Waterbirth

Levi89

Reaction score
Hello ladies,

Was just speaking to hubby & I'm pretty settled that I really want a waterbirth. Understandably I know this might not happen and it may need to be a 'normal' birth. I know lots of things could affect it but what exactly does prevent you from being allowed in a birthing pool?

Any help would be appreciated! xxx

Hi there, I had one with my daughter and loved it!
I'm pretty sure that if you need to be induced they don't allow a water birth( not certain though, i'm in NZ and that's the way they do things here). Also pain relief such as epidurals, pethidine etc.... Will also preclude a water birth. Fairly sure they allow you to use gas and air if needed.. But I've never used pain relief in labour do don't quote me on that because I don't know :)
Bottom line, once you're in normal labour, with no complications then there's no reason why you can.t have a water birth. Although even with some complications it isn't ruled out - I developed gestational diabetes with my daughter but still had a completely normal and natural labour and birth experience.
If you have the opportunity to have a water birth - go for it, i found it a wonderful, relaxed and very special experience.

Also depends how u feel, I tried to get in the bath when I was in labour and it made my contractions feel worse!! They put me in a birthing pool room too and oh said just get in but I couldn't as I was worried it would hurt too much!! :/

you can have a water birth if you are low risk and you go into labour naturally when you are full term. I wanted one but I had to be induced so that went right out of the window. One of the girls on my nct class had one but her labour didnt progress well so she needed to have forceps in the end.
Hope that it all goes to plan for ya!!
xxxx

Thanks ladies! I thought they just stopped you going in the pool for the smallest of things! Lol. Here's hoping LO makes an appearance when she is supposed to and I don't need to be induced huh! xxx

Oooo levi my fave topic.
Im hoping for a pool birth as my back is shot with spd n pelvic girdle pain n the thought of being on the bed tossing n turning n being shifted onto all fours etc brings a tear to my eye!!
So praying all is ok.

But things which would stop you include:

**Waters having maconium in (black)
**Being induced with syntcocinon (sp) - if you are induced with prostoglandin u can still use the pool
**If you require any other pain relief apart from gas n air. Epidural, pethadine n diamorphine have to be done on the bed.

You can however get in the pool for 4 hours maximum even with black in waters...just for relaxation - but cannot deliver in the pool. So uncertain as if I dnt go into labour before 5th, Ill have to be induced.

Hope this is some good to u hun xxx

I want a waterbirth too - but my hospital only has one birth pool so doubt I will be lucky :(

I wanted a waterbirth very badly, I could have one as things were going well, but they didn't let me go in the pool for hours after I arrived at the hospital. Once I got in it was lovely, I would definitely recommend it.

I had to get out quite soon though, as the baby was back to back and I was screaming for either an epidural or mercy killing - their choice, LOL!

I asked to go in the pool after being induced with prosto, as I'd found having a bath really helped me through my contractions the night before, and they said as long as my waters were clear I could, unfortunately they weren't and I wasn't allowed at all xx

i'd have loved a waterbirth :( Unfortunatley the nearest hospital to me that allows them is in Belfast .

Thanks ladies :) I really do hope that I can have one just because I practically live in the bath lol xxx

i want a water birth too i tried with my first but got very light headed and i had to come out of the bath. i just hope i get into the water birth as there is only 1 near me thats it x

i really wanted a water birth but couldn't cos i had strep b so needed iv antibiotics every 4 hours. Was allowed in a deep bath though and glad i got in cos that's where my waters broke so no mess! Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiara.y2
Back