What am I doing wrong?

Sarah13

Reaction score
I'm sure most newborns sleep longer than Kynon does at night and he's 16 weeks now, I feel like everyone babies go down at 7pm and only wake once! Kynon is wide awake until about 9.30 - 10pm but is feeding and fussing loads from about 6pm he then sleeps approx 4 hours til around 2am then feeds again for a good half hour then goes about 2-3 hours before wanting another feed then goes another 2 hours and is wide awake by 8am. He has one big nap most days around 11ish for 1-2 hours and maybe another 20 mins later in the day.

I want my evenings back but I can't 'make' him sleep! I do an evening bath, booby bed routine that starts at 7pm but this just isn't working!

Any advice to give me my evenings back? I have so much to do but it doesn't get done anymore, this would be a good time to catch up!

aww hun, poor you, can't help sorry, Mhairi is the same but she is only just over 1 month so I'm hoping that this changes. She seems to have decided to be nocturnal! She sleeps all day no matter what I do, then wakes up about 7pm and will happily stay awake with just a couple of naps til 3/4am! its rubbish! I'm trying the bath/bottle/bed routine at about 9pm but its just not working, shes not crying, shes just awake! lol bless him, hope he settles down soon. We're going to try the johnsons bedtime bath stuff and see if that helps, we're also going to baby massage on wednesday as HV recommended it to help her with her colic and to sleep, might be worth a try :)

When you do your bedtime routine is it quite dark after Kynon having a bath hunny? With both of mine the lights have to be dimmed for them to settle.
Have you also tired abit of white noise?it may help Kynon get in a deeper sleep.
Hope you manage to find something that works x x

Do you use a dummy at all?? I personally don't with Jack but perhaps Kynon is just comfort seeking. I'm quite sure Jack is doing this too. Last night he fussed in the evening from about 6pm ( I think he just gets over tired). He went off to sleep at 9pm then woke at 1am and 5am....7am (then being mean I got him to stay in his moses basket till 10am as I was so tired! He did moan a bit but I know hes still tired!

I can just imagine how you feel as its so hard constantly breastfeeding but Kynon is doing so well. Do you go to him immediately in the night when he wakes up? I quite often wait to see if Jack resettles himself, occasionally he does!

I know you've been to baby massage, do you give Kynon a massage before bedtime? Don't know if it works but sometimes anything just to fill the evening helps me!

Good luck you are doing so well xxx

aww hun, poor you, can't help sorry, Mhairi is the same but she is only just over 1 month so I'm hoping that this changes. She seems to have decided to be nocturnal! She sleeps all day no matter what I do, then wakes up about 7pm and will happily stay awake with just a couple of naps til 3/4am! its rubbish! I'm trying the bath/bottle/bed routine at about 9pm but its just not working, shes not crying, shes just awake! lol bless him, hope he settles down soon. We're going to try the johnsons bedtime bath stuff and see if that helps, we're also going to baby massage on wednesday as HV recommended it to help her with her colic and to sleep, might be worth a try :)

Kynon was nocturnal too even when I was pregnant! Hope your LO gets more settled soon too. We do baby massage, I went to classes too, he loves it, might be an idea to do that at night, we tend to do it in the mornings. Think it will help with colic, our tutor gave some good advice for that. The bedtime bath made no difference for us, it's like a bath wakes him up!

lol aww bless, Mhairi likes the bath too, seems to wake her up as well! Grrr... strange little child, can't wait til Weds, should be good :)

When you do your bedtime routine is it quite dark after Kynon having a bath hunny? With both of mine the lights have to be dimmed for them to settle.
Have you also tired abit of white noise?it may help Kynon get in a deeper sleep.
Hope you manage to find something that works x x

Dimmed lights don't always work either he just screams in his cot till I get him! Not tried the white noise but funny you should mention it cos he always stops crying when I put hair dryer or Hoover on!

Do you have an iphone hun? There is an app or if not, youtube have it on there. Could be worth a try x x

Do you use a dummy at all?? I personally don't with Jack but perhaps Kynon is just comfort seeking. I'm quite sure Jack is doing this too. Last night he fussed in the evening from about 6pm ( I think he just gets over tired). He went off to sleep at 9pm then woke at 1am and 5am....7am (then being mean I got him to stay in his moses basket till 10am as I was so tired! He did moan a bit but I know hes still tired!

I can just imagine how you feel as its so hard constantly breastfeeding but Kynon is doing so well. Do you go to him immediately in the night when he wakes up? I quite often wait to see if Jack resettles himself, occasionally he does!

I know you've been to baby massage, do you give Kynon a massage before bedtime? Don't know if it works but sometimes anything just to fill the evening helps me!

Good luck you are doing so well xxx

He won't take a dummy either, despite trying loads of different ones! I do think he's comforting but Im not sure how to stop it or if I should yet, I can't bear him crying! Im pretty sure he's teething too which isn't helping! I do go to him quite quickly at night as I don't want him to wake my DD who has school but maybe I could leave him a little longer. Think I'll try the massage at night instead.
Least he's not the only needy boy, just sometimes feels it doesn't it when other babies are sleeping well at night!

