Wetherspoons limits parents drinks.

Urchin

Reaction score
Adults with children are only allowed two alcoholic drinks at JD Wetherspoon pubs in order to limit their stay, the chain has confirmed to the BBC.

A spokesman for the company said it was "uncomfortable" with children being on the premises for long periods because of a lack of play facilities.

And he said parents visiting its pubs could even be refused soft drinks or coffee to curtail their stay.

There are 683 Wetherspoon pubs throughout the UK.

The drinks policy came to light when Stephen Gandy contacted the BBC after visiting a Wetherspoon pub in Wallasey on Merseyside for a meal with family and friends.

The group was told that they could not have more than two alcoholic drinks each because they were with a child, even though the child's mother was only drinking water.

The family say they were told that the aim of the restriction was to prevent "child cruelty".

When the BBC contacted JD Wetherspoon a spokesman confirmed the policy was in place, but denied it had anything to do with child cruelty.

From here

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7170939.stm

What do you think?

i saw this on GMTV this morning.

i don't think it's fair to be honest... i agree with time limits like 7/8pm for when children have to be off the premises, but when you're out for a meal with the kids, you don't want to be rushed do you?

i think they will lose custom now.

if children are being noisy and running around disturbing other people then yes, have a word with the parents, but when you're paying for a meal, you should be able to relax with drinks afterwards

Yeah I agree, but I guess it depends on the parents.

Whenever I go for a meal I take colouring, cars, small toys etc. and if the kids get restless we hurry up and leave.

I bet some parents would sit in there all day though, but I'd hate to be asked to leave when my kids were entertained and happy.

No its not fair they are treating all parents like irresposable adults, most parents don't want their children in a pub for long periods of time anyway but thats not the point.
As its been said when your having a meal its nice to relax as a family and not count the drinks and feel like you need to be rushed.
If the children are in the areas where they should be and behaving then i don't see it as a major problem.

Personally I think its a good idea, I have been brought up to believe that pubs are for adults and I dont think kids belong in them for extended periods of time. We take Jake only when whe have a pub lunch and dont spend more than an hour there. I know some pubs are more child friendly in that they have outside play areas etc... but the pubs in question have nothing like this for kids.

I remember on wifeswap a few months ago there was a family who took the kids to the pub and they would be there for hours, way after their bedtime while the parent just got wasted and the kids had to look after their parents. The temporary mum was horrified, and I would have been too.

I think the idea of limiting the 2 units of alcohol to parents is a good idea, I don't think a parent should be drinking in the day with kids really anyway. But I don't think it's fair to limit the time parents and children can stay in a pub. If I go to wetherspoons in the day, I fully expect children to be there and I don't have a problem with it. They are usually only allowed in certain areas and if you don't want to be sat with them you don't have to. I would kick off if someone told me I couldn't stay more than a certain time if I had PAID to be there.

No wonder people increasingly have problems taking responsibilty for their actions! It seems more and more of our decisions are taken away from us.

No, I don't agree with pissed parents, of course not, but I don't agree with a pub deciding either. People should be encouaged to make their own sensible decisions through education not stupid rules. Bloody nanny state :x

I agree with Minxy.
On a different note, I was at a play barn type pup when my dd was two. The policy was that adults could be in pub area and watch kids on screens and this was how they could be 'supervised'. It was very rough in play area with no one (except me and my sister) looking after their children. I complained to manager and GOT THROWN OUT!!!! Can you believe that - we didn't swear, were not threatening or anything (and had not had anything other than diet coke to drink). We just pointed out that children were not being supervised and something needed to be done about it. Trouble was we were definately right and manager didn't like it. I complained to health and safety executive and they went round to check them out :wink: :wink:

Thats outrageous imo.

They should be allowed to ask people to leave if for example, they are getting wasted and paying no attention to what their bored kids are up to, but what they are doing is too extreme and I would be insulted if I took my kids for a meal and was given a time scale of how long I could be there.

