:( waterbirth

TORino

Reaction score
I've just been to the antenatal class and tour of the hospital and the midwife mentioned there being a weight restriction on using the birthing pool.

I asked what it was and she said a BMI of 30.

I've just checked mine and cos I've put a stack of weight on during pregnancy mine is 31. It was 25 before my pregnancy.

I am so pissed about this you wouldn't believe. I am mostly fit, low risk and have had a relatively uncomplicated pregnancy and I was really looking forward to possibly using the pool. I feel like its all been snatched away now :(

Health and safety apparently.

I'm gutted :(

That is crazy!! U would think it would just be a certain weight at full term or something. BMI is different weights - someone of 4ft 6 would have a different BMI to someone of 5ft 10 even though they weight exactly the same!! xx

It should only be your BMI at the beginning of pregnancy that they go by hun!! I have had women in the pool that have higher BMI's than 31, I had a BMI of 31 when I fell pregnant and will still be having a pool birth if all goes to plan.

Your area is pretty rubbish for care by the sounds of it - I would ask your midwife if they use your pre pregnancy BMI (BMI doesn't really count when your pregnant because the majority of pregnant women would be seen as overweight or obese because of the extra weight of the baby/fluid etc) and you can also say to them that you want to use the pool, so you will. It is your choice what you want to do. You need to feel as relaxed as possible. The more anxious you are the more tense you will feel and the harder it will be for your body to progress - if you want to use the pool, they can't legally stop you xxx

That sucks honey but I would double check too.

I will be doule checkign this with my midwife on my appointment as I would really like a water birth if possible...

It should only be your BMI at the beginning of pregnancy that they go by hun!! I have had women in the pool that have higher BMI's than 31, I had a BMI of 31 when I fell pregnant and will still be having a pool birth if all goes to plan.

Your area is pretty rubbish for care by the sounds of it - I would ask your midwife if they use your pre pregnancy BMI (BMI doesn't really count when your pregnant because the majority of pregnant women would be seen as overweight or obese because of the extra weight of the baby/fluid etc) and you can also say to them that you want to use the pool, so you will. It is your choice what you want to do. You need to feel as relaxed as possible. The more anxious you are the more tense you will feel and the harder it will be for your body to progress - if you want to use the pool, they can't legally stop you xxx

Oh I so so hope that this is the case.

My area is rather rubbish yes. I asked today if she would check where the baby was and she said no because it will move again before 36 weeks so there is no point.

I feel like pulling my hair out at times.

Where in the north east are you?
I'm in Northumberland and never heard of that before. What hospital are you looking to go to? Xx

I live in middlesbrough.

I'll be going to James cook university hospital which is literally a stones throw from my house (so I don't really have the option to have the baby anywhere else either)

my bmi was 42 at last calculation so no mlu or pool for me as our area has a cut off of 40 im told, good job im not bothered really

oh dont rule it out hun, id say nothing and just requ3st it when you go in and see what happens, i would imagin like the girls sa6 that its your pre pg bmi,

fx when the time comes you get it xxx

I've never heard of that before!

How would they know your BMI just by looking at you anyway coz surely if your in labour they aren't going to say 'jump on these scales first'. God, seems health and safety gone mad!

If my local hospital do that too them I've no chance of water birth either as I'm defo over 30now! They'd mistake me for a whale in the birthing pool :)

I'd be harpooned!! I must ask about this when I go for my next appt - I will be kicking up a bloody big stink if that's the case.... We got told at my parenting class tonight that we can't take wheatgerm or normal hot water bottles on to the ward as they cannot (for Health and Safety reasons!) fill them up from the kettle or EVEN PUT THEM IN THE MICROWAVE for 2 mins!!!! It's all gone mad...

I'm 5 ft 5 and weigh 15.5 stone. Meaning my BMI is about 36!! And I'm having a water birth. That's complete nonsense.

they will know mine, its written in my notes that it was 40 when i got booked in and has gone to 42 during preg. nice and highlighted along with the anaesthetists sticker that says i had to have a consultation with her due to my weight lol

Thanks ladies. Maybe I have got the wrong end of the stick with this then.

If you were to look at me I don't look overweight, I am tall and big built and have a fair bit of muscle so therefore I am perfectly capable of getting out of the sodding pool in an emergency if that's what the supposed risk is.

Grrrr :(

:hugs: sorry hun, i hope its not the case, they say BMI shouldnt be worked out on a pregnant lady as its not accurate obviously, i would think it would go on your BMI at start of pregnancy.

We had our antenatal class last night too and they were really promoting water births and using the pool, they never said anything about BMI or weight.

my mw actually asked me if id thought about it and if i wanted to have a waterbirth to phone ahead and book the pool, went on about that and the mlu and then seemed to suddenly remember that they have a cut off point on bmi so had basically chatted on for nothing

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back