Weaning off dummy

candymycandy

Reaction score
My lo is 13m. He's had a dummy since he was a few days old (introduced for comfort as he was in special care at birth and I couldn't breast feed him for a few days). He only has it for naps and night time sleep but now want to wean him off. My plan is to do it gradually by taking it away at day naps for a week perhaps, then take it away altogether after that. He goes to nursery 1 day a week so concerned he'll struggle without it there for naps so planning on starting it the day after in the hope he'll be over it in a week in time for his next nursery day! Just wondering what everyone else did and if my plan sounds reasonable?! Thanks x

Following cus I want to get my 21 month old off his!

I don't have experience of this just yet but I think there are a couple of options:
-take it away completely so he's not confused with having it sometimes then not at all
-gradually take it away during nap then at night like you say
-substitute dummy for another comforter that's not as frowned upon health wise (my baby, if he is tired and as long as he has his muslin to hold he would be alright)

I personally when the time comes will ditch it completely so there's no variables and it's completely consistent. The positive thing is that a young child is less likely to remember the upset for too long.

Be prepared for a week or so of them being unsettled.

Let us know how you get on. Xxxx

Thanks selina, it's a tricky one, maybe trial and error! He has a bunny he won't go to sleep without and chews his ears if by chance he spits his dummy out so hoping that will be a good substitute. You're right though it may be a case of being consistent and going cold turkey... The horror! xx

I click thanks as a 'like' button! Lol!!!

Yeah it's gonna be tough but at least bunny is there to save the day (hopefully)!! :)
X

My cousins little one was obsessed with his dummy and she wanted to have him off it so when they came back from their summer holiday she stopped giving him completely. When he was asking why she said that mummy had forgotten it on the plane and that the dummy was going to stay on the plane for the other little babies because no he's a big boy. He has never once questioned this and completely accepted the fact that he doesn't need his dummy.

Other people I know have used the Christmas tree - get LO to collect up all his dummies and tie them to the tree together for Santa to take to all the other little boys and girls who need them.

Maybe you could use going to nursery as that you're a big boy/girl now and make a little event of it? Like the dummy fairy etc?

Thanks monkey, I think he's maybe a bit too young to understand that at the mo? xx

Oh sorry!!! I just re read your post and saw his age!!! Was doing a night feed at the time must have been half asleep!!!

My little man is 18 months now, we took his dummy away at Christmas.
Literally, just stopped giving it to him - no explanation or long winded story.
He cried for perhaps 20 mins the first night time without it, but that only lasted 2 nights. I doubt he even remembers having one now! It wasn't the nightmare I thought it would be, but i'd suggest doing it before they get too old and can put up a fight. x

Your better off doing it younger or when they understand more.
My dd was 3.5 and we put it on the Xmas tree she got a small peppa pig fairy as a reward and no issues at all

We're actually doing this at the moment. Elara(18 months old) only ever had her dummy for naps or bedtime. But last week we took it off her completely. The first couple of days and nights weren't too bad because she was so worn out. But yesterday she would not nap at all. Wouldn't even cry to sleep. But at night she slept quick. I'm finding it hard and feel guilty even though I know it's for the best.
I've heard for some it's easy. And they get over it quick. Sadly for Elara it's not the case.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back