We have a sperm problem

Discussion in 'Trying to Conceive' started by Dee28, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Dee28

Dee28 Well-Known Member

So hubby and I had GP appointments this morning, we were expecting me to have the problem but low and behold its hubby. His sperm count came back 13.9 million which is ok but 98% abnormal, which clearly is not. Totally devastated and did not expect it as when he called for over the phone results they said no action required!

Anyway, he has to repeat the test to double check it but I am pretty sure it will be the same given i'm good to go and now 11 months later it still hasn't happened for us. Soooo, hubby does take a Zita West male pre-conception supplement but does anyone else have any suggestions, feedback, good results from taking anything else that we can try? Thanks xx

2. jojo3972

jojo3972 Well-Known Member

I have dan taking maca and zinc which are both gd for making dodgy sperm gd again but I'm not sure if its just to multiply sperm or for mobility etc aswel a google will give u answers to that one but also heard well man and fertiliad are both gd for sperm too, I'm so sorry it's came bk like that after them saying no action taken aswel stupid bloody idiots xxx

3. T84

T84 Well-Known Member

So sorry dee, hope its something they can help you with. Not sure about suggestions or anything but keeping everything crossed hon. I get my 21 day bloods back tomorrow... Sooooo scared :-( x x

4. mrs nel

mrs nel Well-Known Member

Morning dee,
    So sorry to hear about your results hun. Fingers crossed the gp can offer some help. We are also waiting for hubby's sperm sample results but won't get them until our consultant appointment in 6 weeks.

Lynne
    Xx

5. scn

scn Well-Known Member

Aww Dee, I'm sorry they found a problem with your DH. Don't have any advice sorry :hugs:

6. Dee28

Dee28 Well-Known Member

He's got a second test booked next Thursday but in my heart I know the result will be the same. I've been looking at the cost of private IVF and I just don't think my hubby will want it enough to go down that road, I am truly devastated xx

7. Cazza

Cazza Well-Known Member

Oh that's rotten that they told you no further action.........

Hopefully your OH will come round x

8. naomip

naomip Well-Known Member

Oh no hun I'm so sorry. Only going from what I've read I believe sperm can be improved by vitamins, especially zinc and by cutting down on smoking and drinking. Can the doctors give you any advice? Can you not get IVF on the NHS? Or go abroad for a cheaper option? How is hubby? Hope you're both ok? X

9. Blanco

Blanco Well-Known Member

You have. Very new and fresh answer to alot of your questions and that goes for hubby too.... Maybe once it sunk in he will be up for going that route???? I am sorry to hear this please remember it can still happen x

10. Dee28

Dee28 Well-Known Member

Hubby already take male preconception vits but zita west do a booster supplement for men with problems so will get them. We've cut down drinking massively, he doesn't smoke and has said he'll give up caffeine as that has shown to be bad for men...other than that not much we can do, it's been such a shock. I'm going to try Nd get him to have acupuncture although he's not keen. He's got the repeat test next week. Private IVF is so expensive I just don't know...he won't talk about it til after the repeat test, feel like I've fallen into a hole xx

11. coz78

coz78 Well-Known Member

Aww hun, I get the same sort of reaction from my dh about going private. I've done lots of searches on the net about local clinics and I've found one that has a payment scheme. I've saved the website page so when he's ready to talk I've got somethings we can discuss but at the moment he doesn't even want me going to the doctors to ask what other tests I can have done as he's sure I'd need to go private for them to and we can't afford it. Give him some time to get his head round things and use that time to come up with options for to think about when he's ready. There is a ladder to help you climb out of the hole it's just hard to find at the moment xx

12. lisey

lisey Well-Known Member

Sorry you didnt get the results you wanted. He is probably just shocked and upset at the moment, if you give him time he may come round to the idea of ivf. Can you not have ivf from nhs? I know it is super expensive to go private. I started saving a while ago so that we wld have some money ready if it came to that. I'm sure it will all work out x

13. lisey

lisey Well-Known Member

Oh and a little while back some ladies on here said solgar vm75 vits are better and more potent than the regular conception vits x

14. Dee28

Dee28 Well-Known Member

Thanks girls, I'll look at those vits lisey. We have a child already so we won't get NHS funded treatment.

Thanks for advice coz, you also have a child already don't you? So I guess your in a similar treatment position. I wish I knew whether hubby's sperm was the same when I conceived our daughter as it would at least give me hope xx

15. lisey

lisey Well-Known Member

Try and keep hope hun, if you have done it once then you can possibly do it again naturally. I thought you had a child already but I lose track on here sometimes x

16. coz78

coz78 Well-Known Member

Yeah I have 2 but dh has none so I feel a bit guilty. If he'd of married someone with no kids and had the same problem he'd be getting nhs help. Feel like I've messed up his chances. I need to find out if I can other tests (not treatment but diagnostic tests) done on the nhs. We fell in 09 but had mc so I'm thinking the problem is me but I don't want to go behind his back and find out.

It might be possible that your husband has had this problem (if it is a problem and not just a dodgy batch x) all along. As they say it only takes one sperm to meet that egg so there is always hope x

17. Dee28

Dee28 Well-Known Member

My hubby will be rattling when I've finished supplementing him! Would your hubby get a SA coz? It's all so emotive, urgh. I think you would get diagnostic tests funded, just not treatment so its worth seeing your gp as it all takes so bloody long xx

18. jodie34

jodie34 Well-Known Member

Ohh hun im sorry to hear about your results fx it was a dodgy batch , my oh was havin a sa done but wen we went to thw gp for his pack the gp told jim he soesnt see it being him that has a problem as he had fathered our other 2 so now he wont get it done im sooo very mad at the gp it wasnt our own gp bit a locam i could of bloody slapped him xx

19. coz78

coz78 Well-Known Member

My hubby had one done a few months ago and got told the same your hubby did over the phone but mine didn't go and discuss with the doctor. We had an argument the last time I brought up him going to discuss it so I'm reluctant to bring it up again. He's a big burly rugby player and he goes on the offensive if he thinks his masculinity is being attacked and so we have a lot of arguments over how long this is taking and what to do next. He wasn't even going to do a sa because it was easier for him to convince himself the problem was me. When my doctor said my blood test was fine and he needed to get tested he accepted that I was right about us both needing things done. As I kind of need him to make a baby if he decided to drag his heels about things I have no choice but to go at his speed and hope he picks up momentum before my time runs out. I'm 35 this year and he still thinks we've got forever.

20. jodie34

jodie34 Well-Known Member

My hubbys the same thinks the same male pride and all that but it changed a little bit wen my brother came for a visit hes 43 and got a couple of kids to his ex qifw hes met the love of his life ans they want a child of his own but know hes going to have problems as only one of his testicles is attached he was very open about this to my hubby and told himbhe was takin zinc and some other vitamins , that night hubby asked me to get h some so i have but thats as far as ive got with him i keep sayin if he has it done thats all hes got to do just one simple test but nope he wont and i think hes a selfish git for not doing it i blame the stooopid gp xz