Water

Shepherdess

Reaction score
Hi girls

My lg is 8.5 months, breastfed and has 3 meals a day plus the odd snack. Does anyone have any suggestion about how much water she should be drinking? She loves her food and eats loads. Every mealtime she also has a doidy cup with some water but usually only has a few gulps then just messes around with it, she doesn't seem to want to drink more but I worry that she will not be hydrated enough.

Also these days she's breastfed every 4 hours ish, is that okay for her age?

Sorry I'm just a first time worry mummy

Babies wont increase he water in take for a while yet. They are still taking in enough fluid from milk.

Jackson has only now actually started asking for water and sometimes would take it if offered before that he tipped it everywhere.

All sounds fine. As long as you offer water at meal tims baby will be fine and will let you know when they are thirsty and what hey want. Which is usually milk first, water second lol.

Perhaps experiment what she likes better ie cold or room temp. Jackson takes an ice cube in his straw cup.
xxxx

Last edited:
What RM said ^^^ There's loads of water in breastmilk, especially if you've been keeping your fluid levels up :)

I recall breastfed babies don't need tonnes of water until you start whittling down your breastfeeding, if your LO is having a few gulps here and there thats good xx

I think its just any fed babies, Formula is mostly water too .. :oooo: :p

xxxx

Yep, as others have said :)

There's no need to offer water to a breastfed baby if you are still available to breastfeed through out the day (obviously it'd be different if they were at nursery or something).

Kellymom.com suggests offering no more than a couple of ounces with meals.

Personally I didn't start offering additional water til she was over 1 with my last baby, even then she wasn't that bothered. I think she was nearer 2 before she started really drinking anything other than breastmilk. (And then it was diluted fruit juice or plant-based milk in a cup) :)

Oh they used to say that formula fed babies needed water before breastfed babies back when I had sofia because of breastmilk being adjusted from mum ... maybe theyve changed it now xx

I think its just any fed babies, Formula is mostly water too .. :oooo: :p

xxxx

Supposedly it's more important to offer water to formula fed babies once they start solids as it can help with bowel movements (stops them getting constipated etc). But breastfed babies are still best given breastfeeds 'on demand' instead, to keep their fluids up.

Also, not such a big issue now (winter), but in warmer months breastmilk adjusts to be more watery and thirst quenching, where as formula always stays the same as it should always be made up with the same ratio of powder to water, so additional water should be offered to formula fed babies when it's very hot, but breastfed babies don't need additional water, just plenty of breastfeeds :)

Yeah I offer my daughter water in her sippy cup with every meal. She is 7.5 months. Will now drink a few oz with every meal. Think is necessary for her cos she has been dropping milk feeds so I worried she would be dehydrated. She seems pretty clever with it. Will stop to eat and take a few sips then put it down and continue feeding herself before repeating. Think they slowly work out that water quenches thirst and food for hunger etc x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back