Waters?

Rachel80

Reaction score
I saw my midwife yesterday & she freaked me out a bit. She said be mindful of your waters breaking because just because you're only 25 weeks doesn't mean your waters can't break & this could cause infection for the baby. But she said it wouldn't be much water at this stage maybe 200-300ml - so I said to her how would I know? & she just said 'you'll know' & ushered me out the door!

Now a week or so ago I was on the train to work, it was hot & I didn't have a seat - anyway as I got off the train I felt really wet down there, I was a bit concerned but in the end just put it down to being hot sweaty, I had thick tights on & it was a packed hot train. Anyway when I got to work my knickers & tights were wet, but not soaking & I certainly hadn't wet myself! Now I'm wondering, what if it was my waters? Would I know? Would bubs be ok without them or would I go into labour? Would I need to lose my plug in order for my waters to go? These may be ridiculous questions but she worried me a bit! Can a baby survive with no waters? x

If you're really concerned hun, I'd call your MW.
It is highly frustrating when they say stuff like that and leave you hanging!

My midwife is shite, she was literally holding the door open for me to leave whilst I was still sitting down asking 'but how will I know?' & all she said was 'you'll know' - but will I????x

It was probably cervical mucous or discharge it can increase in the hot weather. I don't think it was a good idea for her to just pass that comment and leave you hanging. Your waters could go at that gestation but it is very rare. A baby can stay in if your fluid is low or gone but they give antibiotics. She should on discuss that with you if you have high risk of it happening. Waters can gush or trickle so you wouldn't necessarily know.

Thank you, yeah it's annoyed me. It's only the second time I've seen her in 25 weeks & it's not as if I've asked her hardly anything or bothered her. I always find out what I need to know myself. I even had to ask about the whooping cough jab because she's never mentioned it & I know I need to have it. I'd know nothing if it weren't for books, google, this forum & my mil! I don't think I'll go to my next appt, I'll stick with my consultant!x

I've had several rubbish MWs, but when I moved I got a really nice 1, saw her twice and at the 3rd appointment I went for I discovered she'd refired out of nowhere!! Now I'm stuck with 1 of the horrible 1s I saw before that I really don't trust. Hoping my girly gets here before my next appointment thursday lol she didn't even want to catch up on my notes and her response to me to me asking if she wanted my urine sample was "oh, where did you get a pot from?! I'll test as you've done it!" and last time I saw her she didn't do it at all.
I would suggest as you've got appointments more often towards the end, you do someethig about it now. You're totally within your rights to ask for a new MW. You need to feel you can trust and talk to your MW and you obviously don't and it may be that she's already had complaints! And if you're really unsure of anything and can't get hold of your MW, call your mat. Unit and ask someone there, if they feel the need to check you out they'll call you in. It's what they're there and paid for, so use them!!

There must be other midwives available, even if you have to change doctors. Sounds like it might be worth changing. You don't need someone like that xxx

I don't know for sure, but you would probably know. If it were a trickle it would continue. So test by putting fresh knickers on or pads. You can supposedly smell the difference between waters and anything else. It's supposed to smell like sperm.

----------------
baby giz born 6th Feb 2011
next one due 12th Aug 2013

It's more a case of it either "gushes" out in 1 hit, in which case, yes you'd know about it as there would be fluid everywhere and everything would be soaked. But if it's a "hind waters" leak it'll trickle out here and there as baby moves around and will be easily soaked up by a pad, so you'd be able to keep check on it. The MW that did my antenatal class said it smells sweet, so you'd know the difference between that and anything else.
If you're still not convinced then I really think you should call your maternity unit and talk to a MW there, they might just say to go in so they can check you out. At least then you'll know for sure and you won't carry on worrying. If it was your waters, the sooner you get it checked the sooner they can do something.

Thanks girls, this wet incident was several weeks ago so I'm assuming as everything seems normal since then it wasn't waters. Presume I would've gone into labour? Tbh I can't be bothered to change midwives, this is the second time I've seen her & she seems irrelevant, she's not been of any help really but I've also found I don't need her. If I'm worried ill call the epu or my consultant. I just don't know how they get off with being so shite, guess its the sign of the times in the NHS!x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back