What happens at a gestational diabetes test?

AnnaMS

Reaction score
I've been booked in on Monday for a Gestational diabetes test.

I've never had one before, so what does it involve?

I had a scan yesterday to check on Emilia's size and she is 2lb 8oz and on the 49th centile, so she is doing fine. I'm carrying extra fluid at the moment which is why I feel so huge. My husband jokes and says I look at least 36 weeks along!!.

Do you mean the glucose tolerance test to check for gestational diabetes?

If so, it involves fasting overnight and not having any breakfast. You attend the hospital, they do a blood test, then you're given a sugary drink to drink. Then you have to wait in the hospital a couple of hours, then they'll take another blood test.

It's all completely painless, although I hated not being able to eat anything. Once the sugary drink kicks in, though, it's not too bad!

Do I have to stay at the hospital for the 2 hours, as I only live about 30 minutes away?.

I've just had mine this morning, I was dreading it but it isn't as bad as I thought. Someone told me you had to drink 1l of lucosade but I didn't! I was told it was a resting test so wasn't allowed to walk about (except to go to the toilet) so I don't think you'll be allowed to go home, but if you ask them they might let you if you aren't walking there and back. I took my kindle and it went faster than I thought x

I guess I'll just take a good book to read or ipod to listen too.

And after food shopping this afternoon, I'm not going to attempt to walk back home, as I'm knackered! So glad I had the trolley to hold on to balance, as really starting to waddle now!

Last edited:
I had mine a couple of weeks ago. Had to stay in hosp for the two hours in waiting room. Even said on letter exercise was forbidden ie walking round lol x

mummy to ds 11/7/11
pregnant *team pink* due 12/9/13

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back