Water????????

fayebalina

Reaction score
I know all the books, leaflets and m/w say that when breast feeding you dont need to give water but im sure my lil man is just thirsty sometimes, and hes already had the foremilk?
Just wondering if anyone gives their baby water aswell as breastmilk>?

i dint breast feed, but i always gave Dior A BOTTLE OF WATER BETWEEN FEEDS, THE THOUGHT OF A BABY BEING THIRSTY AND NOT BEING ABLE TO SAY IS HORRID... BUT THEY DO SAY U DONT NEED TO WITH BREAST FEEDING BUT I STILL THINK IT WOULD BE NICE AND REFRESHING FOR THEM :)

Yea thats what i was thinking!
Ill ask my hv, but i dont know if i like her that much! She always seems a bit too busy, i miss my mw!
So how do i do the water thing?
do i need to boil it then let it cool?
It cant do any harm can it?

no wont do any harm atall, its good if baby is wanting feeds to often to as a bottle of water will keep them happy for a while Dior loved her water, must be nice and refreshing (imagin just drinking milk all day)

just boil kettle put water into bottle leave it to cool down. i used to put it all into a sterilized jug and keep in fridge upto 24hrs and fill up Diors bottle as and when i needed it.

i just used to put about 5oz in let Dior drink what she could

I think it's a load of bull what they say about not giving babies water cos it upsets their levels, what the hell do they think formula is made with, just boil the water and let bubs take what they want, you dont have to throw it away after every drink either you can use the same one for the day.

Do i have to warm the water like i would milk or is it to be given at room temperature?
And my lil boy is only 5 weeks is it still ok?
sorry to ask so many questions......... first time mum alert!

No worries you can either give it warm or at room temp as bubs gets older you can start giving it him chilled :)

I WAS GIVING Dior water from birth, she never had any probs, she loved it, and it was a great way to get her to sleep through the night.... she kept waking for a 2am feed so in the end i was giving her water so she got used to not being feed at the time

They also say try that when your little one has really bad wind or tummy ache

Thanks for all your replies..........Ive tried it, he was a bit unsure at first and pulled some seriously funny faces but he seemed to really enjoy it eventually!
Good idea about during the night!

Sorry I'm going to be the one that upsets the apple cart :(

If your baby wakes in the night for a feed it's because they need it. Please please don't give him water :cry: Your baby isn't waking for the fun of it, he's still developing and needs your milk to help him. Breastmilk does contain everything he needs which is why you don't need to give added water - the reason you add water to formula is because it's powdered and concentrated. If you start giving your baby water instead of the milk he needs then there is a big chance he wont thrive.

Sorry!

didnt realise how young fayebalina baby was so its not a good idea with water instead of milk just yet through the night, but Dior was 3months when i started doing this as i knew by then she didnt need the feeds at night but waking for them any way.. but Dior had water through the day from a couple of days old... i think if baby is breast feed then its a great way to get them used to bottle

i dont think any one knows the right and wrong as my hv told me to give water but then some places on the net say dont. i will be with my 2nd child thou

Dont panic i wasnt going to substitute the milk for water.......he sometimes cries at the end of a feed and still makes the hunger gestures but pulls away from my breast....i think this is when theres only hind milk left and hes thirsty.........ill always try him on the breast if hes due for a feed, but sometimes hes just not happy with that!
hes a stubbern boy lol!

Didn't suggest giving instead of milk but aswell as we dont just eat food all day!

Manda said:
we dont just eat food all day!

I know that, but we aren't growing a cm a week and developing as fast as a baby. A formula fed baby may get thirsty and need the water, a bf doesn't.

Fayebalina just a quick question - Do you feed off of both breasts at each feed?

I found this on google, which corresponds to what midwives advise moms:

Infants need around 1-1/2 ounces of water per pound per day. So, each day a 20-pound baby needs around 30 ounces of fluids, usually in the form of milk. Breastfed babies don't need any extra water, but a small amount of water is necessary for formula-fed infants. In fact, some pediatricians feel that offering excessive water to infants under one year of age may actually be nutritionally unwise because excess water may fill up baby and replace needed calories.

taken from here

Brody is 4 months old and, as advised by my doctor, I have not given him water yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back