Weight issues!!

kittyrooroo

Reaction score
I took jack to the health visitor to get weighed today since he's been ill recently and his jeans look baggy!
He's only put on 14oz in 6weeks :( she asked about weaning and I said we'd waited until 6 months and now two weeks in he has porridge for breakfast, a veg purée for tea at nursery and some finger foods with us when we have our tea at 7ish.
She told me it wasn't enough and he looked pale!

I feel like I've done everything wrong! I waited til 6 months and once we hit it, I didn't want to just start on 3 meals a day, I thought it would be too much for his tum! Now I don't know what to do?

I have to get his iron and his weight up, the HV mentioned chicken but I don't know how to get it into his diet?

Tonight I'll get him a jacket potato with beans but I don't know how to prepare it?!
Tomorrow is scrambled eggs on toast. I'm planning to give 3 meals a day plus finger foods for supper and hopefully he'll take it all.

Does anyone have any other meal ideas? I've never even used a blender! Xxxxxxx

Tbh if he has been ill recently it's no wonder that he hasn't put on as much weight. 14oz in 6 weeks works out at just over 2oz a week which is just under average weekly gain for a 6 month old and since he's been ill I wouldn't be too concerned.

I don't think the HV should have made you feel like you are starving your child!

Jacket potato with beans you can cook as normal, mash the filling together with beans (add formula milk and a bit of cheese to make more high calorie if you want). Although the bean shells might be hard to digest? Not sure as your LO is a little older than mine.

Chicken can just be pulsed up with some veg purée really or there are loads of weaning recipes around. You can get a cheapie hand blender from any supermarket, my stick blender from TESCO is amazing. Xx

Have a look on the Annabel karmel website. There are lots of puree ideas there for chicken x

tapatalking

Proud mummy of Seren 15 Nov 2010 & Bethan 12 Oct 2012

Oh hun, I'd try not to worry too much! Seeing he's been poorly, 14oz weight gain isn't too bad - at least he hasn't lost any weight..
You could try: cheese on toast, mini pizzas, omelettes, pieces of meat, sandwiches, pasta in sauce, meatballs..

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back