Weight and feeds

babsi

Reaction score
Went to the paedtrician yesterday and Kai weighed 12lbs 1oz, 3 weeks and 2 days ago he was 10lbs 14oz's. They said it was fine but I was going by him putting on half a pound a week which he isn't doing

He has been having 30oz's every day.

We don't think he can take 6 oz's in one go as we just put him up to 5oz's every feed and he just will be sick, so we are going to try 5 and a half for his last feed and his first feed of the day and then if he can take that fine, 5 and a half for every feed and then go up to 6 oz's every day which will probably be next month as it took a while for him to go up to 5 oz's every feed.

So from today he will be having 31 oz's each day.

What are other babies of a similar age/weight having each day?

Ella is 12lb 3oz and she has 6 x 6oz bottles each day, but she doesnt always finish the bottle usually leaving 1oz, but some of the bottles she will drian, so Id say she has about 33oz a day

Damien is only just on 6oz bottles, and even then he will only take between 4, 5 or maybe 6oz. All babies are different. Damien weighs 11lb 10oz so nearly the same as Kai.

A rough guide to work it out is 150ml-180ml per kilo.

A baby only needs 4oz a day to stay hydrated by the way - so don't panic too much, he will let you know when he is ready for more, if you try to give him moe he wil probably be sick. Try feeding at regular intervals (3 or 4 hourly) and then it will show better what he can take at each sitting (ignoring night time if he sleeps through). Thats how we know properly what Damien can take.

Sorry I waffled on... xxx

Oh, I think Damien only takes about 25-28 oz's altogether in one day, he is sick alot though, or sometimes will refuse a bottle. He has 5 bottles a day, and he has them 4 hourly ish.

Kai always has what is in his bottle and he normally has it really quick, I think he could take more if it was up to him but I know he will just be sick. Kai has his last feed around 1 in the morning and he will wake me up for his next one which for the last 5 days has been between 6.30 and 7. And then it is normally every 4 hours, sometimes it can be 3 hours if we are going out.

I think I am worrying about nothing as they did say at the doctor's that everything is fine.

Aimee is 12lb 8 oz and she takes about 24-26oz a day. She just isn't a hungry baby.

Hiya my baby (Kaiden) is 7 weeks old, he weighs 13lb5oz and is on SMA white for hungrier babies. He takes 7oz per feed and drinks 7 bottles per day = 49oz per day, The most hes taken at one time is 11oz :shock: but thats usually an 3am feed, hungry boy, and we also got told by the HV that hes 2ft2" hes into his 3-6 month baby clothes already xKelx

Phoebe is about 13 and a half pounds now and she is taking about 25oz a day (5, 5oz bottles) but she doesn't drink them all.
She isn't a hungry baby at all. I think drinking her bottle bores her!! She is always looking around etc instead of drinking!!! Takes me ages to feed her :roll:

I wouldn't worry about Kai's weight. It's best not to try and make him drink more. If he is draining all his bottles and crying inbetween feeds then he probably needs more. If he is totally content with what he has then I would leave it at that.

Remember also boys have growth spurts whereas girls gain weight more steadily so maybe he just hasn't had a growth spurt since he was last weighed.

Stupid me :roll: I thought there was only 14 oz's in a pound instead of 16 oz's. So it is ok, I should really trust what the doctor says and everything is fine, I guess that I have to have something to worry about. :roll:

BubbleOne, Kai can have 5oz's in about 5-10 minutes he is very quick even with burping him half way through. We have a routine of changing his nappy before and if he is upset will calm down when his nappy is being changed, put his bib on and then feed him. Normally when he has the bib being put on he is very excited. He sometimes cries after a feed wanting more that is why I want to increase it a little. Just an ounce a day at first see how it goes. He always has his milk that I give him in the bottle since he was born. He probably could have 9oz's in one go but of course he is going to be sick.

I am not going to worry about this anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back