What books do you read?

Lou

Reaction score
Hi

Just wondered what books we were all into?

I only read nonfiction. I used to read alot of Stephen King books when I was younger but nowadays I only enjoy nonfiction.

:D

i used to read black lace books which are fiction...
but now my mums got me started on a few that shes read and they're brilliant.
they're by Joan Jonkar and authors similair to her, who write about families in the 30's and 40's.

ive just finished east end girl, and polly perkins and once i started them i couldnt put them down.

now im halfway through "sadie was a lady" by Joan Jonkar and its brill :cheer:

they're all fiction but they're written really well.

East end girl and "twopence to cross the mersey" are non fiction and are true childhood stories about how they struggles n everything, and it makes u realise how lucky you are!

i hate books like "a boy called it" or other stories about abuse on children so i stay away from them :)

I'll read anything from fiction to medical journals... I like reading.. it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling in my head.. although I suppose that could be attributed to some form of mild stroke.. :wink: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Currently I'm reading Talking to Tweenies.. (for myself) and DD and I are reading Harry Potter and the Half blood prince... (we'll be starting on His Dark Materials next :) )

I like a good autobiography and wish Robbie would do another one - I wanna know how he feels about TT getting back together - I'm nosy!

I also like fiction, love stories etc but haven't read any for ages.

I might look up those books on Ebay Kimbo, they sound good.

My favourite book is 1979 by Rhona Cameron, I don't know why but I could not put it down and have read it about 3 times.

Nonfiction

I used to reads loads of childrens fiction as a kid..................Roald Dahl, Judy Blume, Sue Townsend, Enid bytlon etc etc

But now I love autobiographies, real life books, Tales of woe! Especially books based in foreign countries...........Jean Sasson, china's lost girls etc etc
I also love books that have anything to do with 'Space', Stephen Hawkins a brief history of time springs to mind, although a heavy read in places!......I'm fascinated by our universe.

I also like to read at least 1, what I would call a 'classic', once a year. I don't always enjoy them but I think it's good for me to be well read.

Edit: I have read all the potter books so I guess I do like non fiction a little!

Squiglet said:
I'll read anything from fiction to medical journals... I like reading.. it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling in my head.. although I suppose that could be attributed to some form of mild stroke.. :wink: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Currently I'm reading Talking to Tweenies.. (for myself) and DD and I are reading Harry Potter and the Half blood prince... (we'll be starting on His Dark Materials next :) )

:rotfl: mild stroke :shock: :rotfl:

I love adventure stories and stories of survival. I used to love books like Flowers in the attic and my mum enjoys the same book as you kimbo. My mum also loves wildlife books, usually about elephants, then she always starts telling me whats happening in the book she's reading and its always sad and I have to say "don't tell me !!!!" because anything to do with animals and children really plays on my mind!

I read alot of true crime books before I had Isaac. Couldn't read them now though :shock:

I read flowers in the attic when I was about 20............I've even got the film :oops: :lol:
I read one of the books after, 'if there be thorns' :think:
***runs of to google***

Misslarue said:
Nonfiction

I used to reads loads of childrens fiction as a kid..................Roald Dahl, Judy Blume, Sue Townsend, Enid bytlon etc etc

But now I love autobiographies, real life books, Tales of woe! Especially books based in foreign countries...........Jean Sasson, china's lost girls etc etc
I also love books that have anything to do with 'Space', Stephen Hawkins a brief history of time springs to mind, although a heavy read in places!......I'm fascinated by our universe.

I also like to read at least 1, what I would call a 'classic', once a year. I don't always enjoy them but I think it's good for me to be well read.

Edit: I have read all the potter books so I guess I do like non fiction a little!

I saw Stephen Hawkins once at Cambridge University! I was absolutely gobsmacked. He was outside by the river. I didnt see him lecture or anything although I would love to! I've never read any of his books either. where should I start? :think:

Misslarue said:
I read flowers in the attic when I was about 20............I've even got the film :oops: :lol:
I read one of the books after, 'if there be thorns' :think:
***runs of to google***

I read loads of them books, can't remember the titles of any of them now :think:

HappyAlice said:
I like a good autobiography and wish Robbie would do another one - I wanna know how he feels about TT getting back together - I'm nosy!

I also like fiction, love stories etc but haven't read any for ages.

