Weaning questions/ideas

Durhamchance

Reaction score
Hi Ladies

Some of you may remember me, I've not been on for several months- just too busy. Has the forum changed/ I'm sure there used to be a section for traditional weaning and BLW?

Anyway, my situation at present is that Blake started weaning at 17 weeks as advised by the HV (weight plateu/ guzzling milk etc) and we went down the traditional route of purees. It was fantastic, he would try everything, gobble down bowlfuls, and even had pudding after meals. Then over the last week or so he has started refusing to eat. I've been getting the button lip treatment and he complains throughout each meal. Firm favourites are even being refused. I have been tricking him into eating by offering his beaker and slipping the spoon in when his mouth is open.
Taking a step back I've realised that food isn't essential at this point and force feeding is the quickest way to a fussy eater!

Last night I bit the bullet and gave BLW a go. I've never been a fan and decided while pregnant that it wasn't something I wanted to try, but it seems Blake is forcing my hand! He tried everything I gave him. This morning I tried to spoon him some porridge and got a telling off, so I made him some toast fingers and he dove in :roll:

So now I need some BLW ideas and quick! Also, is it worth buying the book?

i'd suggest hireing the book form your local library before you buy it, to make sure you would use it enough... or so you can just scan in the recipes you like out of it!

we did a combination of puree's on pre-loaded spoons and solid finger foods/meals, how old is your LO? my DS is just two and he has been eating the same meals as us since about 9 months, as long as your diet is generally balanced and healthy then there is no need to prepare a completely separate meal for your LO. the only things i have ever done in regards to making our meals "baby friendly" is use reduced salt stock/no salt stock and remove my DS's portions of spicy food before i make them really spicy for us adults! though he loves spicy food now!!!

just have fun with it, and try out as much as you can, variety is key xx

My lo is doing blw. I just literally give her everything we have. But just watch the salt sugar etc...

For eg today:

B: fruit loaf, weetabix and apple
L: cheese sandwich and carrot sticks in cheese chive dip
D: fish pie and veggies.

We never gave purees and waited till 5.5mo though so not sure if you would need to "wean" them into blw? I have the gill rapley book which has been great!

I joined the local library to do just that Spice, but they don't seem to have many baby books at all!

I've been having a good look on the BLW website and forum, and have some ideas (really need to go shopping now!) But I'm struggling with how I'm supposed to give him cereal/porridge/weetabix? he will not use a spoon and will not let me near him with a spoon either. Could I try softening a weetabix with a little milk and giving it as finger food?

What does everyone else do?

You can get the book quite cheaply second hand but it's probably something you read more as research.

We give James everything, have been doing so since 6m.

Just a few ideas:

Yesterday:

B: Weetabix, apple segments, melon
L: cheese and tomato sandwich (just one slice bread halved), some mini sweet-corns, melon, prunes
D: Chicken breast, pasta, broccoli, carrot, sugarsnap peas, yoghurt

Today:

B: humus on toast
L: chicken strips with salsa and 2 mini pittas plus a few baby crisps and some prunes
D: omelette, melon slices and yoghurt.

I basically just portion of a bit of what we have for dinner and James will have that the next day for either lunch or dinner.

When I make pasta / potatoes I pop a few portions aside in little containers for James.

M&S do baby sized veggie bags (you get 2 for £1.30) and they just go in the microwave.

I portion off any meat we have for James as well...

Tomorrow he'll have:

B: Porridge and fruit
L: bagel and cream cheese
D: Spag bol with salad (peppers, cucumber, tomatoes)

xxxxxxxx

Last edited:
I joined the local library to do just that Spice, but they don't seem to have many baby books at all!

I've been having a good look on the BLW website and forum, and have some ideas (really need to go shopping now!) But I'm struggling with how I'm supposed to give him cereal/porridge/weetabix? he will not use a spoon and will not let me near him with a spoon either. Could I try softening a weetabix with a little milk and giving it as finger food?

What does everyone else do?

You can just pop a dollop of it on his highchair and let him pick it up!

Just don't make it too watery

xxx

thanks Nat, I'll give that a go.

I'm just jotting down some meal ideas now, it's made me realise how un-varied our diet is! I just have toast for breakfast every morning normally- Blake will soon get bored with that!

I did him some sweet potato wedges last night, but found I had to have them too or the rest of the potato would be wasted. I guess I'll get the hang of it soon.

thanks Nat, I'll give that a go.

I'm just jotting down some meal ideas now, it's made me realise how un-varied our diet is! I just have toast for breakfast every morning normally- Blake will soon get bored with that!

I did him some sweet potato wedges last night, but found I had to have them too or the rest of the potato would be wasted. I guess I'll get the hang of it soon.

You can put anything on toast though??? So it can be quite varied.

The advice is to use white bread, unsalted butter and for them not to have too much bread (due to salt content)

Porridge and cereal is easy too.

With regards to waste, I just keep anything James doesn't eat for the next day / meal. As they can't have their food too hot anyway they won't complain if their sweet potato wedges are from the fridge?

xxxxx

Well, I've been shopping, we got

Fruit bread, crumpets, rice cakes, fruit, veg, cream cheese, unsalted butter, mild cheese, organix corn rings and cheese & chive puffs and heinz biscotti :)

I've had a flick through my annabel karmel book and found mini meatballs in the back and have just made a batch up with lamb mince as daddy is having shepherds pie for tea. Blake can have the meatballs with mash and carrot sticks!

I'm starting to get the hang of this now, it's quite fun really.

Oooh whats the lamb meatball recipe??

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

They sound yummy will have to give them a try. Thanks x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

DC! Haven't seen you around for ages!! How's everything going?

I'm actually having a similar thing with my lo so this thread is perfect! I've just started weaning and she seems to enjoy finger food much more than purées!
Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back