What bedding do I need for a cot bed?

ChloeSmith

Reaction score
So the cot is coming in 2 weeks - yay! :)

Want to get the bedding in so we can set it all up - but am confused by everything that's on offer!

I guess I need a sheet, a bumper and a quilt? Presumably not a pillow due to suffocation risk?

Sorry if this sounds a bit thick - I'm clueless! :wall2: :lol:

Fsid recommend no quilts pillows or bumpers until one year old, due to the risk of SIDS. We just have bottom sheet and gro bag.

Ok I've already got an 8 year old n I'm confused too so not a thick question!

I think you're on the right lined with that cot bedding...... But don't they stay in their Moses basket for the first 6 months or something :-/

I think after 6 months (it may be 12???? ) they can use gro bags which personally I prefer as they can't kick the 'cover' off or over their head n less risk if suffocation

But ill be watching your thread for answers too :) xx

You can use gro bags as soon as they weigh 8lb8 so they can't slip their head through the neck.

I would say most babies would outgrow a Moses basket before 6mo tbh (but my lo is still in hers at 6mo!)

I am totally clueless about this too so will be watching the answers very closely!!

I think we're getting a travel cot with a bassinet thing so when they go into their proper cot in their own room the travel for can drag at my mums for babysitting and nappy time at grannies as she calls it lol

We're using the moses basket till he/she outgrows it then into the cot. At the start we'll be using a bottom sheet and cellular blankets tucked firmly into the sides until baby is big enough not to be able to disappear into a gro-bag. We've been advised to place baby at the bottom of the moses basket / cot so they can't disappear underneath blankets (feet at the end of the cot) We'll then move to a gro-bag.

I have heard that cot bumpers are not recommended, we weren't going to bother getting one anyway.

This is quite a useful site http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/getting-baby-to-sleep.aspx

I didn't bother with a cot bumper the first time round. Then second time we got one but when we did use it, my daughter was constantly untying it and playing with it. Lasted about a week. Looked nice, but waste of money.

We're planning on using the Moses basket for the first few months but when we do move onto the cot the only bedding will be a bottom sheet and baby will be in a grobag.

Cot bumpers, as lovely as they look, are not recommended due to the risk of SIDS/suffocation. Same goes for pillows and quilts before 12 months.

Xxx

Forgot to say as well, if you don't want to use grobags, or until baby reaches the minimum weight, cellular blankets are great. You just have to make sure baby is positioned with feet to the bottom of the cot and the blankets securely tucked in xxx

We had a crib and it was just a mattress, sheet and cellular blankets until he was big enough for a Gro-bag.

Now we're in the cot and again it's just mattress, sheet and Gro-bag. I have cushions that I put in during the day and take out during the night.

As I am well stocked up with Gro-bags I think we'll not bother with a quilt until James is quite a bit older [we were going to get him a bedding set for his first Birthday but we wont bother now]

I am going to get him a special pillow though as he has a bit of a flat head still :lol:

xxxxxx

Thanks this is super helpful! And has saved me a fortune on one of those bed in a bags!

I'll just get sheet and cellular blankets then. I also have some gro bags for when lo is bigger. I have a Moses basket too, and will use the same there.

Thanks ladies! Xx

I used mattress protector fitted sheet and cellular blanket when my son was very wee. Or swap the cellular blanket for a swaddle for when he was tiny.

We swapped to sleeping bags/gro bags when he was big enough. They were fab particularly in winter so he couldn't kick them off like a blanket.

I generally have about 3-4 changes of bed clothes available. When they're very small they'll inevitably sick up milk on them so having a quick change is very handy.

As for the cot bumper they don't recommend that you use the cushioned ones BUT you can get mesh ones which are really useful for when you move LO into a big cot. They're breathable and help stop LO getting their arms and legs stuck through the bars when they're asleep. Just go somewhere like Amazon and search for mesh cot bumper or mesh cot wrap. There's a few different ones out there and cater for all different types of cot.

Using Tapatalk can't see no tickers grrrrr.

BTW I also used a travel cot with bassinet insert for #1 son and it was fab. Small enough so he didn't rattle around like a pea in it when he was tiny and big enough do he didn't grow out of it by the time he was ready for the big cot.

Using Tapatalk can't see no tickers grrrrr.

My bubs will be going straight in their cot just like their brothers. I've bought 2 jersey fitted sheets for our cot bed and 2 fleece blankets. Might buy a flat sheet to go between fleece blanket and fitted sheet but not acquired yet. May look into grow bags when they get a bit older. These weren't around for my last pregnancy which was over 12 years ago. If you put them with their feet at the bottom of the cot so they can't wiggle down they will be fine. Not buying any cot bumpers as they aren't recommended and I understand quilts aren't suitable until about 1 year. xxx

I think Moses baskets are up to 6months, but not suitAble once over I think it's 9 kg once they can roll over.

Freya just has a mattress and bottom sheet. Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back