weaning and sore boobs

BunnyN

Reaction score
Has anyone else had sore boobs when their LO started on solids?. LO started on solid food a couple of weeks ago and she is crazy about it! She downs whatever we give her and asks for more. We are doing something like BLW, but not following it to the letter. I always believed in letting the baby regulate how much they eat but have acctually had to stop feeding her as much as she wants because it's a bit much on her tummy. Anyway my poor boobs don't know what's hit them! She had a two hr nap this afternoon which is very rare for her. I Should have been delighted but started getting so uncomfortable I found myself hovering around her cot waiting for her to wake up and feed, lol.

Last edited:
Yep, thats when i created my little freezer stash :)

LOL yeh, I have just started expressing some for the freezer too. I didn't want to experss thisafternoon because usually when she has a long nap she wakes up starving but as it was she just had a quick feed and didn't empty my breasts. She is happy to comfort suck for ages, which just gets me producing more milk, but she isn't drinking it!

My son is a food monster too, he literally wants everything i eat! Or anyone near him eats. My boobs have now shrunk too:( boo

LO is very good tempered, she never cries when you take toys away from her etc, but try and take her food away... I wanted to give her only two meals a day and no solids at night because she gets a gassy tummy after solids and wakes up in the night but we've had to give in because no one in the house can eat anything in front of her without her eating too. It's even tricky to eat behind her back because she knows what cutlery on a plate and chewing noises sound like. Anyway glad I'm not the only one with a food monster. Last night when I was cleaning up after dinner and she was still in the highchair she had a complete fit and we couldn't work out what was wrong, I thought she had hurt herself, until we realized she could see some mango left on the table and wanted it. I keep reading posts about how to get a baby to eat more and have several friends with babies who are a year old worried they don't eat much solid food. I was beginning to feel like the odd one out!

Out of curiosity how did you start weaning? LO knew she wanted to try food from about 4 months so I was tempted to start weaning early but we battled it out waiting until 6 months, except that she managed to swipe food off me a couple of times and get a taste of it which made her know she wanted more. Are you doing BLW or TW? We are doing some thing in between but more towards BLW. I think BLW helps build enthusiasm for food too but in all honesty I think 90% of it is just her and nothing I've done.

We are doing a mix. Both my boys were weaned at 5,5 months by attacking my food.
My youngest would scream until i picked him up whilst i was eating a nectarine and then just literally launched himself at my nectarine.
My eldest loves his food too. I consider myself lucky as i wouldnt want a picky eater!

Sounds like we have had a similar experience. LO did the launch at the food thing too. First time was with a bowl of lettuce, which she couldn't eat but it wasn't going to stop her trying, then she got some cheese off me and that tasted amazing! We have to be really careful to keep hot food out of reach. It was hard work waiting until 6 and really she started having little bits before that but we waited 6 months before we let her loose. The only reason we waited was because she has always had a bit of a sensitive tummy so I wanted to give her plenty of time for her tummy to be ready for solids. She was always very into the boob too mind you. I never had had problems with supply but I have a slow letdown so she has to work for it. Solid food she can cram in as fast as she can, plus it tastes so good!

Last edited:
Its amazing how much they can pack away, isnt it? Yes i was holding off as long as i could as there is a history of asthma and allergies in DH's family. Can defo relate re milk monster too. He just loves food. His brother is between the last 2 centiles for weight and i think he is heading that way, too.
Sometimes i feel like i.have 2 hungry caterpillars. The cost of my shopping has doubled as i try to buy organic now if i can.
My eldest can have 2 or 3 weetabix, rice krispies, corn flakes and then chase it down with a banana or toast lol(thats one breakfast)

Is that last the centiles as in the lower end of the scale or higher? Our little girl is off the bottom of the chart weight wise. She has always had trouble keeping on weight and I think she really needs her calories. It's hard to believe how she can eat so much and be so small!

We have a lot of allergies and asthma in our family too which made me really determined to EBF until 6 months which we mostly managed but started cheating a bit by letting her have small tastes sometimes a couple of weeks before that so strictly speaking we started weaning about 5.5 months too.

Last edited:
Same here with 5,5 months :)

I meant top 2 centile lines (98th and 99,6th). Youngest currently btw 75th and 91st so a bit leaner lol. They are all so different. Main thing is that they eat a good diet. You never know, maybe she will plump up a bit on solids(although i was told go get my eldest on 3 meals a day so he would stop weight gain). I dont really listen to HV, they mainly spout rubbish.

So far she isn't putting on weight any faster but we'll see. She started off at the top of the chart and fell off the bottom. Which was a worry but we've kind of accepted now that it's just the way she is. She did have tummy issues which were making it worse but thats better now. It is true that they vary a lot and every HV or doctor has a differnt oppinion about what you should be doing. I've learned just to trust my instincts with with these things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back