Well I just know never to take them for a meal in Weatherspoons now and I bet theres enough people saying the same thing for them to feel the pinch...then they will miss the family custom :shakehead:

I really don't think they should be making that decision for all parents. I'd like to make my own mind up how long I stay. I know you do get some parents that will go and sit in a pub all day but most people aren't like that. I for one won't be taking the kids there for a meal now, the rate Aimee eats we need to be there for at least 2 hours :roll:

i put yes, i don't think children should be hanging around pubs, and if you want to go out for more than 2 drinks u should get a babysitter

thats awful and they will definately loose my custom as we always eat there

I heard on the radio this morning that its not just alcoholic drinks but also soft drinks that may be refused! Its all a bit big brotherish to me. Its supposed to be a free country and as responsible adults we should be allowed to make these sorts of decisions by ourselves.

Especially now that the no smoking policy has been brought in so the pubs are more like cafes in the day time these days and wont harm the children in terms of smoke inhalation etc - if I want to go for a meal with my friends and our children in the day, I dont want to feel that Im looking at my watch all the time.

If pubs dont want children in them then ban them completely and we will stick to the child friendly ones, but I think implementing a time limit is silly, overbearing and I think a lot of parents will be put off from going in there completely.

i think its ridiculous to be told how many drinks u can have!

I've never heard aynthing so ridiculous!

:shock:

Why don't they just ban families from their pubs, if they don't want their custom?

I'd never take my kids there now I've heard that.

I'm an adult and I'll make my own decisions!

Even though I am not there now, I come from Chichester and Wetherspoons is about one of the only reasonably priced places to go. The pubs that are there are not that nice and the nice pubs were turned into upmarket restaurants.

We go with Kai at least once a week to some kind of restaurant and have been doing so since he was a small baby and on the whole he acts very well. He sits in the highchair behaving for the duration of the meal. We know his limits and know that he wouldn't sit there for very long, so everything is timed to perfection. Most restaurants give crayons so these keep him happy until the food is here and then he just eats that. On the occasion he is difficult we hurry up and leave.

They are trying to punish the masses for the few with naughty kids that are running around and screaming. They probably don't want kids full-stop but banning kids would be terrible PR.

It's funny since the smoking ban has come into effect they aren't as busy as they used to be. When I lived there in for example 2000 it was really difficult to get a table at lunchtime, now you can. The majority of people in there are old people now at lunch.

Here in Canada you see kids out at restaurants in the evening and it is just part of life, in England, kids should be seen and not heard. Never mind in the Southern Europe where kids stay up really late and actually take part in family life.

i think its disgusting and will not be going to wetherspoons again with my children their food sucks anyway :puke: we are lucky in having a brewers fayre not too far away where there is a childrens section and a play area we will be going there all the time now and completely avoiding wetherspoons xxxxxxx

I voted not sure, only cos I do agree if you have kids with you really you shouldn't be having any more than a couple of alcoholic drinks. However I totally disagree with the fact they would ban soft drinks too. If I'm paying to eat somewhere I don't expect to be moved on.. kids or no kids.

I for one won't be eating there again :?

I don't know why anyone is getting upset over this - Wetherspoon's in my opinion is only for when there are no proper pubs left on the planet! I have taken my baby to my local. My husband is chairman of the village cricket club and she first went to the pub after cricket at 7 days old. Everyone was pleased to see her. We also go to pub quiz, and - shock horror! - my husband may have as many as 3 alcoholic drinks in an evening. I drink soft drinks because I have a baby to feed and because I have to drive home. We have a lovely time, although it will be less frequent soon because baby is currently refusing to sleep through the quiz like she used to. Pah! She has been to a number of the other village pubs in the area, without any complaint at all.

Let the bland pretences at pubs do themselves out of business if they want to. There are 2 coffee shops near me - one encourages breastfeeding mothers and one of them requests that they sit at the back out of sight. Guess which one is heaving all day?

me and fiance and 2 year old went in wetherspoons near us before xmas and the area that used to be the non smoking area is where we used to sit, it was full, there were no notices up at all so we sat just at the other side of the wall to that area, sat, got a high chair, got chloe out and settled and a member of staff came over and said im sorry can i ask you to move to the kids area, we said we were unaware that the area specified was the only area kids were allowed to sit, and that the area was full. He then said well can you leave please then, i was livid as half the people sat in the so called kids area had no children with them but they dont get asked to move elsewhere. We then went to pizzahut for the 1st time and were treat excellently, their customer services and dealing with children is brilliant, so we had alread abandoned wetherspoons. Chloe is a quite child and if she was to start and cause a disturbance we would hasten to leave anyhow!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back