What did you do with your children when you went into labour?

flexilexi394

Reaction score
Hey guys!

So I am sort of trying to think about what to do with Sofia if I go into labour when she's with me - she spends a few days a week with her dad so of course if I go into labour when she's with him, that would be good, but what happens if she's actually with me and I go into labour?

We have lots of local family which is great, I guess I am just after stories of what you guys did to be honest, I really don't want to panic her or make her feel like I am dumping her, so any bright ideas or stories would be great!

I gave birth to her during the day last time which is why I am worrying slightly, I went into labour at like 11am and had her at 5 pm the same day so I guess I am just thinking this could happen again

We had a home birth so it was less of an issue. Also my 1st labour was 38hrs so I wasnt worried about things progressing too quickly. My parents came and picked DD up for a few hrs during the day then they brought her back for her afternoon nap and she ended up staying for the birth itself. She is quite sensitive and I was worried she might be a bit stressed out by my labouring but she was fine with it. I think staying super calm helped a lot and she had fun helping me with breathing. I'd say with your LO just try and stay calm and take time to talk to her about where she is going and that you are having a baby and she is going to come and visit you after etc. I think they can understand more than we give them credit for sometimes. It seems like if she is used to staying with her dad that might be a good option?

This time we plan a home birth again but I'm feeling like two of them will be too much to have around so they will probably go and stay with my parents. My 2nd labour was 23hrs though so even if this one is way shorter there is unlikely to be a big rush.

Last edited:
Thanks Bunny - Yeah home birth would have been lovely for me but my OH is really not up for it! He really wants us to go to the hospital and to be fair I would probably end up begging to go into hospital anyway and we don't have room for a birthing pool at my flat so I thought a birthing unit delivery would suit us best - yeah I guess if I actually go into labour when she is with me, I just have to try and explain that this is the start etc and keep calm, I am just worried about it being quick and painful like it was the first time!

She would happily stay with my mum too, and she loves my SIL and her kids and they have offered to help out so I am lucky that I have a few options I guess I just worry she might feel a bit abandoned!

Thank you though, how lovely that your first was there for the birth of your second I think that is really special! xxx

I'm having a home birth this time (or at least that's the plan).

I'm also thinking my body may know to start things when they are with their dad at the weekend as they've both said they'd rather not be here when I have the baby(!). They go to his on a Saturday afternoon and come back Sunday night so it would be the perfect time (and anecdotally you're said to go into labour when you feel most relaxed and 'safe' so if the child(ren) are being taken care of elsewhere it's more likely to happen then, or that's the theory anyway haha).

If they are with me they've both said they want to go to my mum's, but she's not exactly reliable, she's always busy or out and I can't see her keeping her diary free and staying local for the next 3 weeks so she's on call to take them. So I highly doubt she'll be available anyway .
I'm just seeing how things go. They're old enough to occupy themselves and stay in their room or the living room etc and they have their phone (eldest) and tablet (youngest) and the computer, so the only time I'd really need someone to take them would be if I had to transfer in to hospital in which case I'd phone my mum first and then try the kids' dad or his parents (if he was at work).

When I had my second baby it was a scheduled induction so I'd already made plans for my mum to have my toddler.

Ah thank you Phoenix - Yeah this is all assuming I just go into labour naturally etc, but yeah with any luck baby will hold out until S is with her dad or somewhere else, I am just worried about being in a tonne of pain and it frightening her or something, but I hope that won't be the case and i will just go into labour on a saturday or something lol that would be the most convenient day! If only we could choose these things eh x

My inlaws had my son, I tried to stay at home as long as possible, I went into labour around 4am and by 9am although I was coping fine I needed to have some quiet so he went to my in laws then, the plan was the abit loose as I didn't know how long it would take but they were going to bring him back to our house and stay if need be. Luckily I gave birth at 4.20pm (was in hospital from 12) so my husband nipped home for abit as I was offered an early discharge, put him to bed and then came back to hospital to pick me and our daughter up while my parents were at our house.

So the following morning when he woke up he got to meet his new baby sister

Pumpkin that sounds so perfect - that is literally the ideal situation for us too, I hope that I can have an early discharge xx

I live literally 5m drive from my mum who will be dropping us at the hospital.

When I go into labour she will come get him and my dad and her will have him - we will go to the hospital then once we are home and settled Jackson is coming back.

