welcome to the children of the 80's

Tara & Liam

Reaction score
Welcome and enjoy children of the 80’s

1. Um Bongo, Um Bongo, they drink it in the Congo
2. Friendship bracelets were ties that couldn’t be broken
3. You know all the words to “Ice Ice Baby”
4. You wanted to be on “Jim’ll fix it”
5. You can remember what Michael Jackson looked like before he had plastic surgery
6. You had one of the T-shirts that changed colour with heat (global hypercolour)
7. You know the profound meaning of “Wax on, Wax off”
8. You were upset when She-Ra, Princess of Power and He-man got cancelled
9. You remember Madonna in her cone, stage outfit.
10. You knew “The Artist” when he was humbly called “Prince”
11. You wore fluorescent-neon clothing (if you can call it clothing)
12. You could break dance(ok you wished you could)
13. You remember when Amiga was a state of the art video game system
14. You remember M.C. Hammer
15. You own any cassettes
16. You carried your lunch to school in a Gremilins, ALF or ET lunchbox.
17. My little Pony, Gummy Bears and Transformers are familiar to you.
18. You believed that “By the power of Greyskull,” you had the power.
19. Big wheels and BMX’s were the way to go.
20. Partying “Like it’s 1999” seemed SO far away
21. You wore a banana clip at some point during your youth.
22. You were led to believe that in the year 2000 we would all be living in space.
23. You know what leg warmers are and probably had a pair
24. You wore biker shorts underneath a short skirt and felt stylish
25. You recorded songs off the radio with your ghetto-blaster
26. You wore those wide colourful shoelaces.
27. You never questioned why the A-Team were always imprisoned in places that had sufficient tools to build an armoured tank.
28. Dungeons & Dragons was your favourite programme.
29. You said “Bright light, bright light” in a strange high pitched voice.
30. You fell out with friends during heated arguments about the relative merits of Matt & Luke.
31. Cerise pink, electric blue and banana yellow have ever featured in your wardrobe or makeup collection.
32. You did the top toggle of your coat up around your neck without having your arms in the sleeves, and you knew you looked like a superhero.
33. Your new winter coat was best used to demonstrate that your wings were like a shield of steel
34. You still remember when the A-ha video was the pinnacle of modern technology and you can still sing all the words.
35. Your best party dress was either a ra-ra of puff-ball skirt
36. You remember watching a house inhabited by a jester, a pantomime horse and a woman who sneezed, and thinking that this was perfectly normal
37. You tried to convince your dad to fit a strip of red lights on the front of his Capri so that it looked like KITT.
38. You could buy more than 10 sweets for 10p
39. You hid behind the sofa whenever you heard the word “Exterminate”
40. Girls – you owned a pair of Pixie boots, generally worn with leg warmers
41. Boys – you owned a pair of pale grey slip-ons, generally worn with white towelling socks.
42. Ooh, you could crush a grape
43. You held a chicken in the air or stuck a deckchair up your nose.
44. You wore legwarmers & tried to do the splits while jumping in the air while singing you were going to live forever
45. Your best mate had a Soda Stream at home and you were jealous
46. Any elderly Scottish lady sounds like Supergran
47. You remember playing British Bulldog
48. When ‘Computer’ Tennis, Pac-Man and Donkey Kong ruled.
49. You remember hearing the tune then running out to buy an ice-cream cone on a warm summer night – 99’s, screwballs or a cider lolly
50. Water balloons were the ultimate weapon
51. Important decisions were made by going “eeny-meeny-miney-mo”
52. Everything was Ace
53. You could drink half a can of Shandy Bass and pretend you were drunk
54. Pass this on to anyone who needs a break – I DOUBLE DARE YA

That's ACE!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I remember all of these things! :lol:

lol sam

yep so do i.

i feel old.

i watched one of the Xtra factor programmes and it showed Andy breakdancing and i thought oh no, he shouldnt be doing that he is 41. but when you think back to when it was popular in the beginning of the 80's he was only in his late teens early twenties.

x

ooh Davina i am such an 80's Child, I loved Aha's Take On ME and was disgusted when that boy band didi it!!

Also found it weird when all electric blue stuff came back in fashion couple of years ago.

Feel older than 27 lol.

Don't know about anyone else but at our school discos they always used to play wig wam bam, timewarp and superman and worst thing is i still know all the actions :oops:

Uh Oh! I remember all that stuff too!

Re number 46....how about this for a claim to faim...... Supergran was my OH's Auntie......yes, for real!

oh dear, now i really feel old..... (as if i didn't feel 85 already with all the extra pregnancy weight! lol) my friend had an amiga AND a sodastream, and i was soooooooo jealous.... :lol:

some more funny things about the 80's

If you were born before 1986 OLD AND PROUD!!!!

