Weaning early- 3 1/2 months?

Rosebay

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm probably going to brave discussing this with my rubbish HVs on Monday but I want the opinion of sensible people first! Elliott is 14 weeks and he's about 20lbs! He has been on SMA white for hungrier babies since about week 4 when he was draining 34 oz of Gold and asking for more. The shift to white slowed his intake down a lot so he's really been at about 28oz since about 12 weeks when I have increased it to 33oz in total. Previously my HV took his frequent pooing on SMA Gold to be a sign that he didn't need the amount he was taking so I don't know if it is relevant but he has gone down to pooing every day and a half. He's really interested in us eating and has been for weeks- even grabbing my spoon etc and the last few days he has been waking earlier than normal.

I think he is getting more hungry again so should I just increase his milk intake to maybe 8oz 3 times a day and 7oz twice a day or is it time to think about starting to wean him? I read somewhere that not weaning them when they're really ready can be damaging too so I'm really not sure what to do here. My HVs advise us weaning at 4 months which is only 3 weeks away but should I string it out just that little bit longer or is there little point?

Thanks in advance for your opinions!
+++

Hi

I asked my HV about weaning Isaac because he drinks up to 4 9oz bottles a day but she said no foods till 6 months. It used to be 3 months then 4 months but now its 6 months before weaning.

But you know what HV's are like, they all say something diferent. If I were you I would ask for the medical facts on weaning and not her personal opinion. (but of course do it politely) :wink:

Lou :)

personally, I will be waiting till at least 4 months...I weaned Mason at 4 months, as was the advice back then. I would increase milk till 4 months just to be on the safe side.

Wow what a big baby how heavy was he born? Abi is 24 weeks and 13lb 7 lol.

I would up the milk and not start solids until 4 months as the system is to immature and can cause allergies, i know it's only 3 weeks but it's a long time in the development of the system.

I started Abi at 4 1/2 months although the mw wasn't too happy but the dr told me it's rubbish all this 6 month talk now,

My hv in Oz said the reason they say 6 months is because babies in 3rd world countries were dieing because at 4 months the mothers would wean them and there was some disease in the water that the bubs bodies couldnt deal with and they were dieing, so now they say 6 months so people don't think they have to wean at 4 months.

Sorry about the babble lol but you should get what i'm saying lol

I would wean at 4 months all the box of rusks etc state from 4 months onwards, I dont think Matthew will last until 6 months, he's not a big Milk baby and takes only 4oz approx 6 times a day but is still gaining well and at 7 weeks weighs approx 12lbs he was 9lb oz when born. I think he will be wanting feeding by 4 months he always stares at us when we eat!

Hi,

thanks for your thoughts! He was 7lb 12 when born so he has grown a lot! Apparently my brother was the same as was my OH and his two sisters and none of them has turned out obese as adults even though my Mum was warned about my brother's weight gain! (He is as skinny as a whippet now unlike me who was a skinny baby!)

Last night Elliott woke at 4am, 5am and 6am :eek: he dropped his night feed at 8 weeks and has been sleeping from 11.30pm-7am for the last three weeks so I'm a bit miffed as I've also had to move back to the nursery floor and it feels a bit like going backwards. I also don't want to end up giving him stupid amounts of milk but I'll see how it goes on offering him 8oz bottles today. I have read that when they're draining 5 8oz bottles a day then it's time to wean so with any luck the three weeks will be up by then.

Our HVs said that the 6 months thing was because that's what the UN advises now, as you say Manda, because of the third world.

Ta ladies!
+++

i know how you feel Abi was sleeping from 11pm till 10.30am from 10 weeks (a week afetr we got to uk) we returned 2 weeks ago to oz and she's waking up at least twice in the night now :( if you do decide to wean him before 4 months just stick to baby rice don't give him any fruit or veg as the rice is gentler on theit stomach and isless likely to cause allergies.

Manda x

Last night Brody woke at 12, 2, 4, 6, 8 aaaaaarghhhh!

I started giveing Ewan baby rice at 3.5months as he was on the boob every 1.5 -2hrs. (v tiring ) the amount he had a t first didn't make any difference and only gave it at lunch time so it gave enough time to see if he had a reaction to it like wind etc. i gradually increased the amount and 4 weeks later i introduced rusks as his break fast starting with 1/4 then 1/2 then one rusk.
Take it slowly and just see what happens - ewan is fine and now on three meal a day. if it doesn't agree with him you can alweays try later

urchin said:
Last night Brody woke at 12, 2, 4, 6, 8 aaaaaarghhhh!
My symapathies Urchin, my little ladam wke at 12, 3, 5, 7 and so on til I gave up. I look like the walking dead this morning :(

woo hoo! Ewan went 12 hours last night!! boobs like boulders this AM!!

I'm sure Minikins weaned Dom at 3.5 months as she was bf and didn't have enough milk for hum - he had no adverse affects from it.

It's personal choice really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back