Water Birth!

Discussion in 'Labour & Birth' started by WinterWolf, Dec 1, 2018.

1. WinterWolf

WinterWolf Well-Known Member

Hi all. After our antenatal class yesterday I’ve become quite interested in the idea of a water birth. I’m a FTM so don’t have any way to compare it to what a “normal” birth would be like. I’m just looking for peoples experiences really (good and bad!). Did you think it was good? Does the water really help with pain? Any down sides you didn’t expect?

2. Donna88

Donna88 Well-Known Member

I haven't had one but my sister has 4 children; she had a water birth with her 3rd and 4th and she swears by water births. She was shocking with her first 2, she admits herself she wa useless with the pain and just screamed. However after her first water birth she was adamant she was having another for her next baby.

I want to have one this time around; the only thing I will say is be aware that if you're going to the hospital to have your baby the pool may already be in use when you need it or other complications might mean you can't have the water birth so have a back up plan in place as well.

3. WinterWolf

Ah that’s great to hear, thank you! Yes I will definitely have a back up plan.

I’m quite lucky that the hospital I’m going to has a birthing pool in every room (except 2 which are for high risks births so I wouldn’t be in there unless the others were all full anyway). I know mum and bubs both have to have no risk factors or complications to use the water so hopefully we can use it. I’ve had a complication free pregnancy so far, hopefully it doesn’t all go to pot when it’s go time...

4. Donna88

Donna88 Well-Known Member

Wow that's fantastic.
    There's only one at my hospital but I have been told it's an underused commodity so fingers crossed it'll be available for me.

5. D3bbie

D3bbie Well-Known Member

I had a water birth last time and it was lovely. It really helped with the pain and calmed me down. I used a pool noodle under my arms to stay afloat and a pillow on the side of the pool to rest on. I wasn’t allowed gas and air and the water really helped take the edge off.

You can always get out if it’s not for you.

6. Princess81

Princess81 Well-Known Member

Water births are amazing, I have only seen good things x

7. MissKW

MissKW Well-Known Member

I sadly didn't get the pool birth I wanted as all pool rooms were taken, but during early labour I ran a warm bath at home and it was heaven, really helped me to relax etc.
    It's definitely worth it if you can, I'm determined to have one next time even if it means staying at home and hiring a pool!
    Apparently it's supposed to help prevent tearing also? Not sure if that's entirely true but it definitely helps for a more relaxed and pleasant experience for mother and baby

8. WinterWolf

That's for the insight ladies. So nice to hear only good things about water births. I'm definitely going to give it a go if I can! I've now enrolled in my hospital's water birthing class. :) Hopefully all goes well and I can do it!

9. MoominGirl

MoominGirl Well-Known Member

I wanted a water birth as I'd heard so many good things about them. I even picked the birth centre based on availability of pools as I didn't want to get there and find there wasn't one available. Sadly I got neither the water birth or the birth centre due to the complications we had so I would say go with an open mind as if there are any issues and you need monitored then the pool is the first thing to go!! If there are no issues I would definitely want to try it. You can always get out of you don't like it.

10. WinterWolf

The midwife made it pretty clear that if there’s any risk/minor complication you’re out of the water straight away, so I’m not going to go into it assuming I’ll be able to give birth in the water. I view it as something only a lucky few actually can do and I hope I’m one of them. :) we’ll see though.

I hope you and your son are doing well x