MIL lives 5m drive too, her and FIL have a car each so even if my mum couldnt drop him they could keep him until my mum comes back from the hospital.

Thats the plan, its like guesswork :lol:

xxxxx

Last edited:
Yeah it is total guess work isn't it - I also am lucky that we all live within a 2 minute drive of each other round here but our hospital is 20 minutes away on a fast run so Adam will just drive me to the hospital but anyone can come pick Sofia up which is handy - and if she is already at her dad's when I go into labour that will literally be perfect! Lol!

I hope she is at her dads when I do go into labour to be honest I hate feeling like I have to leave her - I want her to be the first one to meet the baby too! xx

Yeah Ive already told my mum when she brings Jackson back, it will only be Jackson. :lol:

Shes probably thinking Ill change my mind, but no for the reasons Ive went into I decided Id just keep it a family thing (Me, OH and J) until we are ready to invite others in.

Maybe George will know that S is away and he will kick off.

xxxx

Last edited:
I hope so, we shall see!

Yeah I have told my ex MIL today that if I have George when she's over there they have to bring her back when I come home so she can be the one to meet him first.

Adam's got 2 sisters and a brother, and one sister is really really eager - her brother's wife had a baby not too long ago and she was all over it, but I really don't want anyone like that meeting the baby until Sofia has to be honest, I don't think it would be nice for her to feel like she was one of the last to meet him, I already feel bad that people buy the baby so much stuff and nothing for her (of course this is completely normal - I just feel bad because she's such a good girl) and then once the baby is born she can open all the presents for the baby for me bless her xx

Oh I bet she will help with that. When Jackson was born SIL brought my nice to the house because I didn't want children running about the Ward so she brought gifts which Beth opened I was raging lol I had been enjoying opening. Some people might bring Sofia a toy too I've did that on occasion although my friend had twins and so far I got her a present and then babies for her shower then I put into her collection at work and I'll get them something personally made so her other girls have missed out from me sadly lol. Ill need to be cautious letting Jackson open things he's at the stage everything is his :rofl:

I think as long as your vocal it'll be fine. Nothing worse than suffering in silence.

xxxxx

:rofl: yeah toddler age just think everything are theirs unfortunately! Hahaha! Yeah I am planning on getting Sofia a few little toys and I already got her a really cool bedspread all from the baby :D I think I will get her some Rollerskates too from the baby, she has wanted some for a while now! xx

I'm at a stage where I can't imagine anyone else but myself taking care of DS while his sister is born. Evidently that won't be possible... the thing is he's a lovely boy who takes everything fine, but only when explained right. He will feel something is happening and if people use the wrong words to explain he will panick. I really want my mother to take him, she's fantastic with him, but of course she lives furthest away (50mins without traffic). As I woke up and 10mins later we needed to leave for hospital last time, I don't think she could get here in time. :-( but we'll see. Let's hope our babies all come at the best timing, when big brother or sister is already with family :)

My mum took my two year old for the day and night. we started telling her what was going to happen several weeks before due date so she wasn't surprised by being sent off. She had started asking every morning if Grannie was coming to get her today so was really excited when we woke her on the day and told her the baby was coming. As we had to drive to hospital with our toddler we told her mummy would be puffing like Thomas the tank engine in the car so she wouldn't get upset by my contractions. We were fortunate that I went into labour overnight though so she slept through the first few hours. I'm not sure how well I would've coped had it kicked off while I was home alone with her. My mum is quite a long way from us though. If you have family local then that should take some of the stress off.

She was really mature about it all so I would imagine a five year old (if I've read your signature correctly) should be fine about it if well prepared.

Thanks Maud - I am a little worried my contractions will upset her if I go into labour at home, so that is reassuring to know I just need to explain everything to her. She will be on summer holidays so she's either going to be with me or her dad at the weekends, so we shall see! It's the unknown!

Luckily she's really adaptable, and she isn't clingy or anything, so I hope she can just be sent off to wherever and she won't be too stressed or upset.

I cannot wait to ring her from hospital and tell her little brother is here though! That will be a magical moment! xxx

Dd is quite sensitive so I was worried about that too but as it turned out she wasnt at all bothered. We made a game out of her 'helping' me breath by making huffing noises.

Ahhh bunny that is a good idea, I will have to think of something similar with my dd xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back