Weaning - clamping her mouth shut!

T84

Reaction score
Day 5 of weaning and my strong willed lg is still clamping her mouth shut! I don't remember this with dd1 although she was a terrible weaner in her own ways! I've tried putting a spoon in her hand, putting some food on her lips and giving her a chew toy then shoving it in.

Anybody had this happen and what brought on success?!

My lo was terrible as well and wouldn't accept a spoon at all, I don't honestly think he was ready. I ended up just giving him finger food and eventually he started eating but it took weeks xx

By the sound of it, your lo isn't ready. I'd offer little sticks of soft cheese or something easy to grab and easy to chew but if they're not ready, they're not ready :)

I started weaning my eldest at 6 months and she basically did exactly what your lo is doing with purees until she was around 10 months. Although we all know the drill that food before 1 is fun, I can completley relate to how annoying it is. I found one day when i was a couple of weeks into it, i gave her a floret of steamed brocolli as i was too peed off to mush it and she picked it up and wolfed it down. So i just did finger food and from 10 months she was more receptive to being offered things like porridge.

My lg loves her food! She started weaning early unfortunately because she was just so hungry. I found in regards to jarred foods she will take it off the spoon then gag until she brings it back up... so i went and purchased loads of little tubs and i make up different veg mixtures and puree them... if we are having roast dinner or something i add some of the meat into it also and oh my days she is like a different baby! She loves them!

I found in regards to baby rice the little fruit baby rice pots cow & gate do are amazing she loves the mango, banana and apple one the most! :)

Really useful thread- thanks ladies! Also trying to wean my 6 mo and haven't quite got into the rhythm of it yet. I ebf and am hoping so badly that giving him solids might release me from duty a bit!

My little lady adores her food. She will tell me when she wants food and is in a good routine. I introduced lunch first with fruit baby rice, then dinner is fresh blended veggies that i freeze and defrost each morning. Once she is comfortable with both of those for a while i will introduce breakfast, as standard she has her milk and goes back to sleep until dinner so she is happy with that at the moment.

Hi ladies just an update, we're getting there with perseverance! Some days take more coaxing and sitting waiting on an open mouth than others but she's defo slowly but surely getting the hang of it!

Try baby led weaning, sounds like she doesn't want someone else feeding her.

This exact same thing happened to us. We did baby led weaning and my boy has a great appetite. I'm convinced it would have gone horribly wrong for us if I'd carried on and persisted. Good luck xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back