what do they test for in urine at midwife appts?

LucyB.

Reaction score
I had a midwife appt tuesday and she tested my urine and said it was all clear, but I've been feeling like I've been coming down with a water infection for a few days now. Wouldn't she of checked for that in my urine on tuesday??xxx

Might have been too early on Tuesday if you're just feeling it now, maybe get an appointment at your GP? xx

Hi Lucy

I had a similar thing at my 16 week appt. The week before the hospital tested my urine and said that it showed signs of an infection then a week later my midwife checked for nitrates (sign of infection) and said there wasn't anything.
I knew there was something a miss as I was weeing more, it did sting a little bit and there was a smell (sorry tmi) so I went to the docs and he took another sample on the Thursday then rang me on the Monday to say there was an infection and he had left some antibiotics at the reception for me.
3 days worth of antibiotics and I felt much better so I would say just head to the docs if you want a clear answer.
x

Yes, they just use the standard dip stick test strip thingies that a doctor would use if you went to gp to see about an infection.

It tests for proteins, blood, ketones, glucose etc etc

You can even buy them on the internet I believe they are so standard.

If you had an infection at the time it should've shown up

xxxx

My gp surgery has told me there's no appts til next monday :( but I did not tell them I was pregnant or what was wrong, only that I wanted an appt, do u think I should mention it to them?

Defo tell them you are pregnant, but also tell them that you think you have an infection and it can't wait a week WTF are they on? Really can't stand GP surgeries.

Don't take no for an answer and if they really won't see you tell them you'll go to a&e (who will check to see if you have an infection) and make a complaint about their surgery as well.

Surgeries closed til 2 but I'll ring them back and tell them I'm pregnant and see if they give me an appointment! The receptionists at gp's do my head in though, so unsympathetic!!! I've been sent home from work today as I was really uncomfortable, having belly ache and nipping to the loo allll the time! I'm just worried about the baby, If I wasn't pregnant I wouldn't keep ringing the doctors for appts worried but I just don't want it to harm the baby. Just found hb on doppler which has put my mind at rest. Bt still really uncomfortable needing to urinate all the time and can't always :( xxxx

becky bean, i find that i need the loo all the time, but i cant actually go!! did u have that? could it be possible baby is just lay on my bladder?? when i find heartbeat on doppler its really low xxx

Drink lots of water hun to start to flush it out, my doc reccomended a pint an hour of water, then get yourself some cranberry jucie have a glass before bed and in morn. UTI's are horrible i feel for you xxx hope you feel better soon

thank you. i feel terrible, i'll get some cranberry juice though, anything is worth a try til i get appt from docs xxx

Hi Lucy
That was exactly it, totally desperate for the loo and when I got there there would be a tiny trickle which occasionally stung. I called the surgery and asked if they had any appts that day and they asked if it was an emergency and I explained that it wasn't but I was pregnant and really worried about it and they gave me an appt, it really shouldn't be so difficult to get appts!
Be as pushy with them as you need to be honey to get your appt.
Xx

when i FINALLY got through to a half decent receptionist she asked me to take a sample down and she would get the nurse to test it before she went home and let me know, she said it could be tomorrow. so i was all set for ringing again tomorrow and going through the same annoying phone calls with the unhelpful receptionists. but about 6pm i got a call from the surgery saying my sample showed i had a uti and there was a prescription waiting for me :D just picked it up now and have a weeks worth of antibiotics!!!! THANK GOD!! thanks so much for ur advice <3 xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back