What does BPD stand for on scan notes??

Heatherb

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Had my scan today, and just looking through the notes, I have a measurement for FL, which I know is femur length, and one for BPD - 26mm, but don't know what it means? Think it's something diameter, but not sure?

Haven't got a measurement for crown to rump length, which is a bit disappointing.

Thanks

Heather x

Hi Heather,

I wasn't sure myself but found this on the internet:

What are "AC", "BPD", "FL" and "HC" in ultrasound measurements?

Abdominal Circumference (AC) measures the mother's belly in cross section. Especially later in pregnancy, it is used as an indicator of fetal weight and growth. Sometimes, serial measurements are taken to ensure an accurate reading.

BPD stands for Biparietal Diameter and is an ultrasound measurement taken of the baby's head (from side to side). Along with the Femur Length (FL) and Abdominal Circumference (AC), it is used to estimate the fetal weight.

Femur Length (FL) often is measured along with AC and BLD measurements. The femur is the longest bone in the body and measurement of this bone is taken to estimate fetal growth.

AC, BPD and FL are combined in a formula to estimate fetal weight. While most ultrasound machines contain calculators, here is the formula used to figure the fetal weight: 1.4 X BPD X FL X AC (all in centimeters) - 200 = Fetal weight. (This is an estimate and becomes less accurate as baby gets farther from about 5.5 lbs.)

HC indicates Head Circumference. Babies of the same weight can have different head sizes.

Hope this helps.
Sally

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back