Weight and high BMI

Amy0801

Reaction score
Hi ladies
Just wondering if anyone else has gained a lot of weight or has a high BMI? I am 5ft 9 so quite tall and everyone thinks I don't weight as much as I do as I carry it quite well. Before I got pregnant i was a size 14 top and botton and now I am in 14 maternity top and 16 bottom. At my booking in appointment my weight was 90.8kg and BMI was 28.9 but on Friday when I had my check up my weight has gone up to 110.6kg so I have gained 19kg and my BMI is now 35! The midwife wasn't overly concerned but as I am seeing the consultant on tuesday at the hospital they may want to check further as I am hoping for a VBAC as my first was born by emergency c-section. Baby is due in 4 weeks I am just hoping nothing dramatically changes and I can't try for a natural birth xx

I haven't weighed my self since about 20 weeks maybe, but already if out on 14 lbs! My registering BMI was 29.something so I imagine it's not go higher. Personally I think BMI means bugger all as being a dance teacher & dance all my life I have a lot of muscle mainly in my legs but that is heavy that naughty fat, doctors don't really take that into consideration! It would but unfair if they didn't consider you for a VBAC now I think! Make sure you try stand your ground if you really want on xxxx

I didn't think being overweight meant they'd stop you from having a natural birth? That's if you are overweight, as blondeP says, BMI isn't the best indicator! You could be overweight according to BMI, but actually be perfectly lean and healthy. Muscle weights more than fat etc. It all depends on your build. xx

Thanks ladies. I normally don't bother with BMI and all that rubbish but as they say anything over 30 could lead to diebities and I read on the NHS website that anything 35 or over is bad for pre eclampsia?? I not a big build because I am tall but I am over weight for my height. I put 2 stone on with my first daughter and never really lost it. I am normally quite healthy and exercise and I have made it this for without any issues so fingers crossed all will be ok xx

I'd say it's a just a guide and not worry about it too much! They'd generally rather you push them out :) if anything, they might offer you extra monitoring if they are concerned, which is no bad thing! xx

I had a BMI over 35 to start with, haven't bothered to calculate it since. I've been offered aspirin to prevent pre-eclampsia, told I couldn't have a water birth and will have the glucose test for gestational diabetes. That's about it. So they don't seem to bother to much about it if you're otherwise healthy.
They have been a bit concerned about me declining aspirin (gives me gastritis) but not too much.
Like previous posters I consider BMI pretty much bullshit. I'm very short, so I can weigh as little as 46 kg before BMI marks me as underweight. While I'm short, I definitely am not petite and I would be dead at 46 kg. :p

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Thaks ladies. I'm not really concerned about it but the midwife bloody highlighted it in my notes on Friday so tomorrow when I see the consultant they are going to see it straight away :( Fingers crossed all goes ok...I would rather try natural than have another section! Will let you know how kind get on tomorrow xx

I was heavy to start with a high bmi. I use to go the gym in January to try and lose weight but then fell pregnant accidentally but miscarried - decided I really wanted a baby then so got caught 4 weeks later .

I'm 36 weeks this week and have gained a total of 10.5 lbs ! So around 4kg -5kg
Midwife looked at me and said well that's not a lot of weight gain but baby feels right on track and estimated to be 8lb 3 at birth !!!

Everyone is different - I've been of my food the whole pregnancy and can even refuse a biscuit / muffin etc so much more easily then before I was pregannt - it's really weird lol .... But when I am hungry it's Tuna, cheese with or without crackers , chicken and milk and yogurts I like ( all sources of protein or calcium )

I still take my vitamins and try to eat lots of fruit and veg - I'm just not hungry .

I have also had to have the glucose test which I passed - it was horrid and made me really dizzy and faint feeling, consultant for high risk pregnancy discharged me and soda that although I have high bmi ( 36 I think) he is quite happy with progress - I'm also on aspirin for pre eclampsia risk - but hasn't taken it for 4 weeks as I've been really ill with colds/ sinusitis a bad cough- dr queries if I have asthma which aspirin can agrrivate.

But my bp has always been between 105/62 and 115/71 with normal range around 120/70 - so my blood pressure is great :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiara.y2
Back