Weight gain

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by kitty2016, Jul 31, 2016.

1. kitty2016

kitty2016 Well-Known Member

Hello all, Just looking for a bit of advice as I'm feeling pretty down about this..

During my pregnancy I put on about 3stone which wasn't really ideal but I had come to terms with it. Within a week of giving birth I had lost 18lbs and a ton of water weight which made me feel much better.

I'm Exclusively breastfeeding and it's going well, little one is a hungry devil and at 7 weeks old he has got into the habit of cluster feeding in the evenings!

Although I know I have a good appetite... I could eat all day long if I allowed myself. I know I'm not being 'naughty' with what I eat. I've even started calorie counting to ensure that I'm eating enough/not eating too much as I know dieting is dangerous when breastfeeding.
    I have no issues with supply and if anything I am over producing.

The problem is, I've put on 6/7lbs in the last couple of weeks and I'm now still 30lbs over my pre pregnancy weight!

I'm feeling pretty down as my clothes are getting tighter and I already don't feel as good as I did straight after birth :-(

Has anyone else experienced this? So annoying as everyone always bangs on about how the weight will 'drop off' if breastfeeding!

#1 kitty2016, Jul 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  2. Maud

Maud Well-Known Member

With my first my weight just dropped off but this time around I started gaining so I am calorie counting (not dieting) in an effort to curtail my cake scoffing. I think it's because I was eating too much during pregnancy plus I was stuck on the sofa feeding or holding a sleeping baby all day long last time so no time to snack, whereas this time I have a toddler eating 3 meals and 2 snacks a day and baking is one of our favourite activities.

3. MrsT2011

MrsT2011 Well-Known Member

Yes same happened to me Hun I lost 22lb witching 4 weeks of birth but by 7 weeks had put 1/2 stone back on.
    I was and still am constantly hungry lol. I started slimming world 5 weeks ago and eat so much but have lost a stone already.
    I snack on lots of fruit, cooked meats and things like popcorn x

4. Maud

Maud Well-Known Member

Argh, I have insatiable appetite today and chocolate cravings. Going to totally overeat :-(

5. BunnyN

BunnyN Well-Known Member

I lost weight BFing but my mum put on weight. She found it increased her apatite and made her metabolism slower.

6. tinselcat

tinselcat Well-Known Member

Hi kitty

I think you get the best calorie burning from breastfeeding at about 6 months, when baby is consuming upto 500 kcal a day. When baby is much younger, just a couple of months old etc, they are taking a lot less calories from you.

I slowly lost weight while BFing but it was up & down/stagnating, depending on how much I was eating at the time (they say you can't outrun your fork! not that I was doing any running :) )

xx

7. kitty2016

Thanks guys.

My hunger has calmed down over the past week or so but still
    Only losing very slowly, probably 1lb a week at the moment even though I aam actively trying. I'm
    Calorie counting and walking at least 2 miles per day. I'm babywearing too so that adds extra stamina!

Just frustrating to hear friends/other mums says "it falls off" when breastfeeding as I wholeheartedly disagree!!

#7 kitty2016, Aug 3, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  8. purpleslurple

purpleslurple Well-Known Member

There is evidence that the hormone prolactin which causes your body to make milk can also contribute to fat storage. Studies suggest that when prolactin levels fall when your LO is around 4-6 months, some women start to notice greater weight loss.

Don't beat yourself up about it, the weight will come off x

9. kitty2016

That's interesting! And thank you xx