Weight gain/hunger

kitty2016

Reaction score
Hi all

I know there have been various threads about this already but they all seem to be about losing weight!

I am 22 weeks pregnant now and I have gained 18lbs! I actually lost weight in my first 7 weeks, then put some on slowly. Then in the past 2 weeks I have doubled the gain.
I was normal weight, normal BMI before pregnancy but I feel like a whale already.
Fortunately it's not showing on my face too much but feel it is everywhere else, arms, legs, etc. It doesn't help that my boobs feel humongous :oooo:

I am vegan and I have a very healthy diet, I just can't seem to stop eating. I feel hungry all the time and if I don't eat I feel exhausted. I am taking my vitamins (including B12 for my vegan diet) and not lacking in any nutrients. I have had no problems so far and midwife/gp always state how my health is good.

I am really struggling to adapt and don't want to gain a tonne more weight during my pregnancy. I have been told that my baby is already quite large (nothing to worry about, just long limbs! hubby is 6'4")
could this play a part? Any advice? Please put my mind at rest!!

Thank you xx

Hey! Sorry didn't want to read and run, I don't really know what to suggest to be honest, if you feel like you need to eat, and you are eating healthily then just eat!

With my first pregnancy I put on 2 stone. So far in this one, I have lost weight from morning sickness so I am sure once that has gone I will be back to eating normally and I will gain some weight. I know the feeling, it is horrid when you feel large everywhere because that is how I felt and I feel like it now a bit, as my tummy has started to stick out a little so I feel like I just look fat when of course I am in fact pregnant lol. xx

Snap!

Exactly the same.

I'm mostly vegan but tbh since getting pregnant I've not stuck to it as well as I'd like and I've had eggs a few times (from my own hens) and chocolate recently :oops::samsmum:

I'm the same though, have gained about 18lb already (from 9st 8 to 10st 12lb!) and I'm 22 weeks tomorrow.

I'm always hungry. During the day I don't do too bad, but then I have dinner and snack like crazy afterwards.

My portion sizes are similar to pre pregnancy, but I'm having extra food, like yesterday I had a veggie (vegan) burger and baked beans for dinner with a left over wrap (it needed eating), but then later that evening I had a toasted bagel and some dark chocolate and a banana. :oooo::lol:

Today I had a cup of tea at breakfast then had an early lunch of 2 slices of toast with mushroom pate & some cucumber, at 3pm my daughter wanted something to eat so I made her a sandwich and made myself a slice of bread with peanut butter.
I've also had grapes. So that's not bad, but I'm doing a roast dinner with lots of veg and no doubt I'll end up snacking later.

If it makes u feel any better I was 9 stone before I had my daughter and gained 2 and a half stone. It came off pretty quickly afterwards without me doing anything much, my daughter is nearly 6 months now but ive been back in my own clothes for months. Try to enjoy your pregnancy and don't worry about it too much, but obviously don't go mad either, everything in moderation! X

Lately I'm a lot more hungry... I probably could snack all day happily. I lost over a stone in Tri 1, and haven't put anything back on (visibly anyway, haven't weighed my self). I think tri 3 will see me putting on a fair amount...

Thank goodness! This does make me feel a little better.

And thankyou Phonenix85 - just what I needed. I'm sure you know what it's like to be judged on a vegan diet without being pregnant!! I envisioned that I would be a healthy weight and still look the same so it's just difficult to adapt.
And to make you feel better, I've had about 5 jam doughnuts in the past couple of weeks! Although I'm sure this had nothing to do with the weight gain...:roll:

I started at 8 1/2 stone and now 12 stone with 5 weeks to go! My top half hasnt changed... its on my bump, legs and butt urghh... it will all be worth it xx

Phoenix & Kitty - I'm going on 30 weeks and have had loads of days recently where nothing would make me feel full. I'm a vegetarian, and I sometimes wonder whether my mostly plant-based diet isn't cutting it any more & my body is craving protein more than usual? Put on like 15 lbs so far, with roughly a pound a week recently. :eek:

Thank goodness! This does make me feel a little better.

And thankyou Phonenix85 - just what I needed. I'm sure you know what it's like to be judged on a vegan diet without being pregnant!! I envisioned that I would be a healthy weight and still look the same so it's just difficult to adapt.
And to make you feel better, I've had about 5 jam doughnuts in the past couple of weeks! Although I'm sure this had nothing to do with the weight gain...:roll:

I've gained in this pregnancy too. 1st 8lbs so far and I'm almost 34 weeks. My clothes size hasn't changed and in fact managed to get into a size 8 non maternity dress yesterday. Usually a size 10-12! :eek: Go figure!?

5 doughnuts in a fortnight is nothing! I'd eat 2/3 in one sitting with a cuppa and easily finish the pack before they go stale the next day! Earlier in my pregnancy I was eating ginger cake straight from the packet, half an entire cake at a time. Lovely lol

Baby acts as a parasite and will take everything from you. Alot of the weight will melt away after birth anyway so don't worry too much :) Just enjoy this time, guilt free ;) xXx

I'm hoping breastfeeding will shift it lol. Wouldn't be so bad if it were a winter baby as you can hide the extra baby weight under jumpers til it's gone, but as it's a summer baby there's more pressure to be back to 'normal' lol.

I've had a few donuts recently too lol. And scones!

I have an enormous appetite this pregnancy and struggling to suppress it. My actual meals are balanced, healthy and reasonably sized but it's the snacking. In the 1st tri it was all about carbs and high fat foods. I weaned myself off that but now I just can't stop wanting cake and chocolate, especially when I'm at work. I had a choc brownie at lunch today and am about to have a slice of cheesecake. Baby is going to come out a chocoholic at this rate ;-)

Last edited:
I could NOT stop eating especially in Tri 3 and had a huge craving for sugar . I was 5 stone heavier the day I had the baby �� I'm still 2 1/2 stone heavier now used to be a size 10/12 now 14/16 I bloody wish somebody took all my Jaffa cakes and doughnuts away from me!!!!

I feel fat. last summer I was the lightest I've been in a long time, at my lowest I was down to 7stone 9.

I'm 37 weeks today and hovering around 10stone-10stone 4. I used to prefer savoury food, but I like sweet stuff pretty much obsessively now, in fact calories in general... Love them. I eat my meals & snack and snack and eat junk. Ugh...

I'm also veggie!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back