Water Birth!

WinterWolf

Reaction score
Hi all. After our antenatal class yesterday I’ve become quite interested in the idea of a water birth. I’m a FTM so don’t have any way to compare it to what a “normal” birth would be like. I’m just looking for peoples experiences really (good and bad!). Did you think it was good? Does the water really help with pain? Any down sides you didn’t expect?

I haven't had one but my sister has 4 children; she had a water birth with her 3rd and 4th and she swears by water births. She was shocking with her first 2, she admits herself she wa useless with the pain and just screamed. However after her first water birth she was adamant she was having another for her next baby.

I want to have one this time around; the only thing I will say is be aware that if you're going to the hospital to have your baby the pool may already be in use when you need it or other complications might mean you can't have the water birth so have a back up plan in place as well.

Ah that’s great to hear, thank you! Yes I will definitely have a back up plan.

I’m quite lucky that the hospital I’m going to has a birthing pool in every room (except 2 which are for high risks births so I wouldn’t be in there unless the others were all full anyway). I know mum and bubs both have to have no risk factors or complications to use the water so hopefully we can use it. I’ve had a complication free pregnancy so far, hopefully it doesn’t all go to pot when it’s go time...

Wow that's fantastic.
There's only one at my hospital but I have been told it's an underused commodity so fingers crossed it'll be available for me.

I had a water birth last time and it was lovely. It really helped with the pain and calmed me down. I used a pool noodle under my arms to stay afloat and a pillow on the side of the pool to rest on. I wasn’t allowed gas and air and the water really helped take the edge off.

You can always get out if it’s not for you.

Water births are amazing, I have only seen good things x

I sadly didn't get the pool birth I wanted as all pool rooms were taken, but during early labour I ran a warm bath at home and it was heaven, really helped me to relax etc.
It's definitely worth it if you can, I'm determined to have one next time even if it means staying at home and hiring a pool!
Apparently it's supposed to help prevent tearing also? Not sure if that's entirely true but it definitely helps for a more relaxed and pleasant experience for mother and baby

That's for the insight ladies. So nice to hear only good things about water births. I'm definitely going to give it a go if I can! I've now enrolled in my hospital's water birthing class. :) Hopefully all goes well and I can do it!

I wanted a water birth as I'd heard so many good things about them. I even picked the birth centre based on availability of pools as I didn't want to get there and find there wasn't one available. Sadly I got neither the water birth or the birth centre due to the complications we had so I would say go with an open mind as if there are any issues and you need monitored then the pool is the first thing to go!! If there are no issues I would definitely want to try it. You can always get out of you don't like it.

The midwife made it pretty clear that if there’s any risk/minor complication you’re out of the water straight away, so I’m not going to go into it assuming I’ll be able to give birth in the water. I view it as something only a lucky few actually can do and I hope I’m one of them. :) we’ll see though.

I hope you and your son are doing well x

Oh I really want a water birth this time too! There is one in our hospital since a few months and hope it will not be in use when I get there! I had a natural birth last time without any painkillers or anything. It was quite painful but I was so proud I did it! The OH doesn't want me to do a water birth and told me to just get an epidural if I can't handle the pain. :wall2:

Oh I really want a water birth this time too! There is one in our hospital since a few months and hope it will not be in use when I get there! I had a natural birth last time without any painkillers or anything. It was quite painful but I was so proud I did it! The OH doesn't want me to do a water birth and told me to just get an epidural if I can't handle the pain. :wall2:

If you want a water birth then go for it! I don’t think your OH should have much say in the matter as he’s not the one giving birth lol.

Last edited:
If you want a water birth then go for it! I don’t think your OH should have much say in the matter as he’s not the one giving birth lol.
I know that's what I told him! He just wants me to give birth in a hospital. I really don't want to give birth in a hospital this time since I really hated it last time! But the midwives who followed my pregnancy last time have a whole new section for their mummies, so I told the OH I am ok with a hospital birth but it will be a water birth. Honestly when the time comes, he will have nothing to say anyways!:lol:

You're giving birth not him so you're in charge lol!!

I didn't want a hospital birth but it was out of my hands in the end but I still wouldn't choose a hospital birth unless there was a medical reason for doing so. I had an epidural which I didn't plan to have but I had it for the right reasons. Of course it did then lead to a bunch of other interventions that I'd have rather avoided but again much of it was out of my control. I think I'm accepting of the situation as I needed it but I certainly wouldn't have chosen it and still wouldn't for a subsequent uncomplicated pregnancy.

I guess I’m super lucky that I can have my waterbirth in a hospital room because they all have pools. I’d be very anxious about something going wrong if I wasn’t in a hospital. At least this way if it all turns to custard I can be quickly wheeled down the hall for a c-section rather than needing to be transported to a hospital.

I can see why your husband would worry if you’re not in a hospital but at the end of the day it’s your body and your choice - put your foot down lol

Def put your foot down; I can how he might be concerned about you not giving birth in a hospital but to say he doesn't want you to have a water birth is really weird.
You're the one who will be giving birth and he should be there to support you and your decisions when it comes down to the birth. I'll be honest it might be horrible but if my husband were being like that I'd be tempted to say I didn't want him as a birthing partner as it's his job to tell people what you want during the birth and if he has such strong views which go against what you want I'd be concerned he wouldn't be fighting your corner when you need him to.

Def put your foot down; I can how he might be concerned about you not giving birth in a hospital but to say he doesn't want you to have a water birth is really weird.
You're the one who will be giving birth and he should be there to support you and your decisions when it comes down to the birth. I'll be honest it might be horrible but if my husband were being like that I'd be tempted to say I didn't want him as a birthing partner as it's his job to tell people what you want during the birth and if he has such strong views which go against what you want I'd be concerned he wouldn't be fighting your corner when you need him to.
My OH can be quite stubborn and since last time the birth went well, he doesn't want to have it any other way. A bit like when he goes to a restaurant, ordered something he likes and then, everytime we would go back, he would only take that dish, because he knows it's good and he knows it's safe. I think that's how he thinks. It's weird but honestly he will have nothing to say then anyways. I will put my foot down and my midwife is a feminist and a mother of 10, she will not hold her tongue.:lol: He's scared of the unknown, he just doesn't want to acknowledge it.

Hi all. After our antenatal class yesterday I’ve become quite interested in the idea of a water birth. I’m a FTM so don’t have any way to compare it to what a “normal” birth would be like. I’m just looking for peoples experiences really (good and bad!). Did you think it was good? Does the water really help with pain? Any down sides you didn’t expect?

Congratulations on your baby! Did you get your waterbirth? :)

Congratulations on your baby! Did you get your waterbirth? :)

Thank you :)

No I didn’t sadly. I had to be induced because baby stopped moving, so no water birth for me. :( My full birth story is in my pregnancy journal if you want to read in more detail x

Thank you :)

No I didn’t sadly. I had to be induced because baby stopped moving, so no water birth for me. :( My full birth story is in my pregnancy journal if you want to read in more detail x

That's a shame but a healthy baby is all that matters. Same thing happened to me with my first x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back