Weight Gain - What's average

emma1976

Reaction score
Can anyone help, I am 25 weeks on Monday and have put on a 15 lbs now. Is this too much. I don't want to get putting too much on so it's harder to lose but I can't stop eating! I have no idea what the average is an how much I meant to put on.

This doesn't help working in an office with a girl who's 2 weeks further gone, taller, slimmer and still getting into her skinny trousers. I feel a real lard ass :( especially when people comment on how small she is and how much bigger I am to her :( I want to be proud of my bump and am when I am not around skinny pregnant women but I feel like a roly poly and getting a bit concious.

Em xxx

That doesn't sound too much to me.

I have read quite a lot of books and web sites on the subject and I have created myself a little chart for plotting my weight week by week ( I am a bit of a control freak with my weight after being overweight for a long time in the past)

At the 25 week point it says I should have put on about 15 pounds, so it sounds like you are doing it by the rule books to me! Don't worry!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Thanks for getting back so quick. I bought some scales at the weekend to keep track. it's better to keep track of your weight especially now. Even if I wasn't pregnant I could never be anorexic! Food! Mmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!

xx

Hi

I have read in my book that it is average to put on about 2 stone, im over half way and have already put on just over 1 stone so hoping I wont be to bad!!!

Natalie x

Don't worry about the skinny women in the office. Just relax and enjoy being pregnant. My belly is really sticking out this week and I have only put on five pounds so far.

Just enjoy yourself and enjoy your food.

And only weigh once a week, if that, don't keep checking :D :D :D :D :D

The normal weight gain is supposed to be 2-4 pounds in the first trimester and a pound a week in the second trimester and about 3/4 pound a week in the last one.

My friend became six stone overweight after having her baby back in 1997. She is now eight stone overweight.

She ate for two literally and has regretted it ever since

Now that is when you really need to worry!

Hoorah! I haven't got on the scales since week 12 and don't intend to but that sounds like more than I'd thought!! I'd put on 4 lbs by week 12 but I have no idea about since and am concerned that if I check I'll get only get paranoid (and probably go into shock!).

Breastfeeding helps burn calories apparently so I'm hoping that that will be possible and will help to get my weight off afterwards. My Mum didn't get her weight down after me and before she had my brother and it took a long time to get it off after that so I want to get back to where I was pre-sprog after this baby in case I have any more in the future. I've been three stone heavier than I was pre-preg and have lost it slowly gearing up for all of this over the past few years so I don't want to let it all go again afterwards as I know how down it makes me feel! It's tricky now though as I want to eat everything at the moment and am trying really really hard to be sensible.

+++

The normal weight gain is supposed to be 2-4 pounds in the first trimester and a pound a week in the second trimester and about 3/4 pound a week in the last one.

i hope this is right - because if it is then i should just be within the "normal" range! yay! at the end of 1st trimester i had put on 3-4 lbs, now i've just completed week 15 and total weight gain as of this morning was 7-8lbs. i am already classed as overweight, so hope not to put on too much in total - don't want to waste the hard work i put in last year when i lost 2 stone!!!

my eating is the healthiest it's ever been though - apart from a couple of indulgent moments... - so i shouldn't really worry i suppose.

I am amazed that not many women have already read about this.

Blimey. I thought all women were as weight-conscious as me.

After losing a lot of weight in the past, my main concern about being pregnant was how much weight I should put on. I suppose watching my friend balloon to 20 stone didn't help my worries.

I think I have read just about every article in the world on pregnancy weight.

I am pleased that what I have read has now reassured other women about their weight gains.

To be honest I was so worried that I hadn't looked it up! I know you can't diet during pregnancy so I just thought that if I kept being sensible it would be ok and that at the very worst I'll have to be very very strict afterwards. I have eaten so little over the past few years in order to loose weight steadily that I just don't find that I have an idea of when I'm really over doing it or when I'm actually just being normal. One packet of crisps a week and I feel like I've gone crazy! I had chip shop chips twice in on week when I had a craving at about 12 weeks and I felt dreadful about it! At the moment cravings/aversions and heartburn are allowing me to eat heaps of fruit and veggies again so I feel more in control though. I was just in the overweight bit of the BMI chart at the beginning of my pregnancy- 2 more pounds and I would have been normal or whatever which was a bit of an acheivement so you see I don't want to end up undoing all the hard work! I'm walking an hour and a half a day still so hopefully this will help keep it down without actually "dieting"

+++

I had only put on 7lb when I got to 17.5 weeks and then just seemed to rocket the next 8lb on till now so I guess I haven't done too badly. I was shocked when I saw that I had only put on 1/2 stone by 17 odd weeks so it seems normal for it to go on quicker now.

Thanks,

Em xxx

Ah ha, my scales were incorrect. My dads are right and the midwifes was right as well. I have put on a stone in 26 weeks nearly and it seems to be staying there for the moment. I am no longer worried :)

Thanks for all your replies and reassurance.

Em xxxx

Hi

I put on a massive 4 stone with each of my first 2 pregnancies and it just dropped off afterwards. So far i have put on about 1 1/2 stone. i dont think there are right are wrong answers. Every one is different. I know that i am not pigging out and yet i just seem to store all that i eat. The main thing is just to enjoy your pregnancy as much as you can.

I know that at the end of this i am going to look like the purple girl in charlie and the chocolate factory. lol

take care

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back