Weaning advice

mrs_bump

Reaction score
Please help, I am so confused about what to do for weaning?

What do you start with?
What time of day is best to start?
How much do you give?
When do you increase to 2 and them 3 meals?
When do you start decreasing the amount of milk that you are giving?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated xx

Hi there are two types of weaning, traditionally where you spoon feed purées and baby led where baby picks up easy to hold sizes pieces of food and feeds themselves. Have you decided which route to take? There are many opinions on each method and as long as you stick to the rules regarding what baby can eat at what age (gluten, dairy etc) you really won't 'get it wrong'. How old is your LO? I started off offering Harry just one or two spoons of carrot or sweet potato to begin with and I did this after his lunchtime bottle as milk is more important and he screwed his face up to begin with! I did this for a week then introduced something similar at teatime, maybe some apple or pear then another week later something similar at breakfast time. He's now 6 months and I've introduced porridge at breakfast time and included meat, carbs, diary into his other two meals. BLW is completely different and some mums prefer it as it gets baby used to chewing straight away, hopefully someone else can offer you some advice on this? Harry has finger foods now, rice cakes and toast and struggles with chewing as I gave him purées! Regarding reducing milk, I really don't know as my HV advised me to start now as he's 6 months, dropping a bottle every 3 days but I haven't done so far! X

Hi, thanks for that, my little girl is 5 and a half months, I was thinking of doing purees with a few finger foods as well? Xx

That's the same as what we did and to be honest Harry had a bit of everything from last week and he's only 6 months today! I would just offer her some puréed fruit/veg once a day for a week and then increase the amount she's having, she will be around 6 months by then so you can offer a bit of meat etc too. It's a minefield I started Harry at 17 weeks and still have no idea how much he should be having! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back