Weight bearing

Lulu90

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

As some of you know, Luca's had an MRI to check if there is any reason as to why he's developing slowly. We got the results back on Friday and everything is clear (thank god) so every test that has been done, has shown no problems. We had a long appointment with his paediatrician who said her only concern is the fact he doesn't bear any weight on his legs. Not that I expect him to walk now, at 6 months, but I'd have thought he'd be able to stand on me if I stood him on my lap, well his legs just give way. He's going to see a neurologist at great ormond street hospital but I just wanted to ask you ladies if any of your babies, around the 6 month mark, weren't bearing weight? I'm wondering if it could be something to do with the fact he's a very big baby. Oh who knows. He's very strong on them in the jumperoo, although his physio said they aren't recommended as they teach babies to walk on their tip toes. He can bounce himself in his bouncer with his legs and he digs his heels into the floor and pushes up to move himself around the room xx

Last edited:
Try not to worry. My daughter didn't bear any weight on her legs until she was 17 months old. She was very tiny and light. There was absolutely nothing wrong with her, although I freaked out as she would just drag her legs around when crawling! Wouldn't know it now though, she's almost 4 and running and jumping like all her friends. She walked late at 19.5 months old.

Thank you Ella, really appreciate your reply. Did you see anyone about it or was anyone concerned? xx

She was under the care of the paediatrician because of her low birth weight and being premature. The consultant wasn't fussed as she was doing other things (like turning the pages of a book etc), which showed that neurologically she was fine, so she just kept telling us the weight-bearing would come. I remember being concerned when she hadn't sat up unaided at 10 months but again she told us to wait and not worry and by 10.5 months she was sitting up unaided!

Oh well that's reassuring. We've been reassured there's absolutely nothing wrong with his brain. He already says dada and nana which they were super impressed with. This morning he put some weight on his legs but only for about 3 seconds. I'm still classing it as progress haha xx

Alfie loves his jumperoo, but was never interested in standing or bearing weight until 10 1/2 months. He just coming up one now and he's started cruising and standing properly on both feet. The health visitor was happy at his appointment two weeks ago and said it'd only be a concern if he got to about 18 months and still wasn't interested.

Dd2 has just turned one and only started putting weight on her legs and standing supported maybe just over a month ago?? She cruises now but is no where near walking. Again our hv said that is normal.

Thank you for your stories ladies. Since his app I've been doing different exercises with him and just over the weekend and today I can tell what a difference it has made. When I stand him on my lap his legs don't give way, so I'm super happy. Maybe it was just me that needed to put in that extra bit of effort and pay more attention. This baby malarkey is so confusing and stressful at times lol, but I suppose I'll be a pro by the 2nd xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back