I might look up those books on Ebay Kimbo, they sound good.

My favourite book is 1979 by Rhona Cameron, I don't know why but I could not put it down and have read it about 3 times.

I like autobiographies too. Havent read one in ages though. I'm going to read Russell Brands. I have bought it for my sister for xmas so will read it when she is finished :wink:

The books I mainly read are Fantasy, Horror, Historical Fiction (love Phillipa Gregory) and pagan related books.

lou said:
Misslarue said:
Nonfiction

I saw Stephen Hawkins once at Cambridge University! I was absolutely gobsmacked. He was outside by the river. I didnt see him lecture or anything although I would love to! I've never read any of his books either. where should I start? :think:

Cool! I would love to meet him or even see him! He's such an inspiration.
My mate has seen him lecture............my mate has a degree in astrophysics and found a planet about 10 years ago

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/179909.stm

So has a little advantage! Still he's great for having long and meaningful drunk conversations about the universe with! :lol:

Misslarue said:
lou said:
Misslarue said:
Nonfiction

My mate has seen him lecture............my mate has a degree in astrophysics and found a planet about 10 years ago

So has a little advantage! Still he's great for having long and meaningful drunk conversations about the universe with! :lol:

wow I'd love to go to university. You're friend is wicked! Do you think anyone can go see Hawkins lecture? Mind you it would all go over my head anyway :oops:

Thillers- ones with serial killers and stuff. Mostly Jeffery Deaver, James Patternson and Patricia Cornwell. I read one by an English author - similar style but can't remember his name.
Like you Lou I used to love Stephen King, I read IT when I was 11 and off school with chicken-pox (I knicked it from Dad's book shelf) and I was S*** scared for weeks- but loved it!

I usually read autobiographies, and depressing true-life stories. Stephen Fry's autobiography was great, and I have Robbie's on my bookshelf but haven't got round to it yet. I'm interested in celebs with bipolar, hence Robbie and Stephen Fry, and looking forward to seeing how Robbie deals with things.

annaespana1 said:
Thillers- ones with serial killers and stuff. Mostly Jeffery Deaver, James Patternson and Patricia Cornwell. I read one by an English author - similar style but can't remember his name.
Like you Lou I used to love Stephen King, I read IT when I was 11 and off school with chicken-pox (I knicked it from Dad's book shelf) and I was S*** scared for weeks- but loved it!

:rotfl: It is really scary :shock: :rotfl:

I have read alot of true life serial killer books. Misbegotten son is a good one about Arthur shawcross and I read another one which was good called the Last victim about John Wayne Gacy. I have also read the book about Sarah Payne which is absolutely heart wrenching and I've read about the Moors murders, the Wests etc

lou said:
Misslarue said:
lou said:
Misslarue said:
Nonfiction

wow I'd love to go to university. You're friend is wicked! Do you think anyone can go see Hawkins lecture? Mind you it would all go over my head anyway :oops:

I'm not sure :think: My mate got invited. He's is wicked and he's actually a really funny guy! He's also one of the most intelligent people I know yet he has no common sense, bless him!
He's got something really exciting happening very soon, but I'm not allowed to tell anyone yet...............but won't be too long now :dance:

I've read the wests......I couldn't put that down, it was shocking :shock:

I read loads of Enid Blyton as a kid :D , then I moved on to anything with horses in. In my teens I enjoyed reading 'history' novels - Birdsong, Charlotte Gray, Enigma, Regeneration etc, now I mainly enjoy chick-lit light-hearted stuff and Barbara Taylor Bradford :oops: But my fav fiction author is Maggie O'Farrell, I love the way she writes.

I haven't read much non-fiction lately, although I enjoyed Clarkson's book that was out a couple of years ago, and have been reading OH's Dragon's Den book, and I read bits of a midwifery textbook as I find it really interesting.

Dragon's Den as in the TV series?

If so Theo Paphitis owns the company I work for and I've worked with his son a couple of times. He's a nice bloke.

kazlin said:
Dragon's Den as in the TV series?

If so Theo Paphitis owns the company I work for and I've worked with his son a couple of times. He's a nice bloke.

Oh I love him! He's my favourite on DD. I've just got Duncans book for OH though as Theo's is not out yet.

Stuart if you are reading this you've ruined your surprise :shakehead:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back