According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who
were kids in the 60's, 70's and early 80's probably shouldn't have
survived, because our baby cots were covered with brightly coloured lead-based paint which was promptly chewed and licked.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, or latches on doors or cabinets and it was fine to play with pans. When we rode our bikes, we wore no helmets, just flip-flops with fluorescent 'spokey dokey's' on our wheels.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or airbags riding
in the passenger seat was a treat. We drank water from the garden
hose and not from a bottle and it tasted the same. We ate chips, bread
and butter pudding and drank fizzy juice with sugar in it, but we were
never overweight because we were always outside playing. We shared one drink with four friends, from one bottle or can and no-one actually
died from this.

We would spend hours building go-carts out of scraps and then went top
speed down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running
into stinging nettles a few times, we learned to solve the problem. We
would leave home in the morning and could play all day, as long as
we were back before it got dark. No one was able to reach us and no one
minded.

We did not have PlayStations or X-Boxes, no video games at all. No
99 channels on TV, no videotape movies, no surround sound, no mobile phones, no personal computers, no DVDs, no Internet chat rooms. We had friends - we went outside and found them.

We played elastics and rounders, and sometimes that ball really hurt! We
fell out of trees, got cut, and broke bones but there were no law suits.
We had full on fist fights but no prosecution followed from other parents.
We played clap-the-door-run-away and were actually afraid of the
owners catching us.

We walked to friends' homes. We also, believe it or not, WALKED to school; we didn't rely on mummy or daddy to drive us to school, which was just round the corner. We made up games with sticks and tennis balls. We rode bikes in packs of 7 and wore our coats by only the hood. The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of... They actually sided with the law.

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem
solvers and inventors, ever. The past 50 years have been an explosion of
innovation and new ideas. We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all. And you're one of
them. Congratulations!

Pass this message on to others who have had the luck to grow as real
kids, before lawyers and government regulated our lives, for our own good. For those of you who aren't old enough, thought you might like
to read about us. This my friends, is surprisingly frightening......and
it might put a smile on your face: The majority of students in universities
today were born in 1986........They are called youth. They have never
heard of We are the World, We are the children, and the Uptown Girl they know is by Westlife not Billy Joel. They have never heard of Rick Astley, Bananarama, Nena Cherry or Belinda Carlisle.

For them, there has always been only one Germany and one Vietnam.
AIDS has existed since they were born. CD's have existed since they were born. Michael Jackson has always been white. To them John Travolta has always been round in shape and they can't imagine how this fat guy could be a god of dance. They believe that Charlie's Angels and Mission Impossible are films from last year.

They can never imagine life before computers. They'll never have pretended to be the A Team, RedHand Gang or the Famous Five.
They'll never have applied to be on Jim'll Fix It or Why Don't You.
They can't believe a black and white television ever existed. And they
will never understand how we could leave the house without a mobile phone.

Now let's check if we're getting old...
1. You understand what was written above and you smile.
2. You need to sleep more, usually until the afternoon, after a night out.
3. Your friends are getting married/already married.
4. You are always surprised to see small children playing comfortably with
computers.
5. When you see teenagers with mobile phones, you shake your head.
6. You remember watching Dirty Den in EastEnders the first time around.
7. You meet your friends from time to time, talking about the good old days, and repeating again all the funny things you have experienced
together.

Elaine i read all that with a smile on my face. oh my god i remember all of it. We used to go out all day playing over the fields with just a jam sandwich and a jublee, that used to keep us going all day.

i do think that the kids of today are missing out. my hubby says that we were the last generation that actually experienced what it was like to be a kid.

how about starting another post for people to say what they asked Jim'll fix it for.

x

Hi Ladies

I too remember all of those things and can I just say that the 80's were the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Xxx

Elaine that is a briliant post i think i might print that out and frame it!!!

Everything you said is so true, When i was 7 my mum used to let me go to corner shopo for milk/ sweets etc...
I won't even let Emily out of the garden to play have just let her go to grandma's if i watch her over the road.

Think might be little paranoid or over protective but i dont think you can be too careful nowadays.

You cant be too careful with them now Jo, i mean did you read that article in the paper about the 6 year old getting abducted out of the bath. i mean, bloody hell.

Davina, the news about that little girl nearly had me in tears, i mean our children should be safe in their own houses for god sakes, i am starting to get worried because my little girl starts middle school in 2 years time!!!! i know thats ages away but she will be walking by herself, prob with mates and its only a 10 minute walk but am terrified already, I know i can't walk her up there as jack will have started Nursery then i think, and if i did walk her i would be frightened she would be picked on.

Sorry if that doesnt make sense, i am sure you get what i mean.

I mean when do we let them grow up??? Emily is such a sensible clever girl and i feel really mean sometimes for not letting her have more freedom, but there is just so many freaks about, i dont know what to do for best.

Ok thats the end of that freaked out rant :wink:

Couple of things on the subject of lost childhood freedom:

When I was taking a media studies course a few years ago I found out that although reports of crime against children and old people had increased, the incidence had not. Don't know if that still holds true - this was 10 years ago - but I found it interesting.

Also, people drive their kids to school to keep them safe which means there are more cars on the road which means that it's not safe to let kids walk to school so people drive their kids to school to keep them safe.... hmm?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back