We've been referred!!!

ScotchEgg

Reaction score
I can hardly believe this has happened so quickly - we had our consultant appointment following our mega-testing month this afternoon.

Everything looks fine for me, OH's sperm count had reduced from the original 0.6 million per ml to 0.2 million per ml, but he said that's not much change really as the count is so low the margins of error are quite high. It also makes no difference to what we need. There are sperm, there's some good ones in there and that's all we need.

Anyway, consultant and OH had a chat about reasons for the low count. He suggested that it's unlikely it's related to his undescended testicle as only one was undescended so he'd expect at least 50% of a normal count if that was the case. Although it could be a factor. The fact OH's dad also had problems and a low count suggest that it's genetic.

Consultant has requested a DNA test to see what's going on, although he's said it may not happen as it's expensive and the NHS may not pay for it. He said he'd give it a go though.

He then filled in all the forms to refer us to Hammersmith Hospital in London for IVF with ICSI. Apparently we should expect an appointment in about 6 weeks!!! All things going well we should be set to start treatment in April/May.

I'm astounded by the timescales. I thought this would take much longer. But I'm not complaining. We're both excited, frightened, pleased and nervous. We've taken a massive step on this journey today.

That's amazing news!! You're right you have taken big steps today and I can't believe it could happen so soon for you! Xxx

That's amazing scotchegg! You will have to tell me what Hammersmith are like, as we get the option to go there too if we get referred in March!

I am really pleased it is moving quick for you xxxxx

Love Gizzy xxxxx

thats great news so pleased for you xxxxxxxxxxxx

I'll keep you updated. I've a friend who's trying to go into fertility (she pulls them out at the moment [her words not mine] and wants to help put them in) and she said that of the choices we have Hammersmith is by far the best.

Oh my goodness scotch thats flipping fantastic, heres to a summer BFP xxx

6 weeks seriously thats amazing news! So happy for you Scotch and unbelievably jealous! Ive got a 2 year wait for IUI! Might consider buying a house in Hammersmith!!!!!

That's great news scotch!! Very best of luck with everything, I'm rooting for you xxx

thank you all for your kind words - i'm still blown over with it all. I think things have happened so quickly as OH's sperm count is so low that there's no other options available to us so there's no other things to do in the mean time...

Hiya Scotch - so happy for you :)

I was surprised how quickly it happened once they figured out we needed some help and that we needed ICSI.

The diagnostic bit is the pain in the arse :roll:

Once you have your appointment you should be able to go asap on your following cycle so you might even be my cycle buddy if the timing falls into place as i'll be having egg collection in March ;)

That is awesome news hun, really happy for you xx

Wow Scotch, I'm over the moon for you! :yay:

Fantastic news hun!

x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member