weaning off of a dummy

Discussion in 'Ask a Mum!' started by DaisyDoo, Jul 26, 2013.

1. DaisyDoo

DaisyDoo Well-Known Member

how exactly do you do this with a baby? my other daughter was almost 3 when she gave hers to the fairys, but eva is only 4mths old so cant do that!
    shes never been a great sleeper but shes even worse now shes reliant on a dummy, im up every time the thing falls put and quite frankly im knackered and had enough!
    how did any of you manage it?

2. MrsT2011

MrsT2011 Well-Known Member

I just went cold turkey at 6 months. Was never a problem as B didn't seem to miss it x

3. l_maclean

l_maclean Well-Known Member

Before removing a dummy prior to 6months, consider that this can affect breathing and may possibly increase SIDS risk.

4. Zazu

Zazu Well-Known Member

I also read that once they have a dummy u shouldn't take it away in the early days as it increases the risk of SIDS x

5. claire671

claire671 Well-Known Member

When Michael was around 6 months I just stopped completely. He'd had a cold so was unable to use it anyway and took the opportunity to stop then. I know it sounds daft but I find classical music can be really soothing and works for my wee man now if he's particularly restless x

6. megsmeadow

megsmeadow Well-Known Member

We've only just got rid of the dummy on my ds third birthday so I'm afraid I can't help much. I can remember those chaotic moments of searching around a cot in the middle of the night trying to find the dummy. I'd say cold turkey when they are so young but leave it until the SIDS risk drops. Good luck!!