The one on itunes is called sleepy baby hun, its got lullabies, white noise and nature sounds :) x x

Not going to be much help but i found its a bit better if he is awake for 2 hours before bed. I dim the lights, i have slumber bear which plays white noise and womb sounds but it doesnt work unfortunately. He needs to comfort suck otherwise he screams blue murder. On Thursday i had groceries delivery around 8 and had to leave him upstairs for 3-4 minutes. He cried so hard he vomited. :(
He did start waking up once but after i introduced dream feed at 11. Can you express and do dream feed? My friend who exclusively breastfeeds does it without expressing though, she just takes him out of the cot.
I am trying massage now to see if it helps. I find he gets too excited in a bath.
Its normal for them not to sleep through until 6 months at least. 6 hours in a row is considered sleeping through though if that helps.

sent from my Galaxy s2

Thanks m2a I've just downloaded it and another white noise one, got to be worth a try!

Hey hun....up until just before Christmas Freya was up until 11.30pm every night cluster feeding and like you we just wanted our night s back! We started to bring it forward 15 minutes every week...do that for a week and then bring it forward another 15.

We're now back to 8.30pm and she jumped from 9.30 to 8.30pm on her own.

We bath her around 6-6.30 and then she plays until 7.45....we then go into the bedroom....lights dim and have a last feed (with her sleeping bag on so she knows its bedtime). So next week we will start going into the bedroom at 7.30 (bringing it forward 15)......ideally I want her in bed for 7-7.30!

Most of the hard work she's kind of done herself as she is tired after bath....she also wakes at approx 3am for a feed and then back down until 7am/8am.....I also make sure shell well stocked up during the day lol

HTH xxx

Sent from my sparkly new 4s!!!

Not going to be much help but i found its a bit better if he is awake for 2 hours before bed. I dim the lights, i have slumber bear which plays white noise and womb sounds but it doesnt work unfortunately. He needs to comfort suck otherwise he screams blue murder. On Thursday i had groceries delivery around 8 and had to leave him upstairs for 3-4 minutes. He cried so hard he vomited. :(
He did start waking up once but after i introduced dream feed at 11. Can you express and do dream feed? My friend who exclusively breastfeeds does it without expressing though, she just takes him out of the cot.
I am trying massage now to see if it helps. I find he gets too excited in a bath.
Its normal for them not to sleep through until 6 months at least. 6 hours in a row is considered sleeping through though if that helps.

sent from my Galaxy s2

That's good to know, you often wonder why your baby isn't sleeping so long as others and waking more, he has gone 6 hours a couple of times when I was visiting my mums at Christmas, her house is like a sauna so maybe because he was more cosy there!
I can express but he won't take a bottle but maybe I could lift him and do a dream feed, I did it a few times a while back when he was younger.

Can I butt in and ask a silly question? Can you dream feed if you're breast feeding? It takes me forever to get a decent amount if I express so I'd never be able to give him a bottle every night.
Ryan is always wide awake after I feed him, it's like I recharge his batteries.
He's 4 1/2 months now. I usually give him his last feed between 9.30-10.30 then put him in his bouncy chair in his sleeping bag with the 'nighttime' music on and he normally doses off after an hour or so.
I usually put him in his crib around midnight.
I'd love to put him down earlier.

Hey hun....up until just before Christmas Freya was up until 11.30pm every night cluster feeding and like you we just wanted our night s back! We started to bring it forward 15 minutes every week...do that for a week and then bring it forward another 15.

We bath her around 6-6.30 and then she plays until 7.45....we then go into the bedroom....lights dim and have a last feed (with her sleeping bag on so she knows its bedtime). So next week we will start going into the bedroom at 7.30 (bringing it forward 15)......ideally I want her in bed for 7-7.30!

Most of the hard work she's kind of done herself as she is tired after bath....she also wakes at approx 3am for a feed and then back down until 7am/8am.....I also make sure shell well stocked up during the day lol

HTH xxx

Thanks, your evening routine sounds a bit like mine so maybe the very gradual approach will work, think I'll try that too and not rush him to suddenly go down at 7

Can I butt in and ask a silly question? Can you dream feed if you're breast feeding? It takes me forever to get a decent amount if I express so I'd never be able to give him a bottle every night.
Ryan is always wide awake after I feed him, it's like I recharge his batteries.
He's 4 1/2 months now. I usually give him his last feed between 9.30-10.30 then put him in his bouncy chair in his sleeping bag with the 'nighttime' music on and he normally doses off after an hour or so.
I usually put him in his crib around midnight.
I'd love to put him down earlier.

Yeah ive tried it before and he didn't wake, but still woke another 2 hours later! He seemed quite happy to be given this extra little night feed! Know what you mean about recharging their batteries, he falls asleep on the boob then soon as he's moved he's wide awake again, even more so during the day!

Ethan would fall sound asleep during his night feed and as soon as I put him in his cot he would wake immediately again. It was taking me hours to get him to settle during the night. My friend suggested putting a hot water bottle in hos cot while I am feeding him and obviously taking it away when I put him back in after his feed. I do this before we put him down in the evening too. So far it's worked a treat and he seems to be going a bit longer between feed too. I think he likes to be cosy.

HTH xxx

Thanks, your evening routine sounds a bit like mine so maybe the very gradual approach will work, think I'll try that too and not rush him to suddenly go down at 7

Yeah its definately worked better doing it gradually, almost like she hasnt noticed lol! We also have a little massage after bath to chill her out.

Its been great to gradually get our nights back and chill together as a couple and we only started doing it just before christmas so its been quick too!

Now just need to crack the daytime routine :shock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back