water birth

DohaRose

Reaction score
Hello all!

I am curious as to how many of you have had a water birth for your first birth? I guess to some it might not matter whether its your first birth or second etc, but I mentioned it to a few people and they were surprised suggesting that I am unaware of the pain I will be in and would probably want an epidural. I was hoping to do this but have gotten quite anxious as of late, so now I am unsure! Just wanted to hear your opinions/experiences/stories!

This is my first and I am the biggest wimp ever! ! Iv had food poisoning last couple of days and the cramps at one point reduced me to tears! Water is meant to help with pain relief and you can use gas and air whilst in the pool. Also if you feel it's to much you can get out and have the epidural as long as you do it in time. There gets to a point they won't do it if your too fat into labour as it won't work in time or something like that. I don't fancy an epidural however I will go with the flow if I need it il get out and have it. Don't let anyone scare you my parents have done it to me and now I just tell them to shut up and il make my own mind up when it happens. X

I laboured in the pool for a couple of hours but found it so uncomfortable :( the water was nice but I couldn't get into a good position and the hard floor of the bath made it worse. So I gave up in the end - but it was nice to feel clean and warm!!

This is my first pregnancy and I really want a water birth.

The idea of being spread eagled across a bed fills me with dread and I quite like the idea of being able to give a helping hand into the world for my child.

Obviously pain may take over but only time will tell!

D x

I also laboured in the pool for a few hours and I absolutely loved it. It's all warm and floaty and def helped a lot with the pain. I wasn't progressing fast enough so had to get out eventually, but would've done the whole thing in there if I could! You can def give it a go and you can always get out xxxx

This is my 3rd baby and I would love a water birth I laboured in water with my 1st and it was so relaxing but got out to give birth and didn't have time with 2nd

Im keeping quite an open mind next time.

I know what I dont want, that being epidural.. I didnt get this last time, but was induced and monitored so couldnt get the pool. But things happened really quick for me too.

Ill perhaps try a water birth next time.

xxx

I spent about an hour of my first labour in the pool. Unfortunately, my midwife kept making me go into a position that was really uncomfortable (sitting back) so I had to get out because I couldn't deal with it. If she'd been a little bit more helpful with my positioning to listen to the baby then I'd of stayed in - the pain really ramped up when I got out. Might have been coincidental though! Xx

I laboured in the pool with my first. It was heaven and I found it better than my epidural. With the water it eased the pain, I was comfortable and the pain was bearable (I had to get out as my body wasn't coping with Labour and my heart rate was too high and they needed to get iv fluids into me). With the epidural I felt really cut off, I had very little idea of what was going on down there and I felt like I wasn't really 'there' during the Labour. People that are saying you will want an epidural with your first are just hazarding guesses. I know many women who have done a first Labour totally drug free. The thing is each labour is so so completely different you just don't know what you're going to want and I think aiming for a water birth is a wonderful place to start and aim for. If the water isn't enough you can always ask for an epidural and get out of the pool. The choice is entirely yours and you can always change your mind

I wanted a water birth with my son however he pooped inside me so I couldn't have one, I'm hoping with this one i can X

I had 'half' a water birth with my 1st lol..

I was only in there 30/45mins but had to get out due to MW making water to hot and my LBs heartrate rocketed then had meconium in my waters. So had to go on the trace.

Personally I thought it helped ease the pain!

Ppl cant assume ull want or need an epi, it all depends on you and how you cope. I delivered on just G&A and hoping to do the same this time

Defo have a waterbirth if u want one hun, u can always get out if u dnt like it xx

Last edited:
I laboured in the bath for a long time at home (we had a massive corner bath back then) and I loved it. Got to hospital fully expecting a water birth and there were no spare pools was gutted.

This time I would like to give a waterbirth a go! My midwife advised against delivering in water because Sofia shot out so fast she tore me everywhere, so she said that is at risk of happening again if midwife can't see properly, but I will labour in water as long as I can! xx

It's funny, I am an absolute water baby but I don't like the thought of a water birth or labouring in water at all. I think I would feel less in control with it being slippery? I've been trying out positions in yoga and think I will find kneeling on the bed, resting my arms and head on the headboard, so I can rock and move my hips the best, but who knows! lol xx

It's our first too, and I'm going for a water birth, but staying fairly flexible. I suppose I might change my mind, or find I can't for some reason, or that there's no pool available... it's the ideal though. Everybody I've spoken to who have had a water birth said it did wonders for easing the pain though! My boss's wife has done 3 out of 4 births in a pool.
Each birth and each mother is different though, so don't let people scare you into not doing something you might fancy - after all, they won't hold you to it if you change your mind! ;)

I laboured in a pool for a couple of hours but it wasn't very warm, I had to keep getting out to pee and it slowed contractions - I was over 8cm getting in!
This time I'm going for a home birth but am still tempted to get in my bath as I figure it will be less messy lol but I wouldn't bother with a pool again personally.

I wouldn't give birth any other way, I have had 4 water births now and one hospital birth on a bed (my first) and I hated it, had a awful time every drug going, spinal block everything, put me off doing it again for a good few years, so next time I booked into a midwife unit and had a water birth with the next 4 and didn't need anything but alittle gas and air when pushing, it really relaxed me, took the pain away from my back and made me really just chill and not panic, I'm most definitely planning a water birth with my last one and I'm really scared incase I can't have one lol x

I wanted a water birth with this one however the mw has told me that because I lost quite a lot of blood with my 2nd baby I might have to go to the consultation ward but it depends how much blood I lost!! I'm really hoping I can X x

I was desperate for a water birth for my daughter but my birth didn't go as planned! My waters went without a gush or without constant trickle after so I was marked high risk. Whilst waiting for room I got in bath at maternity ward but unfortunately I had a back to back labour with no gaps between contractions and the water did not help one bit! However my friends who had normal births really rated the pool birth. This time I'm making no plan whatsoever - I'll take it as it comes and try whatever works on the day!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back