, blood group, STD's and HIV.
They also take your blood pressure and test your urine sample (take one with you).
They do not do an internal unless you have had previous complications i.e miscarriage, abortion, complicated previous delivery etc.
They also give you loads of booklets and leaflets to read when you get home and they may give you info on AnteNatal classes etc.
It lasts about 40mins to an hour and it's the only time that you really get the chance to have a good old chat with your midwife about any concerns or worries you have. Also well worth taking your partner along for support and he'll probably remember all the info that you forget :D

At my first appt the midwife came round to me. I didn't have any bloodstaken but she asked me and OH lots and lots of questions about family history and any medical conditions etc. I also was asked to choose where I wanted to give birth, which at that stage seemed so far away. She then gave me my green notes and lots of info. Mine was at 10 weeks, and it was just great to meet someone at last x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back