water !!

hayels

Reaction score
Do you give your babys a little drink of water health visitor told me to give harry a bit of water in between feeds to help him with constipation. Hes not 5 weeks old till Friday and I stupidly googled it and its says not to give them it till 6 months and it can be bad for them. What do the rest of you do and if you do give water how much do you give. Thanks xxx

Hi I gave my Harry an ounce of water a day from a few weeks old. I think as long as you aren't filling their little tummies with it it's fine, especially in this hot weather x

Another Harry here! :)

He has about an ounce pf water thrpught the day inbetween his feeds x

James got really constipated when I moved from expressing to formula and we started with an oz of water a day from about 8 weeks

xxxxxx

Generally it depends if baby is bf or bottle fed - bottles are always the same consistency so it's a wee bit like only having food, no drinks. Some babies need a little bit more liquid, especially when it's not.

Generally a bf baby doesn't need that cos they can have a short feed and only get fore milk which is like a wee drink.

As long as its just a wee drop he should be fine.

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

Water is another area where advice seems to differ greatly. My MW told me (O was about 2 weeks old) to offer him 2oz throughout the day but not to worry if he doesn't finish it. As the weather has got hotter he's upped his intake...he's now taking 3-5oz per day at 16 weeks. It doesn't affect his feeding either. He's no more or no less hungry.

Thanks girls ill give him a try see how he goes xx

it needs to be cooled boiled water, not just water from a tap (not patronising you, I'm sure you knew) HV advised me from 6 months they can drink tap water so this is maybe what you were reading?

Problems with giving water - can cause diarrhoea (somewhat counter-productive), and can fill their teeny bellys (meaning they don't take as much milk, and so lose out on valuable nutrition).

As long as you stick to little and often, you'll be fine.

I suggested on a thread somewhere yesterday... Use a medicinal syringe (comes with calpol), well cleaned, and squirt water into their cheek (not straight into their mouth so it goes straight down their throat and makes them splutter).

A - You can regulate tiny amounts, so you know they're drinking it, but not gulping loads.
B - minimal mess.
C - Handy for those BFing mummies that wish to give a little water also, but don't yet want to introduce a bottle.

As above, just make sure it's freshly boiled (not water that's already been boiled earlier), and left to cool.
Store this in a bottle or wherever, and syringe some out through the day.

Maybe give a short while after feeding, so you know they've had their fill of milk first xx

Whenever jackson is constipated I give him 2oz of cooled boiled water.

Moves his bowels always within an hour or so. He never got the runs or an upset tummy.

Have done since he was small as he used to over eat and get bunged up so water was the only thing that would help.

I would go what you think is right. :) xxxxx

Problems with giving water - can cause diarrhoea (somewhat counter-productive), and can fill their teeny bellys (meaning they don't take as much milk, and so lose out on valuable nutrition).

As long as you stick to little and often, you'll be fine.

I suggested on a thread somewhere yesterday... Use a medicinal syringe (comes with calpol), well cleaned, and squirt water into their cheek (not straight into their mouth so it goes straight down their throat and makes them splutter).

A - You can regulate tiny amounts, so you know they're drinking it, but not gulping loads.
B - minimal mess.
C - Handy for those BFing mummies that wish to give a little water also, but don't yet want to introduce a bottle.

As above, just make sure it's freshly boiled (not water that's already been boiled earlier), and left to cool.
Store this in a bottle or wherever, and syringe some out through the day.

Maybe give a short while after feeding, so you know they've had their fill of milk first xx
Great advice about the syringe! Spencer refuses to drink water he totally gives me a "you realise you haven't put formula in this eh?" kind of look. But I knew he was getting dehydrated yesterday so I'll be trying this in future!

Great advice about the syringe! Spencer refuses to drink water he totally gives me a "you realise you haven't put formula in this eh?" kind of look. But I knew he was getting dehydrated yesterday so I'll be trying this in future!

My wee man is the same! He takes a few sips, swallows it and then has the confused look! I call it the 'this milk is not milk' look!

I tried putting a drop of baby juice in his water the other day and he just looked like 'wtf is this?!' And not in a good way!

my HV said it is fine especially in this weather but no more than 1oz a day. xxx

Chloe's nearly 7 months now and she has 4 bottles and 3 feeds a day and I offer her water after each feed, she has a bit but iv only just started doing it so she is doing the "yuck what's that" face....hope she gets used to it :-/ x

I didn't realise they can have tap water from 6 months?? What about bottled water?

(I am still giving cooled, boiled water at the moment and I am being quite 'forceful' with getting it in to him - IE using my medicine spoon - as the heat has put him off his food and he is having less milk!)

xxxxxx

I'm honestly not sure , I thought six months was too young for tap water but I suppose she's the expert!

Spencer David Wilcockson 28/2/2013 6lbs 3.5ozs

I don't think I'd trust the tap water yet. I still boil and sterilize everything :shock: haha xxxxx

We used tap water from 6mths! Had no issues.

i *think* bottled spring water isnt reccommend tho because of the added minerals but i may be wrong

Using tapatalk can't see tickers

I've been using tap water for the last month with no issue. You aren't supposed to use bottled water due to sodium content xx

I've been using tap water for the last month with no issue. You aren't supposed to use bottled water due to sodium content xx

Was just about to say the same. It's if it's mineral water, it has too much salt. According to my birth to five book I got from the HV, it says to only boil water for babies under 6 months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back