What am I to do?

Daydreamx

Reaction score
I'm not sure where to post as I'm at the end of my tether!

My husband suffers badly from depression/ocd and during my recent pregnancy things became really awful - he turned suicidal. It's being treated by drugs and therapy although still very severe.

He's very controlling due to ocd and we could only choose a baby name from his agreed list. He then forced me (by crying/pleading) to change my choice of middle name when we registered the birth. This really upset me.

I felt very vulnerable for the next few weeks and wavered over the baby first name. He then had a meltdown and said he longer wanted to keep this name (although he championed it). I suggested changing to one of my favourites but apparently they weren't suitable. This has infuriated me because he chose her original name.

After consideration, I felt attached to the name she's been called for 7 weeks and would resent changing to another one of his choices! My husband has reacted by crying, in a deep depression, refusing to call her the name and badgering me to change it at every opportunity. Only he won't consider the names I like and keeps suggesting alternatives.

I wanted to talk about rationally but we can't do that. What am to do? Give in and change to another name I feel apathetic about or leave it as is and face a miserable life with him?

That sounds horrific. Depression is nasty, I've had it myself, but he's being very selfish. If I were you I'd keep the name as it is, if it has been that for 7 weeks! Doesn't everyone know the name now? Is it registered?

I wouldn't change the name. Once his meds kick in and his therapy starts to help then I am sure he will be more relaxed about it.
It sounds very difficult for you. I hope you're getting some support too xx

I'd keep the name and hope once his treated he will calm down. Sounds like a horrible time for you when it should be a happy one. Can you join any baby groups just so you can get out? Is there a support group near you for the loved ones of people who are suffering?x

Keep the name and TBH hats off to you for sticking around. I hope his meds help because that's no life for either of you to live and won't be good for a child to grow up seeing. I really hope he gets all the help and support he needs for you all to live an 'easier' life xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back