What do braxton hicks feel like?

Rachel80

Reaction score
I'm 24 weeks & not sure if I've had any yet? x

It varies really. You might not even feel them at that stage, depends how in tune with your body you are, I think. Can be anything from feeling like all your tummy muscles have gone tight and being mildly uncomfortable for a moment, to full blown painful major tightenings that last a little while. They get worse the further along you usually, but you might be lucky and get non at all.
My first ones were like mini period type cramps that lasted a few seconds, but stopped as soon as I moved or stopped what I was doing!

Ah thanks, I guess I'll know if/when I get them? I've had no other symptoms really so I may not get these either x

Your muscles in your tummy go really tight, and it goes rock hard. Shouldn't hurt but can feel quite uncomfortable. I get them constantly and have been having them a while so you could feel them at your stage but some women don't feel them at all x

Mine have been along the lines of period pains - more like the ones when you're about to come on x

I get the tightening & tummy going hard but thought that was lo turning over?x

At your stage baby should still have enough space to turn without it having that much of an effect on you, so it could well be BH. I've had virtually no classic pregnancy symptoms all the way through so far, but BH have been a right bugger from quite early on!! Get loads now though as body is gearing up for the big day, it's unbearable at times then a minor tweak at other times. Don't mind while they keep going off really, but would like to just get on with the real thing now cos it's driving me nuts not knowing whether each tightening is gona lead to actual labour!!

I get the tightening & tummy going hard but thought that was lo turning over?x

That's kind of how mine felt. They also took my breath away. They got stronger closer to the due date.

It varies really. You might not even feel them at that stage, depends how in tune with your body you are, I think. Can be anything from feeling like all your tummy muscles have gone tight and being mildly uncomfortable for a moment, to full blown painful major tightenings that last a little while. They get worse the further along you usually, but you might be lucky and get non at all.
My first ones were like mini period type cramps that lasted a few seconds, but stopped as soon as I moved or stopped what I was doing!

Spot on. Everyone's different - some people don't notice them at all in pregnancy, other like me are unlucky enough to have rather painful ones from pretty early (14weeks this time!)

Mine usually mean that my entire bump goes hard, and rather painful all round. But I've. Had a couple of sessions this time that were distinctly more 'contraction like' - and if I wasn't so used to painful BH I'd have sworn I was Iabour!!

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

Some of mine have been intense enough to leave me completely breathless, but not always painful. At 34+3 I had a session that started tuesday after lunch and carried on until friday evening, I went in to mat unit on the thursday cos girly's movements stopped and they hooked me up to the usual trace & did an internal because I had all the symptoms of labour! They eventually decided I have an irritable muscle in my stomach because it was twitching the entire time, the problemis that it must be near or conected to my back somewhere, so each twitch pulls in my back!! Now I'm used to it, I'm really hoping there is a HUGE difference between BH and the real things or my waters go first cos I'm not sure I'll notice the build up conractions after all this!! Lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back